Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
EKB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

3-Way Tiebraker - the Procedure

Hi guys. I have an interesting situation in my fictional nation league that's called Calamia Baseball League. The history is rather small, as it is going for the third season.
I was already thinking to simulate last two months of the regular season in order to find our winner. However, I got this interesting situation right here.

Three teams are tied in the Eastern Division of the Green League. The OOTP schedule decides to hold one tie-breaker game. It is going to be between Unigate Wings and Exore Saints, if I do not interfere. I would like to underline that Sowell Atoms, being second in the list, are not involved in tie-breaking.

As far as I'm concerned, the winning team will clinch the Division, while the losing team will lose its Playoff spot. And then the team that is not playing will advance to the Wild Card. Am I right?
I really would love to know the answer, as all three teams deserve to continue, and decision is completely on the commissioner, really. In addition to this, I got an intention to end the season today

Thanks in advance.
EKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

It's a three-way tiebreaker for two spots.

These are my PERSONAL tiebreakers, not the MLB tiebreakers.

If there is no competitive advantage (other than home field) to being the division winner vs. being the wild card:

(Best team in head-to-head is Team 1, followed by Team 2, followed by Team 3. You can use whatever method you want to to determine which team is "best".)

Day 1: Team 2 @ Team 1, winner advances to playoffs
Day 2: Loser @ Team 3, winner advances to playoffs
Seeding: If Team 3 wins on Day 2, coin flip for division winner. If Team 3 loses on Day 2, Day 1 winner is the division winner.

If there is a competitive advantage to being the division winner:

Day 1: Team 3 @ Team 2, winner advances to Day 2
Day 2: Winner @ Team 1, winner wins division
Day 3: If Team 1 wins on Day 2, the Day 1 winner is the wild card. If Team 1 loses on Day 2, they play the Day 1 loser for the wild card (Team 1 @ Team 3 or Team 2 @ Team 1)

In actual MLB, there is no "If Team 1 wins on Day 2" provision.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

What MLB would do to break the tie is dependent on whether it's a three-way tie for one or two playoff spots, and in the case of the latter, whether the losing teams would be eliminated from post-season consideration (i.e. whether there is one or more than one wild card qualifier).

If you are still interested in the details I can post them up later.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote