Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 02-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #41
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

1929 Shortstops Report - Pittsburgh Miners

* all ages as of October '29

L/R Pete Asher, 22
Acquired: Trade with Cleveland, March '29.

We got him in the George Simpson trade with the Foresters, and while he didn't crush at AAA the way I thought he would based on his '28 season, he still got called up and performed very well at the plate, especially the last month. His defense has been great in the minors, but he had some major error problems in the big leagues last year. 19 errors in 43 starts (compared with 15 in AAA). But, still had a positive ZR. If he can get the errors shored up, I think he'll make a very solid defensive SS. And if he can keep hitting like that, he's a 4-5 WAR player. Will get the majority of starts next year at short.

R/R Doc Nowack, 30
Acquired: 1920 draft, round 2

As you can tell by his photo, Nowack is not happy right now. He expects to be a starter and my scout thinks he still makes for a decent one, though his stats have been lackluster the last few years. He had a nice stretch to end the season, and was still getting starts against lefties. He can still play a decent shortstop, but Asher's young legs give him an advantage in the field.

Nowack has never played anything but shortstop in is career, and this spring I'll give him some reps at second and third just to give him some much needed versatility.

R/R George Craig, 24
Acquired: 1926 draft, round 6

My second ever draft pick (behind Charlie Jackson) as the GM of the Miners'. He had a bit of a breakthrough this season with the bat and did a solid job in AA Birmingham and had a successful 8 game run in AAA. He's versatile and a hard worker. He's going to maybe be league average defensively at short and is better suited at 3rd defensively. But, he'll be the shortstop for St. Paul this year and will be looking to be a bench player at some point in the bigs.

R/R Ed Stewart, 21
Acquired: 1926 draft, 11th round

My top prospect and BNN currently has him as #13 overall and the highest ranked SS. Heartland League stats are hard to analyze too seriously with the 3 bum teams in the league and Stewart did a lot of damage against those teams and not as much against the 4 affiliated teams.

But, overall the numbers look nice and they get him a promotion to Birmingham. He plays a solid shortstop, but I gave him some starts at both 3rd and 2nd this year to up his versatility and he took to third base incredibly well. In his 24 starts at 3rd, he didn't make a single error. His 12 games at second weren't nearly as pretty, but I'm thinking if he can get to full experience at third base he'll be a top notch defender and if the power in his bat is as real as the scouts think it is, he could make for a great third baseman.

Tidbits

Last year's 1st round pick (and 9th overall) was high school shortstop Johnny "Shadow" Guzzo, and his debut season was pretty ugly. He finished with a .192 batting average and it's amazing he was able to get it up that high. In June, he was as low as .145. He played solid defense, which I expected but the bat was a major disappointment. He killed the ball in high school, so I'll give Guzzo some more time to figure some things out, and he'll repeat as the shortstop in Jackson.

My 2nd round pick in '27 was Dick Simpson who hardly played his first year, then got a full season of at bats between Jackson and Spokane. He showed a little bit of promise with the bat and seems to have a good eye. He's another guy who can play an okay shortstop but is probably better suited learning another position on the infield. He'll repeat in Spokane to start the season.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #42
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

1929 Leftfielders report - Pittsburgh Miners

A little harder to organize these guys because so many of them have played multiple outfield positions, but I did my best!

*all ages as of October, 29

L/L Tom Hopkins, 27
Acquired: 1921 draft, round 3

He can really hit and he's proven that the last few years. His doubles numbers have continued to grow and he hit 54 of them this past year, which was the most in the FABL. He lost a few starts to lefties as the year went on, as I was trying out different lineups and he's definitely weaker against them than righties.

If he was just league average defensively, he'd have LF sewed up for another few seasons at least, but the problem is he's not even close to that. He has gotten marginally better the last few years, but he's not a guy you want running around in the cavernous Fitz leftfield. He's gotten some playing time at 1st each season, and looks like he could be average there. If Swenson doesn't grab ahold of the 1st base job, Hopkins could be taking his place to keep his bat in the lineup.

R/R Eddie Wilson, 25
Acquired: 1925 draft, 1st round

After kind of teasing the Miners' organization for a few years since being the 5th overall pick in '25, Wilson had what looks like a breakout season with the bat. He pulverized the Century League though he has done decidedly less than that in his 63 career FABL at bats. I think he's a shoe-in to be a backup outfielder next year in Pittsburgh. He'll be 26, he's proven all he can in the minors, plays both corner outfield spots pretty well and he gives us a righty with some power which we need.

S/R Milo Nelson, 24
Acquired: 1923 draft, 8th round

I've screwed over Nelson a few times in the last few years, by demanding he increase his versatility and not only play left. He's been thrown out into centerfield and struggled in 114 starts across 2 levels. And last year he spent 89 games in right field learning the position and he didn't really take to it. But, at least he's got a rating in all 3 outfield positions now.

He drew a lot of walks, but his power numbers were down and combined with his struggles in right, he only had a 1.2 WAR. I think he's very likely to end up in St. Paul to start the season where he'll get to play left field all year and hopefully rake in his year 24 season.

L/L Babe West, 21
Acquired: 1925 draft, round 7

West is a slightly above average centerfielder who started playing some left this year and it looks like he could be elite defensively there, which begs the question if his bat will be enough. He's shown a little increase in pop this past year, and he'll get a chance to repeat in Birmingham to see if it is for real.

L/L Lennie Vaughn, 21
Acquired: 1928 draft, round 4

Despite fairly underwhelming numbers in college I chose him based on strong reports about his work ethic and my scout raving about his athletic abilities, and it is looking like it might pay off.

