Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Arlie Latham
Major Leagues

I'm Afraid to Hit a Button!

I am not looking for a solution to my OOTP 9 Crashing problem here, just to share my experience. The game crashes at random times, with no discernible cause. The only error message, of course, is that the game has stopped working and the option of: would you like the game to search the USA today horoscopes before closing?

I see some posts that suggest players to remove the game and do a full reinstall. I've owned the game for all of three days, so if it's unstable already, I don't feel that reinstalling would be worth it.

I found OOTP 8 to be incredibly stable and crash-free. However, OOTP 9 has crashed 25 times in the last two hours today. OOTP 8, 9, or 10...I don't care which it is. I'll just play the one that can complete a whole season without detonating.

If I pay $70 for OOTP 10 when it comes out, can I have the stable version?

Well, here's crossing the ol' fingers (Exit Arlie as he futilely goes to run OOTP 9 for a week and hopes it doesn't crash before the WEEKLY save)

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/Arlie_Latham/
Arlie Latham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Are you using Vista?

My experience with OOTP 8 and 9 with XP was rock solid. Virtually zero crashes. That covered a wide range of machines, RAM, disk space and AV/firewall programs. Frankly I had not seen a crash of significance since v2006.

The experience with Vista has been one of extremes. OOTP 9 ran flawlessly on a new desktop for 3 months. Inexplicably it started crashing as described in the first two links below. A complete uninstall, defrag, registry cleaning, updates and diagnostic, resulted in it working for about a week. Since then it crashes only when I access the FA page. Either by the button or through the menu/manager page. What concerns me is each crash provides fairly detailed info in the log yet no one seems to be able to use that info to pinpoint the cause. What are such logs used for?

At the other end OOTP 9 works fine on my employers Vista laptop. This box has less RAM less diskspace and more armour protection than some military fortresses, yet OOTP works like a charm.

There are a few things I do know about my crashes.
  • It is not a corrupt file, database or HDD. I successfully copied leagues from my problem Vista desktop to other computers and they work fine.
  • Except for the item that crashes OOTP, the game works fine. I have downloaded and updated my online leagues successfully on the problem machine. I have simmed and played games in my solo leagues. As long as I don't access the FA page, everything works normally.
  • The crashes have no effect on whatever league file is loaded. It seems as if the file isn't really there. If I dont save the file before a crash it reloads exactly as it was. OTOH I can sim, or make roster moves and save, then the "new" file will be loaded the next time I try.
I'm not sure this info is useful but thought it was worth adding to the list.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...eze-vista.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...wing-data.html

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
CaptainObvious
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
This problem was fixed for 2 of us that were having the problem by installing to a custom directory. Apparently something gets messed up when using the default directory in 64-bit Vista (I'm guessing the fact that it puts it in the "Program Files (x86)" folder and not "Program Files").
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like it worked.

Kudos to Nutlaw who took a bit of grief on behalf of OOTP and kept cool about it.

Thank you Nutlaw.

BTW I just have regular Vista Home Edition.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 05-23-2009 at 11:28 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote