Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Expansion Passes in the NARBL

NARBL

New Orleans (AP) -As the season winds down, the two most vocal people on the outside looking in are leading the charge for baseball in their perspective necks of the woods, or in the case of Phoenix, in the desert. Both Jackson Sloss and Andrew Flitcroft both released statements this week, in a joined effort to solicit the CBL to look into possible expansion into their markets. Let's take a look at the two prospective markets, and owners, and their plans for baseball in their city.

Why Birmingham?

Birmingham is the industrial heart of the South. Shortly after the Civil War, James Sloss convinced the Louisville and Nashville railroad to finish a rail line between Birmingham and Decatur knowing that the Birmingham area held all the needed ingredients to make pig iron. The company was first founded as "City Furnaces" but was renamed "Sloss Steel" after James Sloss' death. Sloss Steel continued to be the lifeblood of the city and surrounding metro area, quickly outpacing Pittsburgh, to become the world leader in steel production.

Today the Birmingham area is home to over 2.6 million residents. Steel, rail transportation and automobile manufacturing are the major industries in the Birmingham area. Currently Birmingham is home to the Barons, a Double-A affiliate of the Carolina Palmettos.

"Birmingham is a prime market for professional baseball. We have the market, the money, the support structure, the parking, hotels, and the stadium already built. We just need the owners to give us the go-ahead and we will bring baseball to this fine city." said prospective owner Jackson Sloss.

The Owner

Jackson Sloss (Age 44) is the 5th generation of the Sloss family to run the steel business. Cited as the brightest Sloss since James founded the company, Jackson is looking to expand the family empire into professional sports. Being the youngest billionaire in the Confederacy, Jackson certainly has the money and the time.

"Putting baseball in this town is priority number one for me. I have a great network of people working on the steel business. Baseball has always been my passion. It's a shame we don't have a team yet. I will not rest until it happens."

Sloss has been described as lenient. "I dont get too uptight, my philosophy is to hire good people and let them do their work. I am not going to be a guy to micro manage everyone. I'll be able to get good baseball people in here to run this thing right. We just need to grease the wheels a little to get the CBL to get us a team, and we will be off and rolling." With his financial empire is very sound condition, he has already stated he will do everything he can to make sure baseball is prosperous and the people of Birmingham have a winning team to cheer for.

The Stadium

Built in 2010 Sloss Field is built to seat 46,000 people. Currently home to the AA-Birmingham Barons, the stadium doubles as a baseball stadium and concert venue. "We have to do what we can to make sure we don't lose money on the stadium. We will put a major league team in that stadium eventually. For now it has to suffice to be the best minor league baseball stadium in the world. I know it won't be long before we get what we want" Sloss contended. Paid for completely by the Sloss family, this multi-use venue is ready for Confederate League Baseball today.

Why Phoenix?

Phoenix rose out of the desert and really started to bloom in the 1950's. The leading industries in Phoenix, are the computer industry, manufacturing of mining equipment, mining and tourism. This multi-faceted city can certainly support a team. With a metro population of over 4.2 million people the "Valley of the Sun" has the population, and money to support the Confederate Baseball League.

The Owner

The charismatic Andrew Flitcroft (Age 64) is the CEO of Freeport-McMoRan, one of the world's largest mining company's. He is also the President of Flitcroft Homebuilding, which has been the leading homebuilder in the Phoenix area for the last 15 years. "I am not going to waste any time. I'm not getting any younger. Once we get a team, we are going to move immediately to win. I want to win multiple titles before the good Lord comes a callin'. I've never failed in anything I've ever done. Baseball isn't going to be my first. I demand we win and do it right away. I will spare no expense to make it happen."

The Stadium

Flitcroft Park is currently home to the AAA-Arizona Scorpions. Like Birmingham, the city has the stadium, they just don't have the team to put into it yet. Financed completely by Flitcroft Homebuilding, this 41,500 seat stadium has a retractable roof, and plays at a cool 74 degrees during home games in the middle of the summer. The blistering heat of Arizona is no problem here.

Last edited by JDevil; 01-27-2013 at 08:40 PM.
JDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Atlanta (AP) - It was announced earlier today, that the Confederate Baseball League owners have approved of a resolution to expand the league to 12 teams beginning with the 2017 season. Although details of the vote will remain private, an anonymous source with knowledge of the negotiations stated that "It's wasn't unanimous, but there was overwhelming support for expansion. Now they are looking over realignment and playoff options. Once that's all done I am sure we will have another announcement."

The reaction in Birmingham, across Alabama and among the Sloss family was jubilant to say the least. We were in the room with Jackson when the decision was made and he received a phone call from the league office. Although he might not want the video to show up on YouTube, he began running around the room high-fiving everyone withing arms reach. "That's about as excited as I've been in a long time. I just can't believe the news. I think it's time to celebrate. We are gonna go down to the steakhouse, reserve the whole damn place out, call up some friends, back up the beer truck and have a good ole time," Jackson shouted.

It's also been released that the new Birmingham franchise will be named the Vulcans, in honor of the cities steel making prowess. Their colors will be black and gold. Designers have already been employed making team apparel that will be available on the team's website within days.

In Arizona the excitement was the same but the planned party was a little different. After owner Andrew Flitcroft got the same phone call that was made to Birmingham, the charismatic mining baron downed a shot of home-made whiskey with his wife and two sons. "Hot damn, it's gonna be a hot one here tonight!, exclaimed the wild Flitcroft. "We are giving everyone the whole week off paid, I got the band ready, the convention center is already booked, and this old man is gonna get a little rowdy, that's all I can say."

The Phoenix franchise will be named the Firebirds, honoring the traditional naming of the city itself. The colors will be purple and orange. The franchise's Turn Up The Heat campaign has been a wild success, and season ticket sales that have been on order for over a year will begin to be filled within the week.

Needless to say it's been a very happy day for all involved in the Confederate Baseball League. A new TV deal is expected, which should enrich the coffers of all CBL teams, certainly a welcome boon to a few teams that have struggled at the gate in the last few seasons. Although they may not be excellent teams right off the bat, expect huge crowds and an excited fan base to welcome in the two newest teams to the CBL.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Jax Powers
Minors (Double A)

Hello Sir,
Back when Narbl took off, I was part of the draft. But due to me having difficult circumstances, I had to leave.

I am now stable and with time available, I would be interested in rejoining if you would have me back.

thank you that is all.
Jack
Jax Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
JDevil
All Star Reserve

send me an e-mail at colecleburne@gmail.com