Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Inky
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Backup goalie always playing

I am playing only in GM mode and I have an issue where I have Holtby as a 4 star goalie and Grubauer as a 2.5 star. Julien is my coach and he keeps playing Grabauer the same amount of games and the last month Holtby has played barely any. I know Grabauer is on a little hot streak but this is a complete joke that a coach would play a 2.5 star goalie over a 4 star goalie this much. how can this be fixed, and if it cannot be fixed can I please have a refund because it is terrible and HIGHLY unrealistic. The stupid thing is that Grabauer numbers are worse (3.00 & .895) compared to Holtbys (2.84 & .915) so even though thought Grabauer is on a hot steak his numbers are still lower, and how can he be on a hot steak for two months with numbers that bad.

(the only reason holtby has just as many games as Grabauer is because i coached for about a half a month when i fired my first coach(
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Working on some changes to make the AI less likely to use a backup if the starter is above a certain level of quality, even if the backup is much hotter.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

This is a massive issue with the game but the fhm team is very good at fixing issues as they arise so I would say hold off on a refund. The game plays solid for the most part and once that's fixed it should help your enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 AM   #4
herm1978
Minors (Single A)

I guess your AI likes Holtby as much as mine does!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=283098
herm1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
ForTheGamer
Bat Boy

I think I might've figured out what could be causing this. When I play a team, the goalie settings are all set up with 0s across the board, which means that everything is ignored.

If everything is ignored, I'm guessing it just does whatever if feels like doing which is why backups get more playing time then normal. Now, I'm just using my team that I've taken over as an example, but I'm guessing that's probably what's the problem with the AI teams.

If I had to guess a solution is that you might either have to have a "default" for each team so that it would play backups less. Maybe you could tie it into how the coach's playing style works or something.

Anyways, this is just a guess at a possible cause. I can't say that's 100% the problem. Hope this helps out.
ForTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
Inky
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the reply, i love the game and will continue to purchase each year but that kind of bug i lose my mind over.

I dont really know what i did but something has changed and it seems to be going smoothly at the moment. It sucks that i lost a half a year because of this and since holtby is starting i am 10-4 and now back to .500. I would restart. But i am 4 years into my aves rebuild, so i will keep chugging along.

I dont really know what i did to fix it but i did play with some items, fired my coach, and possible more things, wish i could remember as it was a while ago. So hopefully it doesnt happen again as it is a sucky thing to happen.
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheGamer View Post
I think I might've figured out what could be causing this. When I play a team, the goalie settings are all set up with 0s across the board, which means that everything is ignored.

If everything is ignored, I'm guessing it just does whatever if feels like doing which is why backups get more playing time then normal. Now, I'm just using my team that I've taken over as an example, but I'm guessing that's probably what's the problem with the AI teams.

If I had to guess a solution is that you might either have to have a "default" for each team so that it would play backups less. Maybe you could tie it into how the coach's playing style works or something.

Anyways, this is just a guess at a possible cause. I can't say that's 100% the problem. Hope this helps out.
No, you're misinterpreting this completely. At the start of a new game, every team's goalie settings default to 0; the coaching AI will set them up shortly thereafter (and regularly re-evaluate them.) That'll happen for every AI-run playable team, and your team if you're playing as GM-only. They will not remain at 0.

If you're playing as GM/Head Coach, they'll remain at 0 unless you change them, but that doesn't mean that they're used - that only happens if you've checked the "use goalie start settings" box. If that box isn't checked, the starter selection for each game will be determined using the older AI system that the goalie selection settings replaced, which means heavy use of the starter and only occasional starts for the backup.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
ForTheGamer
Bat Boy

Ah, I see, gotcha. Just figured that that might be the problem that they weren't being changed. If they are changing from what you are seeing, then good stuff. It isn't like I can exactly look at each team all the time.

Thanks for that Jeff. Appreciate your response on this.
ForTheGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
George_Bell
All Star Starter

So I think this is the place to put my complaint.

In my historical replay, Terry Sawchuk, 39, 4 stars just led the Leafs to the best season in NHL history. Most wins, points. The Leafs were great. Sawchuk had the best single season any goalie has had in 30 years. GAA, SP, game score. He had a 935 sp and a GAA of 1.49. His record was 48-10.

Toronto was able to steal 38 year old 3.5 star goalie Jacques Plante from Boston, in a deadline deal that also brough over young Ken Hodge. Leafs gave up nothing. Good for them.

Plante plays 4 regular season games. Goes 1-2-1, 3.5 GAA, 889 sp.

Playoffs start. Plante somehow has 4 heat, starts. Sawchuk has 1 heat sits. He sits for the whole playoffs.

Plante is good, really good. A luxury of a backup incase something happens. Sawchuk has historically good though.

This has me so angry, that im probably out for FHM 5. It's like results don't matter. Level of play doesn't matter. Heat is the only thing that mattered. And if we are talking about heat, Sawchuk should have 100 heat based on his regular season!

These are AI moves by the way, i don't control a team.....

That's gotta be fixed.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Same thing happened the next season. Terry Sawchuk started all but 11 games in the regular season. He set a record for shutouts, wins, and GAA. His team set a wins and points record.

Playoffs come along, and Jacques Plante, who played 11 games during the year, becomes the starter and plays all 5 of their playoff games.

I think there is something really wrong with how the AI is valuing goaltending. It's like the results, the stats, the ratings, EVERYTHING is being ignored here.

If you guys don't look at this, I'm out for the next version. This isn't good enough.....
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #11
JeffR
FHM Producer

Can you upload the save? I'd like to see the exact sequence of Sawchuk vs. Plante leading up to the playoffs.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Can you upload the save? I'd like to see the exact sequence of Sawchuk vs. Plante leading up to the playoffs.
Im already into the next season. I can tell you both goalies were healthy, and the 1968 Heat level was 4 for Plante and 1 for Sawchuk. Plante was 1-2-1 with Toronto in 68. Both years Sawchuk was ridiculous. He had video game performances.

Looking deeper, i see Plante has a big games hidden attribute of 17, while Sawchuk is 15. Plante has had a better playoff career, with a .916 sp vs .906, but both have won multiple Cups as a starter, and a coach wouldn't have access to an arbitrary big games rating.

Plante has played 21 playoff games for Toronto over the last 2 years, while he's played in 15 regular season games. Sawchuk has played 130 regular season games, winning 101 times, and played in just two playoff games, for a total of 75 minutes.

Sawchuk is rated higher. Both are old, so there skills are staring to deteriorate, but here is the comparison screen. Sawchuk is on the left, and the team clearly feels he's the better goalie until the playoffs start. If you want the file despite me being into the next season, let me know, and ill upload it.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, please do, I still may be able to find something useful.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #14
Game On
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Working on some changes to make the AI less likely to use a backup if the starter is above a certain level of quality, even if the backup is much hotter.
My friend, I having the same issue with the new version. Got worse as the season progressed and in the playoffs my starter was now the backup and we lost. Bummer.
Starter much higher in ratings. I also demoted 2nd goalie to minors and it still started the backup!
Game On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #15
Game On
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herm1978 View Post
i guess your ai likes holtby as much as mine does! :d

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=283098
lol!
Game On is offline   Reply With Quote