Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Prestor_John
Bat Boy

Sim Speed/Performance?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if FHM5 has made improvements in speed or performance specifically around simulating across multiple days? I loved FMH2 (slowness was present there as well) and I did purchase FHM4 but I ended up returning it because I felt it like ran way too slowly.

The new game looks great and I'd love to try it again but if I can't get through a entire season in an hour or so then it's just not realistic for me. I'm a casual gamer with a busy work and family life and I just can't dedicate the hours upon hours waiting for games to pass.
Prestor_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

The speed is about the same as in FHM 4. Without multithreading at some point I donīt think that will change.

Your only option is to play with less leagues for example, which should speed up the game (e.g. a setup with just NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL is much faster).
Old 09-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
The speed is about the same as in FHM 4. Without multithreading at some point I donīt think that will change.

Your only option is to play with less leagues for example, which should speed up the game (e.g. a setup with just NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL is much faster).
I'm ordering the game as soon as I send this message...between this and OOTP I highly enjoy both and support both games.

That being said.....you mention speeding up the game by having just an NHL/AHL/ECHL/CHL setup. However, is that really an option? Previous versions of FHM have the same options but the unplayable leagues still are playing the background to some extent and thus slow the game up. In OOTP (yeah, I know, it's not the same game or have the same number of years development) one can simply pick and choose precisely what leagues play and what leagues don't....and the leagues that don't play....well, they don't play....nothing...nada....which is great for people like me who like to sim a season fast then spend hours going back over the simmed season looking at the stats and results.

If FHM5 is still the same as previous versions I really think this is an option you need to implement soon. A person like me, for example, would only enable the NHL and AHL (maybe the ECHL and CHL, too) and would rather leave it up to the game to just randomly import imaginary players from imaginary international leagues as I progress through my sim.

As I said, though, ordering the game in one minute anyway.
scootermojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

I hope 5 isn't as laggy as versions past. Ootp runs perfectly for me but FHM always seems laggy and less responsive.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Leagues you put to non-playable do not play.

Just for reference times when I sim on my computer (always from game start on August 5th to June 30th):

Modern mode, all leagues playable: roughly 40 minutes
Modern mode, only NHL/AHL: 13 minutes
Fictional with NHL/AHL setup: 3 minutes

So the number of leagues playable makes a big difference. If you donīt care about international tournaments or leagues outside the NHL/AHL/CHL then the 2018 setup in fictional is your best option. If you want everything from the normal modern game but you want to speed it up, select only leagues that really are interesting to you.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Leagues you put to non-playable do not play.
With all due respect, that is simply not true. Just for a test to see just in case I missed something I started a modern game. As the attached images show, you can see I clearly only have the NHL and AHL as playable and all other leagues as unplayable. However, I simmed to Jan. 1st and when I click on the world link and then click on another league you can see that the game is still very clearly simulating all of those other leagues in the background. The only difference is that I can partake in the NHL and AHL but not the other leagues.

So, yeah, the leagues you do not select are still playing....you are only checking the option to personally partake in those leagues...as opposed to having them not play at all and not exist. And this is what's eating up sim time and it's exampled as you illustrated: 3 minutes for a fictional NHL/AHL setup.....13 minutes for a modern mode with only the NHL/AHL selected. Why the additional 10 minutes? Because all of the other leagues are still playing in the background even if you select them not to.

Granted, the league's aren't producing team standings, team stats, etc...but the game is still producing individual stats for all of those "unplayable" leagues. I'm no computer expert but I imagine the 10 minute difference between a fictional NHL/AHL only and a modern NHL/AHL only with all other leagues set as "unplayable" is because of leagues such as Serbian Hockey League (which I clearly don't have selected as playable) still producing individual statistics......whereas in the fictional NHL/AHL setup you are only literally getting 2 leagues and that's it. That's what I'm saying the difference is....when I play OOTP and select MLB only....there isn't the Dutch baseball league generating stats in the background...it's MLB and MLB only. Why can't this be the same for FHM in that if I select NHL/AHL only I get just that without anything else silently running in the background like Elite Ice Hockey League of which I have no interest in?
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 09-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

They donīt play, no schedules are generated, no games played, teams donīt need a full roster, ... (I know that because I coded it ). Player stats creation (which is important for development) takes only seconds. The big difference between setup one (full game with NHL/AHL playable) and the second setup (fictional setup with real NHL/AHL) is the player DB: the first one still has roughly 100.000 players active (+ a few 10.000 retired players as well), the second scenario has only a few hundred players.

So you have 3 options:

1. Play with everything and accept that it takes a while to simulate.
2. Play with just a handful of leagues that interest you and you get a much faster game.
3. Play with a real-2018 NHL/AHL/(CHL) setup which is very fast.

Should be something for everyone in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Is ECHL playable?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
They donīt play, no schedules are generated, no games played, teams donīt need a full roster, ... (I know that because I coded it ). Player stats creation (which is important for development) takes only seconds. The big difference between setup one (full game with NHL/AHL playable) and the second setup (fictional setup with real NHL/AHL) is the player DB: the first one still has roughly 100.000 players active (+ a few 10.000 retired players as well), the second scenario has only a few hundred players.

So you have 3 options:

1. Play with everything and accept that it takes a while to simulate.
2. Play with just a handful of leagues that interest you and you get a much faster game.
3. Play with a real-2018 NHL/AHL/(CHL) setup which is very fast.

Should be something for everyone in my opinion.
Regarding the 1st part...makes total sense in regards to the database. But I'm a little confused here....I've never seen on previous versions how to play a modern game with just the NHL/AHL/CHL setup that's very fast. Is this something new for FHM5? Or is option 3 the basic NHL fictional setup but without any history of the NHL?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermojo View Post
Regarding the 1st part...makes total sense in regards to the database. But I'm a little confused here....I've never seen on previous versions how to play a modern game with just the NHL/AHL/CHL setup that's very fast. Is this something new for FHM5? Or is option 3 the basic NHL fictional setup but without any history of the NHL?
When you start a fictional game you can select the real 2018 setup (either only NHL, NHL/AHL or NHL/AHL/CHL). You can also select to use this setup with fictional player or real player. I think we added it in FHM 2 but I might be wrong about this.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Is ECHL playable?
Since FHM 1, yes.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
scootermojo
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
When you start a fictional game you can select the real 2018 setup (either only NHL, NHL/AHL or NHL/AHL/CHL). You can also select to use this setup with fictional player or real player. I think we added it in FHM 2 but I might be wrong about this.
Ok...I've seen that option before. But, isn't it the case when you start your game in that mode in comes without any history of the NHL? There's no past champions or award winners no career league leaders, no Lemieux's, Gretzky's, Orr's, Hasek's, etc., before whatever you make as your game continues? Your league history basically starts when you start the game?