He's probably not cut out to play center full time but did a very strong job in leftfield and showed off his power and speed potential at two different levels, combining for 18 homers and 18 stolen bases and just 10 strikeouts (which is likely league totals noise). He might start the season in Gary, but he'll be in Birmingham at some point soon barring collapse.

Tidbits

21 year old Danny Carter came into the professional ranks as an infielder, but I stuck him out in left field all season long and slowly but surely he's gotten the hang of it. He hit 21 homers across C and B ball, but his numbers were propped up by the high offensive totals of the C-O-W league. His versatility will likely get him a spot in Gary next year. 19 year old Stan Wright was drafted in the 17th round in '28 and not much was expected of him, but when he finally got to play by the late summer in Jackson, he hit league average as a 19 year old. Which is something to write about relative to our other performances in Jackson.

Last edited by BadluckinOOTP; 02-09-2020 at 12:41 PM.
BadluckinOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:12 AM   #43
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

1929 Centerfield report - Pittsburgh Miners

*all ages as of December (we've moved forward!) 1929

L/L Jim Renfroe, 27
Acquired: Trade with Brooklyn, 1927

Even with Pool's emergence, I still think Renfroe is our best overall player, he just can't stay healthy. He missed the first 3 months of the season, not debuting in the FABL until June 24th, after missing 9 months after an injury on the final game in '28. He hit very well in his 6 weeks but fractured his ankle on August 3rd and was done for the year.

He's obviously got injury problems, which is worrisome. Injury ratings are hidden in this league, but I'm worried he's 'wrecked'. He's just an average defensive centerfielder and would be better in a corner for both defensive reasons and maybe injury ones as well? He showed some real pop in his short stint this year and when you combine that with his walk rate and speed and the fact that he's had bad luck babip wise his whole career, if he can get 600 at bats, he's going to put up some numbers.

R/R Tony Henderson, 26
Acquired: Trade with Montreal, 1926

Was part of my first trade as GM of the Miners. Had a solid rookie season but has struggled at the plate the last two seasons. Was the starting centerfielder opening day and got hurt, and missed almost a month. He struggled to hit before getting injured again in July and then spent a few weeks at St. Paul and he absolutely crushed the ball. He performed a lot better in his return to FABL play, and it gives me hope that he's a better hitter than he's shown the last few years. He hits lefties well, and can play a solid CF (though his numbers took a big dip this year in a small sample size), so he'll see some starts again this season.

S/R Jack Shelton, 25
Acquired: Minor League Signing, 1925

Made the team out of spring training because he was out of options after stupidly being called up in 1926 by the A.I. ( I presume), but he probably deserved to on the team anyways. Played a lot of CF to start the season with the injuries to Renfroe and Henderson and had a hot start, before setting down as the season went a long. Plays a solid centerfield and a less solid second base. Had a 9 percent walk rate, which is decent in this league and my scout really likes his eye and my new manager (who I'll talk about soon) wants to start him in CF and bat him leadoff, so I'm wondering if he didn't get some talent bumps. He runs well and even if he doesn't start, he makes for a great backup.

R/R Joe Taylor, 19
Acquired: 1928 draft, round 2

I think I hit the jackpot on this one. I took him in the 2nd round last year as a pitcher and fully intending on using him as that. I had a scouting report that said he was major league ready and I just assumed it was on the mound and he only had 12 plate appearances in high school at all.

But, I was wrong and the guy is a natural with the bat apparently. He destroyed the pitching at B and A ball, he had a rough first 2 weeks in Birmingham but then started crushing before doing the same in his brief FABL trial.

BNN doesn't even have him in the top 100 which is pretty wild, but he's in mine. I think he'll start in AAA, but if he's just that good at the plate, he'll be in CF in Pittsburgh before too long and Renfroe will just have to move over and go to left field.

Tidbits

24 year old Al Fletcher has a lot of speed and some pop (19 homers and 35 stolen bases) and plays all 3 outfield positions well. He progressed from Gary to St. Paul this year, and the switch hitter looks like a future bench player. 19 year old Al Haines was a 3rd round pick and taken the pick before Brooklyn's Art Summers, who is looking like a stud in the making. While Summers debuted in the FABL this year, Haines hit .192 for C ball Jackson. My scout likes his defense and thinks his bat will come around eventually, but thank goodness for Taylor in the 2nd round or my 28 draft (Guzzo and Haines) would be looking like a disaster so far.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #44
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

1929 Rightfielders report - Pittsburgh Miners

*all ages as of Jan. 1st, 1930

L/L Frank Lightbody, 23
Acquired: 1927 draft, 1st round

Had a tremendous season and was a lot better than I could have hoped for. Had a just okay spring training and started in AAA and had 3 great games, plus an injury to Henderson on the big club, got him called up. He started pretty much from the jump and just kept hitting and hitting and even got some down ballot MVP votes.

Led the league in triples which gives us the leader in both doubles and triples with Lightbody and Hopkins.

He plays a very good rightfield and I'd like to keep him there all year in 1930. He ended up getting 30 starts in center (where he's a bit below average) and 12 in left, but I'm hoping he starts 150 in right this season.

L/L Bob Burgess, 26
Acquired: 1924 draft, round 3

All bat and no glove. He received 30 less starts than the year before, and in the last few months of the season, he really struggled to get into the lineup. He can only play right (and plays it poorly) and it resulted in me having to move Lightbody to center and having the horror show that is a Hopkins, Lightbody, Burgess outfield defensively.

He only expects to be a bench player, and I think he makes for a very good one one if he can just concentrate on pinch and not have to spend much time in the field.

Bob Loser, 24
Acquired: 1926 draft, round 10

An unfortunate last name. Loser had a breakout season in the uneven Heartland League, showing some real power and a solid eye as well. He plays a good enough right field and will get a crack at the Dixie League and I'll be interested to see if the eye and power come with him.