Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Exorcst
Minors (Triple A)

Random Debut

So close to the function I want. I wish it had a function to ensure that all players debut 18-22 age. Nothing frustrates me more then going into the first years draft and seeing some of my favorite players at the end of their career.
I tried going through and editing all of their birthdays making them that age, but that didn't account for ML experience, so if it was adjusted from 37 to age 20. When they got drafted they get signed for 28 million. instead of base salaries.

I would be interested to see if that one guys quickstart works, where it sprinkles in historical players slower.

I understand that after the first draft, the players come in at younger age. Since I can't force the initial draft to be all young players, I wish I could draft fictional players in the first year, then have the historical players come in after that.
Exorcst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
James
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcst View Post
I understand that after the first draft, the players come in at younger age. Since I can't force the initial draft to be all young players, I wish I could draft fictional players in the first year, then have the historical players come in after that.
I think you could. No promises, but what if you created a historical league, deleted all of the players, filled teams with fictional and then release all of the players and schedule a draft? I am guessing, but I think that might work.

James
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

That has bothered me as well that every time I start it seems that there are a handful of players that appear in the inaugural draft on the downside of their career.

I was thinking that one potential solution could be to delete the players from the draft pool before the draft, and manually import a younger version of the player into the draft pool. I haven't tried this yet, and maybe players can only be imported into the amateur draft, but that might be a potential workaround.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
PDHitman
Major Leagues

Databases | OOTPMODS.COM

I prefer the no asians high school database. You can use it w/ 13 and it will roll out assorted players from throughout history.

I run an online league using it if you're interested-
wildthings2.com

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-5-owners.html

Paul
PDHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
CarolinaSoxfan
Minors (Triple A)

I hate that as well so I started an MLB League with Fictional players but will have random debut import for each draft. I am assuming that the players then come into the draft at the beginning of their career.
CarolinaSoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
henry296
All Star Reserve

The big issue is that the initial player set in a random debut league has players with normally distributed ages, much like a new fictional or historical career. All players after the first year of course come in as rookies.

In my opinion, if you start with everyone at age 18-22 the first season there will be few players in their prime and it could skew the statistics for those initial players.
henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Skewerization of stats does not occur in this scenario

but what does

is that there are no players retiring so no roster holes exist for the new players to take charge of. One winds up with many players who don't get to have a major league career. Roughly the same number of players as the downsiders.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Help setting up the Random Debut please

I've been playing OOTP for years and having just finished by career sim in v.12, I opened 13 looking forward to the random debut feature. I want to start with MLB teams with appropriate minors, locked 2011 financials and free agency. I've set-up enough legues that I think I have everything flagged correctly ... except I'm getting three things WAY wrong: 1) Fictional players in the inaugral draft. I know people may not like having stars enter in the first year of the game being 38 years but I'm so deperate to get that setting right, I'd kill to get that. I want to stop getting fictional inaugral drafts. Later years are importing correctly. ... except ... 2) While the amatuer draft have random players from all eras the facegen pictures are way off. How do I get the real faces to the player? I simply can't suspend my belief and accept that Willie Mays was a blond surfer looking dude with a goatee. It loses that real-life immersion feel. Lastly, 3) The ballparks are all generic. I started as the Red Sox and they are in a 54,000 artificial terf dome called "Red Sox ballpark" How to I ensure the real parks from 2011 are there? Help!
LansdowneSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdowneSt View Post
I've been playing OOTP for years and having just finished by career sim in v.12, I opened 13 looking forward to the random debut feature. I want to start with MLB teams with appropriate minors, locked 2011 financials and free agency. I've set-up enough legues that I think I have everything flagged correctly ... except I'm getting three things WAY wrong: 1) Fictional players in the inaugral draft. I know people may not like having stars enter in the first year of the game being 38 years but I'm so deperate to get that setting right, I'd kill to get that. I want to stop getting fictional inaugral drafts. Later years are importing correctly. ... except ... 2) While the amatuer draft have random players from all eras the facegen pictures are way off. How do I get the real faces to the player? I simply can't suspend my belief and accept that Willie Mays was a blond surfer looking dude with a goatee. It loses that real-life immersion feel. Lastly, 3) The ballparks are all generic. I started as the Red Sox and they are in a 54,000 artificial terf dome called "Red Sox ballpark" How to I ensure the real parks from 2011 are there? Help!
1. ballparks. Start your random debut as a historical league and the parks will all be correct.
2. make sure willie mays is named correctly in facegen. make sure your facegen options are setup correctly. I drafted a 28 yr old Mays onto my team the 2000 Seattle Mariners and everything is 100% accurate. I have the facegen pack with over 18,000 FG's there is only 1 Willie_Mays.fg

How big is your inaugural draft? mine was 35 rounds with all teams as of 2000 I had no fictional players and thru 7 seasons have not noticed any fictional players. Also once again which setup did you use? a historical league or a fictional league?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Exorcst
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Skewerization of stats does not occur in this scenario

but what does

is that there are no players retiring so no roster holes exist for the new players to take charge of. One winds up with many players who don't get to have a major league career. Roughly the same number of players as the downsiders.
Ah, i didnt think of that being a problem. Great catch.
So then the thing I need to do to to play my ideal game, is fictional players the first draft, then import historical players randomly after that.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Exorcst
Minors (Triple A)

I replaced the stats folder with the one in from the website mentioned above. With that do I need to start in the early days of baseball? When I try to start my league in 2011, I get a message that says it can't load database.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Solved my fg problem

Thanks The Game. I solved problem 2 - indeed I had not moved the 20,000 fg files from my OOTP 12 game into the 13 folder. At least I have the real faces back for the players. I'll redo my set-up one more time and if I still get fiction inagural draft and generic ballparks, I'll report my full set-up. I'm sure it's something obvious that I third pair of eyes will spot quickly. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
LansdowneSt
Hall Of Famer

Solved my problem - thanks again!

I finally got the inaugral draft with real players AND fixed the ballpark issue. I had been selecting Historical Game but had been going to Advanced Mode in step 2 of the wizard. This time I wainted until Step 6 (of 6) of the wizard before going into advanced mode - and this time it's treating me as a historic game vice a fictional game. Thanks to all for the help!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcst View Post
I replaced the stats folder with the one in from the website mentioned above. With that do I need to start in the early days of baseball? When I try to start my league in 2011, I get a message that says it can't load database.
You need to reload the new DB/stats folder in game. Go to the location of the new stats folder and copy the hyperlink or whatever it's called. I use ctrl-c vs the mouse. Next go into the game for your league League Menu - Advanced - League Setup - Options - Database Path and crtl-v what you copied. should be good to go.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
That has bothered me as well that every time I start it seems that there are a handful of players that appear in the inaugural draft on the downside of their career.

I was thinking that one potential solution could be to delete the players from the draft pool before the draft, and manually import a younger version of the player into the draft pool. I haven't tried this yet, and maybe players can only be imported into the amateur draft, but that might be a potential workaround.
How would one "manually import" a player? I guess I always figured that once a guy was deleted, he was gone, and I never knew of a way to import a player unless I had DB skills.

I'm at the outset of a new random league, and I have the likes of Willie Mays and Tris Speaker in their late 30's. I have many, many guys between the ages of 37 and 42. I even have one guy in the draft who's 53(!).
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMatt View Post
How would one "manually import" a player? I guess I always figured that once a guy was deleted, he was gone, and I never knew of a way to import a player unless I had DB skills.

I'm at the outset of a new random league, and I have the likes of Willie Mays and Tris Speaker in their late 30's. I have many, many guys between the ages of 37 and 42. I even have one guy in the draft who's 53(!).
Go to the free agent screen and there is an Import Historical Player button then select the historical_database.odb and you can enter the historical ID for the player and what season you want to import. You can look in the master.csv for the historical ID, but it's the first five characters of their last name, first two of first name, and usually 01 if they are the only player with the same name, or in the case of someone like Griffey Sr and Jr, Jr would be 02. So Willie Mays would be mayswi01
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
Go to the free agent screen and there is an Import Historical Player button then select the historical_database.odb and you can enter the historical ID for the player and what season you want to import. You can look in the master.csv for the historical ID, but it's the first five characters of their last name, first two of first name, and usually 01 if they are the only player with the same name, or in the case of someone like Griffey Sr and Jr, Jr would be 02. So Willie Mays would be mayswi01
Awesome! This must be another v13 upgrade. I don't remember this being available before. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I did this as a test. Gaylord Perry is in the initial draft as 39 years old. I deleted Perry. I went to the Free Agents screen and clicked IMPORT HISTORICAL PLAYER. I pasted Perry's Historical ID in the blank space and clicked enter player into draft pool.

The good news: Perry was regenerated as a 23 year old.

The bad news: He enters as a very weak hitting 1B with a defensive rating of 1.

What did I do wrong?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Awesome! This must be another v13 upgrade. I don't remember this being available before. Thanks for the info.
Been available at least since 11, I had 6.5 & 8 but rarely played them.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay, I did this as a test. Gaylord Perry is in the initial draft as 39 years old. I deleted Perry. I went to the Free Agents screen and clicked IMPORT HISTORICAL PLAYER. I pasted Perry's Historical ID in the blank space and clicked enter player into draft pool.

The good news: Perry was regenerated as a 23 year old.

The bad news: He enters as a very weak hitting 1B with a defensive rating of 1.

What did I do wrong?
What DB are you using? stock 13 DB? or someone like spritz's DB?
If it is stock, Perry would be perrga01 Import year 1962. Don't paste, type. (at least using your mouse) Also on some players you will have to run a rescout on them. Perry never played 1B in his career so I have no clue why he entered as a 1B