Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
plinko83
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Player Development Question

I'm relatively new to OOTP and still trying to learn. I traded for a prospect last year and he generally had a decent season and ended the year as a potential 4.5 stars. on opening day of the next season he's down to 2.5 stars.

If it just "one of those things" or did I possibly do something wrong with him?
Attached Images
plinko83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

at some point between the playoffs and spring training there seems to be a point at which prospects can* SIGNIFICANTLY lose talent - and i am not talking about scouting inaccuracies or small incremental changes over time.

i've looked in profiles becaue i thought it was happening, but wasn't sure. it just happened recently when i checked... this guy was a stud prospect in the profile editor... now he's 1/2 of what he was when he ended the previous season. it always happend when i take my eye off them during the offseason.. all of a sudden they turn to total crap within amount of time, relatively speaking.

... and i'm pretty sure it all happened at once, not multiple changes throughout the offseason... just one day he went from stud to average in his REAL potential ratings, not scouting bs. not just some -1 to 3 to a rating... but large chunks subtracted at once.

if i ever get motivated i'll take some screenshots of a ton of high-end prospects and sim day-by-day until i see it happen... then figure out if it's one specific day at which it is calculated to happen or not. as well as how likely it is... maybe it has a mirror-image effect and the same percentage of crap players get a massive bump.

maybe it's happenign throughout the year, too.... but during the season i tightly control the promotions of my high-end prospects... his ratings likely did not change during the season - at least not as drastically as i described. i would have noticed.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko83 View Post
I'm relatively new to OOTP and still trying to learn. I traded for a prospect last year and he generally had a decent season and ended the year as a potential 4.5 stars. on opening day of the next season he's down to 2.5 stars.

If it just "one of those things" or did I possibly do something wrong with him?
Check out his stats, injury history and progression before to draft / trade for them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Is there a logical reason why this would happen?
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
StanfordBerkely
Minors (Single A)

What's your Development Budget? I've always mazed mine out at $36,000,000. Never had a problem with prospects becoming busts with that. Although I have noticed that I've not been able to change my development budget in my last game for some odd reason...
StanfordBerkely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanfordBerkely View Post
What's your Development Budget? I've always mazed mine out at $36,000,000. Never had a problem with prospects becoming busts with that. Although I have noticed that I've not been able to change my development budget in my last game for some odd reason...
Perhaps you passed the deadline for changing this budget and didn't realize?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanfordBerkely View Post
I understood that PD budget is for your prospects to become good or bad players quickly rather than slowly...

Never understood that a big PD budget you can get better players out of your draft classes. Maybe you are great getting prospects and that budget helps them to grow faster

Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
NYYANKS98
Minors (Double A)

Yeah this is an issue I get a lot as well, with player in their early 20s immediately dropping from say, a 4 1/2 or 5 star potential and a current 3 rating to immediately becoming a 2/3 guy for absolutely no reason.
NYYANKS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
StanfordBerkely
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Perhaps you passed the deadline for changing this budget and didn't realize?
Nah man. In my last game it didn't give me the chance to change it at any point during the offseason.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
StanfordBerkely
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
I understood that PD budget is for your prospects to become good or bad players quickly rather than slowly...

Never understood that a big PD budget you can get better players out of your draft classes. Maybe you are great getting prospects and that budget helps them to grow faster

I've noticed that it also helps prevent your major league talent from having their skills diminish.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Most of the claims in this thread aside from NoOne's are speculation.
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:24 AM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post

yeah, i also think it just increases probability of development.

but, it won't turn a pile of poop into an all-star.

and what i spoke of above: it was a maxed 36M dev budget. i think it (large swift drop in talent) only happens in the minors? not 100% sure on that part. it's happened enough when scouting was accurate that i am actively watching, now i can convert the 200(250) profile scale to my ratings scale in my head almost instantly now, lol.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-30-2016 at 01:27 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote