Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #41
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/20/1904 - World Series Game 7

After all the ups and downs of a seven game series, Josh Beckett and The Only Nolan faced off for the third and final time in the series. (As a Yankee fan who remembers all too well facing Beckett in the World Series this is the last thing I want to see is Beckett against us in a deciding game)

We scored 2 runs in the bottom of the first to take the early lead in a truly ugly inning that featured two errors and a wild pitch, but our lead was cut in half by a Pat Sheridan solo home run in the top of the 2nd.

The top of the 5th up steps Willie Randolph with our team clinging to a slim lead. (Another side note - growing up Willie Randolph was one of my favorite players, and of course he is absolutely killing us this series).

Randolph hits a leadoff triple and scores on a sacrifice fly to tie the game up at 2.

We stranded two runners in the bottom of the seventh, and the bottom off the eighth and headed into the ninth inning with a tie score.

Top of the ninth, up steps Willie Randolph again, who promptly singles, and is sacrificed over to second base. I decide to intentionally walk the next batter to set up the double play. I should note that I pinch hit for Yerkes in the top of the ninth, and we now have my defensive wiz at shortstop, George Stickland.

Routine groundball to short, should be an easy double play ball to send us to the bottom of the ninth with a chance for a walk-off win. What happens next is one of the main reasons why I both love and hate this game. Although at the moment it is mostly hate. Strickland boots the ball - E6, bases loaded.

Wait, what? Despite wanting to throw my laptop threw a window, the next play results in a play at the plate to record the second out. Two outs, and we can do this.

But Pat Sheridan has other plans. Pat Sheridan who hit .221 this year. Sheridan drives in two with a single, and Clyde Engle drives in another to give the Pirates a three run lead. That sinking feeling starts to grow.

I don't know what is more frustrating -

1) Giving up three unearned runs in the top of the 9th in a tie game7 of the World Series
2) Having the first two runners reach base in the bottom of the 9th, but fail to score
3) Blowing a2-0 series lead.

I don't even know what to say, other than this one stings - a lot. Losing sucks, but losing in the World Series really sucks. Now it's time to pick up the pieces, cancel my reservations to Boston where I would have the choice between the Americans or Beaneaters who each finished with a 66-88 record and start getting ready for 1905...
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #42
captaincarl
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
I don't know what is more frustrating -

1) Giving up three unearned runs in the top of the 9th in a tie game7 of the World Series
2) Having the first two runners reach base in the bottom of the 9th, but fail to score
3) Blowing a2-0 series lead.
Out of those three, I would choose a fourth one, all of the above.

Welcome back and good luck with this and with the added twist of random debuts. Who knows, I may even join you but have the players enter according to history.
captaincarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincarl View Post
Out of those three, I would choose a fourth one, all of the above.

Welcome back and good luck with this and with the added twist of random debuts. Who knows, I may even join you but have the players enter according to history.
I think that the fourth choice may be the best one.

Thanks! The random debut definitely adds some challenges, not knowing when players are going to input, but I think if I was starting over I'd use the Gambo-Spritze database and have players debut earlier and less seasoned.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #44
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/22/1904 - Post Series thoughts

After the World Series I went on a bender, apparently signing Al Milnar to about 200 extensions that I don't remember doing.

Next up I'll do the wrap up for the season, and fill my now vacant pitching coach and trainer vacancies. But I need a couple more days to regroup and lick my wounds before moving on to 1905. I'm pretty sure the last time I lost a 4-3 World Series was against the Pirates, and those are always the most painful for me.

I should be happy with my progress this season, but I'll leave that for another day.

My GM that I'm using in the game was recycled from this thread, which was randomly generated:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...lson-gore.html

It still doesn't look like you can manage at the big league level without the GM duties that go along with it, which was the ultimate demise to that dynasty. Seems like a simple concept to implement though.

But anyway, on to the search for a pitching coach so I can try and sign a good one before I forget….
Attached Images
Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #45
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

11/1/1904 -Season Recap and Draft Results

After taking a step back, the Browns were able to improve by 20 wins, play in an exciting World Series, and I believe are well positioned to repeat our success in 1905. I feel pretty good about the accomplishments for the first three years. We also led the league in runs scored, and were second in both runs allowed and defensive efficiency.

We brought on former Brooklyn Superbas bench coach Joe Dean to serve as our pitching coach. Carlos Dominguez was brought aboard as our new trainer. Dominguez served as the trainer of the Boston Beaneaters from 1901-1903.

In the draft we selected SP Carl Mays with our top pick, and first baseman Tony Clark with our second pick. Reliever JC Romero was our third pick, followed by relievers Dave Heaverlo and Ernie Manning.

St Louis Browns - 54-86 (.386) 28 GB
1902 - St. Louis Browns 69-71 (.493) 20 GB (Season Score - 35)
1903 - St. Louis Browns 69-71 (.493) 11 GB (Season Score - 36)
1904 - St. Louis Browns 89-65 (.578) - GB, Lost World Series 4-3 to Pittsburgh Pirates (Season Score - 94)
Attached Images
Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #46
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

5/1/1905 - The World Series hangover continues

I honestly felt pretty good about my team heading into the season. Yes, we lost the World Series, but we got there and don't have too many holes, I think. So it is early in the season, but a 7-8 start was not how I planned things.
Attached Images
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #47
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

6/1/1905 - Back over.500

We finished with a 16-11 record in May, which got us back over .500 for the year, but we still trail the Highlanders by 3 1/2 games. This season certainly hasn't gone how we planned so far, but our pitching and defense are showing signs of turning it around. Now if our offense can get going I think we'll be in good shape.
Attached Images
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #48
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

7/1/1905 - Back in first

We played real well in June, going 17-9 to move into first place the first time this season, but can't shake the Highlanders who are a half game behind.

It feels like we are starting to roll now, so I hope we can put some distance between us and the Highlanders.
Attached Images
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #49
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

8/1/1905 - Falling out of first place

Not only did we fall behind the Highlanders this month, the White Sox are now just 3 1/2 games back. Over in the National League the Pirates are rolling along, but my revenge may have to wait as we need to win the AL pennant first.

With the trade deadline at the end of July, I took a chance to explore some trade options. Raul Ibanez has driven me nuts this year. His bat isn't making enough of a difference to make up for his defensive inefficiencies. He's posting another negative WAR this year, so I went looking at rebuilding teams for a defensive minded right fielder.

The price was real high across the board, and I couldn't afford to open another hole to fill a weakness. I settled on one deadline deal, shipping 1B Tony Clark and SP Carl Mays to the Washington Senators for RF Nick Swisher. While Swisher is hitting .205 this season I'm hoping a change of address will do him good, and he is rated well defensively. Swisher hit .316 in a part time role in 1903, but playing full-time only hit .216 last season. I don't know if this filled a big hole, but maybe this was more buy low.
Attached Images
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #50
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

9/1/1905 - The bad and the good

A 12-14 month has the Browns heading in the wrong direction. The only good thing I can possibly say is that the Highlanders didn't have a great month either, and we only fell a half game in the standings. There really isn't much else to say except hope that things get better down the stretch.
Attached Images
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #51
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
He's posting another negative WAR this year, so I went looking at rebuilding teams for a defensive minded right fielder.
Good story to follow, quick question, how do you identify which teams are rebuilding or not?

I haven't spotted this yet, although I'm yet to spend lots of time trading in 13.
mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #52
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
Good story to follow, quick question, how do you identify which teams are rebuilding or not?

I haven't spotted this yet, although I'm yet to spend lots of time trading in 13.
Thanks. If you go to the Trade Player option, when you select the team in the drop down menu in parenthesis it will show the status of the team (Rebuilding, Win now!).
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #53
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/1/1905 - 2 games back - 6 games left

This year wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I may to take a good hard look this offseason and shake things up this offseason. But for now I'm hoping for a miracle over these last six games.

The schedule looks like this:
Browns -
3 games on the road against Philadelphia
3 games at home against the White Sox

Highlanders -
3 games at home against Detroit
3 games on the road vs. Boston
Attached Images
Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #54
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/8/1905 - Hanging by a thread

A recap of where we currently stand heading into today's game -
The Browns went on the road to Philadelphia and won 6-3, 6-3, and 4-1, while the Highlanders won at home against the Tigers 4-1, before losing to the Tigers 3-0 and 8-2. That put us in a tie heading into the final series of the season.

The Highlanders dropped their opener 7-4 to Boston, while we beat the White Sox 4-1. With a one game lead we lost to the White Sox 4-2, and the Highlanders won 4-3.

So heading in to the final game we are all tied up. With an afternoon game Boston scored two in the bottom of the first when Sean Berry hit a two out single. Jason Vargas held on to give Boston the 2-1 victory, and guarantee at least a tie.

We got out to an early lead in the bottom of the first on a Jack Dittmer single to put us up 1-0. The Only Nolan allowed one run in the second, and two more in the third to put us in a 3-1 hole. But our offense wasn't dead, scoring 2 in the 5th, 2 in the 6th, and another in the 8th to go into the 9th with a 6-3 lead.

TOP OF THE 9TH
Chicago White Sox batting - Pitching for St. Louis Browns : RHP*The Only Nolan
Batting: SHB*Sammy Strang
0-0: Foul Ball, location: 2F
0-1: Ball
1-1: Called Strike
1-2: Fly out, F8 (Flyball, 8LD)

Batting: LHB*Rasty WS Wright
0-0: Ball
1-0: Ball
2-0: Ground out 6-3 (Groundball, 6M)

Batting: LHB*Fred Beck
0-0: Swinging Strike
0-1: Ball
1-1:*SINGLE*(Groundball, 4M)

Batting: LHB*Leon Wagner
1-0: Foul Ball, location: 2F
1-1: Ball
2-1: Ball
3-1: Called Strike
3-2: Foul Ball, location: 2F
3-2: Foul Ball, location: 2F
3-2: Base on Balls
Fred Beck*to second

Batting: LHB*Vada Pinson
0-0: Called Strike
0-1: Hit by Pitch
Fred Beck*to third
Leon Wagner*to second

Batting: LHB*Jocko Halligan
0-0:*DOUBLE*(Line Drive, 89S)
Fred Beck*scores
Leon Wagner*scores
Vada Pinson*to third
Runner from 3rd tries for Home, SAFE, no throw or cutoff

Batting: LHB*Eddie Grant
0-0: Called Strike
0-1: Swinging Strike
0-2: Ball
1-2: Ball
2-2: Strikes out swinging

Top of the 9th over - 3 run(s), 2 hit(s), 0 error(s), 1 left on base; Chicago 6 - St. Louis 6

Wonderful. The bottom of the 9th started off with a groundout, then Carlos Beltran singled and reached second on an error. Jack Dittmer walked, to put runners on first and second with one out. Greg Brock flew out for the second out, which brought up none other than Yogi Berra.

Batting: LHB*Yogi Berra
1-0:*SINGLE*(Groundball, 34D)
Carlos Beltran*to third
Jack Dittmer*to second
Runner from 3rd tries for Home, SAFE, throw made at trailing runner, OUT at third!
Bottom of the 9th over - 1 run(s), 2 hit(s), 1 error(s), 1 left on base; Chicago 6 - St. Louis 7

A good comeback in October has us returning to the World Series to take on the winner of the Pittsburgh Pirates - Boston Beaneaters game. If you remember the Beaneaters were the worst team in baseball last year, but completed their own version of Worst to First, but that was only made possible by the Pirates 9-13 September.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #55
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks. If you go to the Trade Player option, when you select the team in the drop down menu in parenthesis it will show the status of the team (Rebuilding, Win now!).
Thanks, and good luck in the World Series, second time lucky!
mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #56
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

I guess it's time to post the results of the NL one-game playoff.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #57
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/11/1905 - World Series Game 1

The first order of business, a one game playoff between the Pirates and Beaneaters. Do I get my chance at revenge on the Pirates, or face off against a new opponent?

The Beaneaters jumped out to an early lead in the first by scoring one run in the bottom half of the first. That would be just about their only highlight, as the Pirates rolled to a 5-2 victory. Steve Swetonic picked up the win to improve his record to 24-11 allowing just 5 hits in the shutout. Swetonic is filling in for former number three starter Woodie Fryman, on the DL with shoulder inflammation.

Wes Farrell took the ball from the Browns against Josh Beckett for the Pirates. Beckett struggled this season with a shoulder injury, and was 10-9 with a 2.33 ERA. I won't even get into a summary, except to say that a Pirate homer in the top of the second sealed our fate. Beckett was impressive only allowing five hits, and I don't think we even got a runner in scoring position. For a while I thought maybe we would get no-hit, but we just lost 2-0.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #58
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/12/1905 - World Series Game 2

After my failures actually managing the team I decided that I'll let the computer manager do the actual managing and stop interfering. I reserved my right to change my mind once again, but for now I'm staying out of it.

Tom Glavine battled The Only Nolan for game 2, and we took a 2-1 lead into the seventh. But errors did us in in both the seventh and eighth innings which led to unearned runs. Carlos Beltran and Steve Yerkes were the culprits, and our bats went silent as we fell 3-2 and fell into a 2-0 series hole as we head off on the road.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #59
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/14/1905 - World Series Game 3

I got my first glimpse of Steve Swetonic in game 3, who opposed Jim Clancy. There isn't much to say as we couldn't hit, or pitch and got blown out 6-0. Really, it didn't feel that close as the Pirates took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first and never looked back.

Down 3-0 our back is truly against the wall as way face off against Josh Beckett. Yeah...
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #60
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/15/1905 - World Series Game 4

We wasted a good opportunity when Joe Mauer singled and Jack Dittmer doubled to put runners on second and third in the first, and again stranded two runners in the second. Ferrell held the Pirates scoreless for the first three innings though, and things got excited in the fourth.

Dittmer led off the inning with a double, followed by back to back singles by Greg Brock and Raul Ibanez put us in front. Rick Peters walked later in the inning to force home the second run. The Pirates came back and cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fourth.

Max West hit a pinch hit double in the top of the sixth to drive in our third run of the game, and Rick Peters sacrificed in our fourth and final run. We held on for the 4-2 win and now trail the series 3 games to one.