Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

FHM3 Beginners advice

I have been perusing FHM3 and I am intrigued. I was a huge hockey fan (I started on the Kansas City Blades and their brand new NHL affiliate, the SJ Sharks), but kind of fell off thru the years. I know the basics of hockey such as the line changes, basic stats, the "sin bin", the penalties, the teams...kind of the upfront stuff. So if I got FHM3, how do I get my toes wet? How should I maneuver thru it to get into the teeth of the game and the NHL? Can the community here advise me on how to start and learn? I thought about watching an entire season play out and learning as the season progressed.
Thanks!

Last edited by ForeverRoyalKC; 11-14-2016 at 09:55 PM.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Leafs67
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I have been perusing FHM3 and I am intrigued. I was a huge hockey fan (I started on the Kansas City Blades and their brand new NHL affiliate, the SJ Sharks), but kind of fell off thru the years. I know the basics of hockey such as the line changes, basic stats, the "sin bin", the penalties, the teams...kind of the upfront stuff. So if I got FHM3, how do I get my toes wet? How should I maneuver thru it to get into the teeth of the game and the NHL? Can the community here advise me on how to start and learn? I thought about watching an entire season play out and learning as the season progressed.
Thanks!
The way I started was using historical mode, mostly because that's the mode I like best, but I think it did help me become more adept at the game. It's an easier, smaller to maneuver database that makes the game a little less overwhelming. Having players who have more predictable growth, whether you use the real life attribute modifier or the FHM growth/decline system, is a bonus. There is a smaller chance of busts when you can look back and see which players will become good. It can also be easier to jump in right away with a true powerhouse dynasty, like the 70s Canadiens, 80s Oilers, or 50s Canadiens so that you will have success even if you kind of suck at first.

If your goal is learn more about the current, modern NHL, then I'd advise just jumping into Sandbox, taking over a team, and giving it your best shot. Maybe turn off Fog of War so that you don't need to depend on your scouts, so you can really get to know the players and their abilities. But I think immersing your self into the game is the best and quickest way to learn it. You'll only get better at it if you make mistakes and learn from them. Go on Sandbox, and play around. Try different tactics, different trades, etc. and you'll become an expert in no time. Hope that helps.
Leafs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Thanks Leafs67! I used to go to Blades games left, right and sideways and followed the Sharks closely during their....Yeesh....early years. I got to know the NHL and followed it by watching the NHL on ESPN. I even taped games when I couldnt watch them live. Between the Blades IHL and the NHL, I was pretty immersed, but nowhere near an expert. But it's been y-e-a-r-s since I watched (many reasons why) and I am kinda having to learn the "reimmersing" I knew. I have tried NHL video games, but they left me wanting. So, I saw FHM3 and figured this was the way. It looks pretty involving like OOTP Baseball, but I may be able to find my way again.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

I'd second the Sandbox recommendation. There is not much of a difference between the two modes, and Sandbox lacks some of the annoyances that PtG pigeonholes you into and actually allows you to have more of day to day influence on your team. While there is more that you CAN do in Sandbox mode, you dont have to do it so you can spread your wings as wide as you like.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Agree with the previous posts. Just immerse yourself in sandbox mode. You can sit back and watch them play the season and delegate everything to your assistants, or you can do everything yourself.

I would also suggest looking at various websites, like NHL.com, hockeydb.com, eliteprospects, hockey-reference.com, puckalytics, and others.

The best thing to do is learn how your players attributes work, which ones are the most important based upon the players position, and experiment with different tactics.

Most importantly, have fun!
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #6
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Thanks, all of you! I have been jamming on NHL.com and I started listening to random games tonight on radio internet feeds. Nothing like hearing hockey on the radio! Some people get lost listening on the radio, but if you know the names and have a good grasp of the game, it's pretty easy. And it allows you to enjoy the sounds and calls of the game.