Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Tactical advantage, high shot count, stats breakdown

I was under the impression that tactical advantage and momentum gives the owning side an advantage, but I'm finding it makes less of a difference than I anticipated—unless I'm misunderstanding it?

Name:  TA.png
Views: 464
Size:  157.2 KB

As you can see in this game against the Coyotes, who are 22nd in the league, we have a significant advantage in both offence and defence, and carried full momentum for pretty much the entire game, yet they still managed to get 18 shots off, 4 of which were goals. We, however, were only able to convert 6 of our 45 shots despite having a large offensive advantage over their defence (78 -> 42).

I appreciate you're likely to encounter the odd game where the stats don't align with the scoreline, but it's been like this 3 out of the last 5 games, and that's only since I've been taking note.

Next up, the stats breakdown—is it me, or do these figures not add up?

Name:  Stats.png
Views: 446
Size:  86.9 KB

The Coyotes had a total of 18 shots, 4 of which were goals. That leaves 14 shots that either missed or were blocked. However, according to the breakdown they had 16 shots blocked, and 10 that missed!?

Again, there's a good chance I'm misunderstanding something here so I apologise if that's the case, but on the surface things just don't add up.

Last edited by micpringle; 10-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

A couple more examples—1st and 2nd periods against LAK.

Name:  1st.png
Views: 423
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  2nd.png
Views: 432
Size:  149.8 KB

We managed to turn it around in the 3rd and win 2-1, but this is very much the norm at the moment. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Shot blocked would be how many the Yotes blocked, not how many of theirs got blocked.

Also, a blocked shot in the NHL does not count as a total shot on goal. So in your first screenshot you had a total of 74 attempts at the net (45+16+13).

Shots on goal are not always an indication of success, it's usually the quality of shots that counts.

On average, an NHL team will score one goal for each 11 shots it takes (in real life). While your team may have a lot of shots, if many are taken from the blue line or the perimeter, the % of them being a goal is lessened (or at least it should).
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Just to clarify a little further, you're confusing blocked shots with saves. Blocked shots are blocked by players other than the goalie, and, as eldur00 said, don't contribute to the shot total - only goals and saves do.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks both for the clarification. I guess some of the confusion stems from the fact that three shot-related stats are lumped together, despite one of them referring to one team, and the others referring to the other team.

My background is in football (soccer) where the shots blocked stat relates to the number of your shots blocked by the other team—I'm still getting used to the NHL way of doing things.

With regards the quality of shots, any advice on how to increase that? My 1st and 2nd lines are pretty decent—I play with the Penguins—and I use Stretching the D as my offensive tactic, so it's not as though I'm using something like Shoot the Puck where it's hit 'n hope. I've looked at the shot locations during games and they seem to be pretty reasonable—I'll post a screenshot from my next game as I can't view those stats for games I've already played.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

OK, so here's another example against the Rangers. And like I say, this is happening pretty much every game now.

End of the 1st

Shots

Shot Locations

End of the 2nd

Shots

Shot Locations

End of the 3rd

Shots

Shot Locations

Final Score

Shots

So we lost a game on penalties in which we owned shots 63 - 18 (at the end of the 3rd is was 54 - 11 and tied at 1 each ), had the tactical advantage both offensively and defensively, and carried the momentum for most of the game.

It's becoming frustrating now because it appears as though I'm doing everything right, but that that doesn't count for much.

I mean, this taken from the box just about sums it up!

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 12.49.49.png
Views: 384
Size:  235.3 KB

Last edited by micpringle; 10-08-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
BKL
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpringle View Post
OK, so here's another example against the Rangers. And like I say, this is happening pretty much every game now.

End of the 1st

Shots

Shot Locations

End of the 2nd

Shots

Shot Locations

End of the 3rd

Shots

Shot Locations

Final Score

Shots

So we lost a game on penalties in which we owned shots 63 - 18 (at the end of the 3rd is was 54 - 11 and tied at 1 each ), had the tactical advantage both offensively and defensively, and carried the momentum for most of the game.

It's becoming frustrating now because it appears as though I'm doing everything right, but that that doesn't count for much.

I mean, this taken from the box just about sums it up!

Attachment 524501

How’s your goalie? If a lot of shots are getting in, do you have a weak goalie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

I think I have pretty reasonable goalies TBF, but even though they have a SAVE PCT > .920, they still both concede an avg. of 2 goals a game...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 13.19.57.png
Views: 334
Size:  94.9 KB Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 13.20.08.png
Views: 340
Size:  102.5 KB

The game thinks their form is OK though...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 13.22.08.png
Views: 341
Size:  16.7 KB

And here's my full roster so you can see their ability, as well as that of the rest of the team...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 13.22.52.png
Views: 339
Size:  404.9 KB
Old 10-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

A goals-against average of 2.00 is actually excellent by most standards (aside from extremely low-scoring leagues.) The game against the Rangers just looks like (very) bad luck. If you play forward a bit things should even out and you'll get some games where you score a lot on low shot totals.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote