Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Round-robin & Double Elimination Tournaments

Is there any chance that these might sneak in to OOTP 15?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

No.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

Yes.

(There's always a chance when enough of us want something and we keep letting Markus know that we want that something.)
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Yes.

(There's always a chance when enough of us want something and we keep letting Markus know that we want that something.)
I want tournaments!
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Oh, God, not this again.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Well, if the Caribbean winter leagues are ever to be more realistic, then round-robins are necessary. Three of the four Caribbean winter leagues use a round-robin format for the first stage of their playoffs (as does the Caribbean Series).
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm really hoping some form of tournament mode is added to OOTP. I actually started a thread about this just the other day. Now that it's going to be easier to use historical teams throughout history, tournaments would be a blast to run, especially if the game could compile stats for the games. Would love for the game to come with a couple easy bracket setups involving 32 and 64 teams formats.

I love the round robin idea a lot too.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
Is there any chance that these might sneak in to OOTP 15?
No, sorry.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
dmytron

And what about OOTP 16?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, sorry.
Ah, well. Something to hope for in the future.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #11
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, sorry.
Crossing my fingers for it in OOTP 16!
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
thriller13
Minors (Single A)

I hope we see this someday. Also better schedule creators.
thriller13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I'm really hoping some form of tournament mode is added to OOTP. I actually started a thread about this just the other day. Now that it's going to be easier to use historical teams throughout history, tournaments would be a blast to run, especially if the game could compile stats for the games. Would love for the game to come with a couple easy bracket setups involving 32 and 64 teams formats.

I love the round robin idea a lot too.
I was thinking about trying to do a League Cup for my dynasty which, like the Football League's Capital One Cup, would take place during the season, rounds would automatically intersperse (thread) throughout the season, all 92 teams would participate and be assigned seeds based on the previous season's standings, there would be two rounds of byes, settings of subsequent rounds would depend on which seeds remained in the tournament, it would all culminate in a championship round, and the stats would be separate from regular season and playoff stats. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?

I guess that's a big no.

chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I was thinking about trying to do a League Cup for my dynasty which, like the Football League's Capital One Cup, would take place during the season, rounds would automatically intersperse (thread) throughout the season, all 92 teams would participate and be assigned seeds based on the previous season's standings, there would be two rounds of byes, settings of subsequent rounds would depend on which seeds remained in the tournament, it would all culminate in a championship round, and the stats would be separate from regular season and playoff stats. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?

I guess that's a big no.

Presumably, but it's a cool idea lol.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

It is such a cool idea that on a lark, I spent three hours across a couple of days figuring out when during the year/season the Cup would run, how many teams would get a first round bye, how many teams would get a second round bye, how the seedings would work, how the regular season for each division would be affected .... I've even been giving thought to how I would structure the .lsdl schedule file each season to accommodate it. Oh man, I want to do this one really bad.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:04 AM   #16
dward1
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
It is such a cool idea that on a lark, I spent three hours across a couple of days figuring out when during the year/season the Cup would run, how many teams would get a first round bye, how many teams would get a second round bye, how the seedings would work, how the regular season for each division would be affected .... I've even been giving thought to how I would structure the .lsdl schedule file each season to accommodate it. Oh man, I want to do this one really bad.
what's the problem with scheduling it manually? shouldn't be a big hassle to schedule 31 games or so. Of course stats will be saved to either postseason or regular season but that's a minor issue with so few games being played. I'd save them to postseason so you can see during the tournament's duration who is carrying their teams cup runs. I think I might add this into my world next season as well!
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
Ike348
All Star Starter

What if you had a large association where you had, say, 24 teams (all league champions) in some sort of tournament? How would stats differentiate from their normal league stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
what's the problem with scheduling it manually? shouldn't be a big hassle to schedule 31 games or so. Of course stats will be saved to either postseason or regular season but that's a minor issue with so few games being played. I'd save them to postseason so you can see during the tournament's duration who is carrying their teams cup runs. I think I might add this into my world next season as well!
I'm thinking about scheduling it manually, and I have a bit of time before I have to worry about how to do that, but there are a few things that create a challenge for me:
  • I have 92 teams in my league, and the Cup tournament I am envisioning will be best of 3 wins in the first two rounds, and best of 7 in subsequent rounds. So we're talking about anywhere from 244 games (if all rounds are sweeps) to 397 games (if all rounds go the distance). That's a lot of manual games to schedule.
  • Because they are all "best of" series, I need to keep a real close eye on the thing to make sure that rounds that have already been decided don't play additional games. This becomes more challenging in best of 7 series, and a slip up becomes a lot easier with more moving parts.
  • I definitely do NOT want to lump these stats in with regular season or playoff stats. It may be a minor issue to you, but it's a major deal to me, because i have a complex dynasty that I've spent way too much time on to punt on this point. Also, I already have playoff rounds planned for the league at the end of the season, and I don't want to pollute those stats with Cup stats. They are separate animals. If the game keep running stats for Exhibition games that would help a ton. I'm almost certain it doesn't, though, because exhibition games are practically by definition throwaway games.
Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not pounding you here. These are good thoughts.

P.S.: You know what might help me with my stats issue and solve a lot of the problem for me? Creating one additional type of game in the manual scheduler: Tournament (in addition to Regular Season, Spring Training, Exhibition and Playoff Game). Markus wouldn't have to code an entire bracket-oriented tournament structure to help me, but adding one more game type and allowing us to keep stats just for that game type, I think, would solve maybe 75% of my challenge.

What would solve another 10 or 15 points of the problem for me would be to allow us to manually schedule "best of" series in the manual scheduler versus a set number of games. This way I could say, manually schedule tournament games in a best of seven format over these next seven days. I could then manually handle the bracketology myself.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

(By the way, I've worked at Internet companies and understand from first hand experience that simply adding an additional game type, as well as a separate stats structure for it, is almost certainly way more complex than it sounds in my head, and what seems like a simple change here can create breakage to several processes there, there and there. I wonder whether what I'm suggesting is a whole lot easier than creating a supported bracketed tournament structure, or whether it's hardly different at all and is 98% as complex as a whole supported structure would be.)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
Ike348
All Star Starter

I was wondering if you could have a new league (English Cup) and schedule all regular season games from that league. Then the stats might show up as "2013 Manchester (EPL)", and on the next line, "2013 Manchester (CUP)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote