Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Is FHM3 worth the buy??

I have gotten back into hockey after being absent from it for years and I have been trying to find a way to dive head long back into it. I live in a remote area of Missouri and don't get much radio and my internet is so-so. I try to listen to NHL games via internet but they cut out a lot!
I rented some last gen hockey video games, but they are too "arcade-ish." So...I have been eyeballing FHM3 and wondered about taking that route. BUT...my wife and I are on a tiiiight budget and if I get it, this would probably be my Christmas and birthday present combined. Should I pull the trigger and get FHM3? Is there enough bugs worked out to get it? is it pretty true to life? No offense intended to the devs, but this is all or nothing for me financial-wise.

A little guidance here would help!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
SerbianEagle
Minors (Single A)

In a word, yes...

Its a huge improvement over the previous versions and has that "just one more game" factor...
SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Duranium
All Star Starter

If you´re a hockey nut it´s definetly worth the $$$.

Still some growing pains but already a very deep and realistic sim.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

If there's a sale grab it. Full price I dont think it lives up yet.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I have gotten back into hockey after being absent from it for years and I have been trying to find a way to dive head long back into it. I live in a remote area of Missouri and don't get much radio and my internet is so-so. I try to listen to NHL games via internet but they cut out a lot!
I rented some last gen hockey video games, but they are too "arcade-ish." So...I have been eyeballing FHM3 and wondered about taking that route. BUT...my wife and I are on a tiiiight budget and if I get it, this would probably be my Christmas and birthday present combined. Should I pull the trigger and get FHM3? Is there enough bugs worked out to get it? is it pretty true to life? No offense intended to the devs, but this is all or nothing for me financial-wise.

A little guidance here would help!
Well, it was released October 31, 2016 and missed out on the Black Friday sale due to it not being out for a month at the time (November 27, 2016) [SOURCE].

So it will *probably* get its first sale as we get closer to Christmas. If you're short on money, I would wait until it goes on sale even if the game was perfect.

It's not perfect, but I haven't come across any game-breaking bugs in my playthrough and the devs have done a pretty solid job with timely updates/bug fixes. But if you have time, skim through the Technical Support forum and see if there might be any bugs that might be a game breaker for you - I know everybody is different when it comes to bugs and glitches and I admit my standards for "game-breaking" bugs is probably much more extreme than most - I don't consider minor bugs and annoyances to be game breaking. For me, if the game starts and is actually playable - even if not enjoyable - I consider it free of game-breaking bugs lol. Wow I'm rambling...

Anyway, the game is definitely worth the money. You will get hundreds of hours out of this game, and it is still a fresh release so there will hopefully be a few substantial updates still to come. If you like hockey or indepth sim games like Football Manager or OOTP (though be warned it's not as indepth as those games) you'll enjoy FHM 3.

One thing I might suggest.... is buying the game on Steam now, playing it for say thirty minutes, and then request a refund. Steam will give you a full refund for games you purchase (within 2 weeks of purchase) that haven't been played for more than 2 hours, so you can get a feel of the game and then make the ultimate choice yourself on whether you want to purchase at a later date (or just keep it then). That's what I do to test games out, since there isn't always a demo available. Just make sure you don't go over 2 hours of play time. Just note that if you buy it off of Steam you won't get access to the DRM version, and if you buy directly from OOTP's website you won't have access to it on Steam (no Steam key, no Steam Workshop support, and no automatic updates).

But it really is a good game. I have over 100 on this game (I bought the non-Steam version so no exact numbers). I have 6 hours on EHM on Steam, and 356 hours on FHM 2 on Steam so I would easily recommend FHM 3
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
jaguar8311
Minors (Triple A)

IMO I've bought every version to support the development of the game, and I still don't think it's ready.

I think it'll really be playable once the next 2 patches come out (the one before christmas + the new year).

My two biggest gripes are still the AI (development/evaluation) and the interface (too clunky). Both things Jeff said that they would fix in the next two patches.
jaguar8311 is offline   Reply With Quote