Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #81
IDES
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Request

Hey Prof
Thanks for your ratings . Would you take a request ? Willis Earls [ Box rec 25072] . Campaigned unsuccessfully as a HWY, but then ran off a win streak
as a LHW in 1969-70,until he meet Jimmy Dupree.I remember following his win streak in Boxing Illustrated.
Thanks
IDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #82
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Hey Professor....

It's been a looonnggg time since I've been doing anything here around boards and was going through various posts on fighters that have come along in the past year. I think it's been the good part of a year since looking in here. I been looking through your post here and just wanted to say I've REALLY enjoyed your take on these fighters and all the insight into them. Great stuff! It was neat to see you pull back out actually a good number of guys that I remember I and think some others looked at some time ago.

My God! Was it really 6 years ago I rated Wipperman?!!

I've downloaded your ratings and looking forward to see your take on some of them from what I did.

Keep up all the great stuff relooking at some of these fighters.

Rocco Del Sesto
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #83
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Some More Spice!

As indicated elsewhere, I was into some sort of sports gaming odyssey. Had to fight the good fight and so on.

The wonderful thing for me (I know all of you have some reservation!), is that I cleared my desk and have returned!

So beware! This means that I'll been combing through my musty old copies of The Ring and Boxing Illustrated to rate those boxers whom I have found both interesting and of course, "spice of life".

My objective is to add the entertaining and obscure to your TBCB universe!
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #84
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
As indicated elsewhere, I was into some sort of sports gaming odyssey. Had to fight the good fight and so on.

The wonderful thing for me (I know all of you have some reservation!), is that I cleared my desk and have returned!

So beware! This means that I'll been combing through my musty old copies of The Ring and Boxing Illustrated to rate those boxers whom I have found both interesting and of course, "spice of life".

My objective is to add the entertaining and obscure to your TBCB universe!
Welcome back.

My semester has just ended so I'm on vacation for four weeks. I expect to be more active here myself.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #85
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Just a personal note to you, Bear...I pretty much kicked the academic can down the street. Not given tenure at a community college with a Ph.D! So what's the best comeback...I bailed mid-semester!!! You can appreciate the problems that sort of action might cause!

Sent the department chair 90 (I kid you not!) ungraded papers and exams. But I did email my kids to tell them that it would all be okay!

Totally retired with a New Jersey public employee pension and Social Security.

These days I skip down the local streets with profound thoughts of what I'll be doing with my next installment of my TBCB unis.

Oh, life is so wonderful!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #86
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just a personal note to you, Bear...I pretty much kicked the academic can down the street. Not given tenure at a community college with a Ph.D! So what's the best comeback...I bailed mid-semester!!! You can appreciate the problems that sort of action might cause!

Sent the department chair 90 (I kid you not!) ungraded papers and exams. But I did email my kids to tell them that it would all be okay!

Totally retired with a New Jersey public employee pension and Social Security.

These days I skip down the local streets with profound thoughts of what I'll be doing with my next installment of my TBCB unis.

Oh, life is so wonderful!!!
I'm going to be scheduling a meeting with a rep from our state retirement system this coming February. The very thought of discussing retirment options brings a serene smile to my face.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #87
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I'm going to be scheduling a meeting with a rep from our state retirement system this coming February. The very thought of discussing retirment options brings a serene smile to my face.
You won't regret it! Back in July, I volunteered as a tutor for the local literacy program, and next month I'll be conducting a citizenship course for those seeking naturalization.

It's so refreshing teaching people who actually want to learn!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #88
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Philly Cheesesteaks-Frankie Anselm Jr.

No relationship at all to the late 20s-early 30s Kid Anselm who fought Kid Chocolate as a bantam. Junior was actually Albert Broadster who prowled the welterweight ranks during the 1950s compiling a record of won 30 (KO 11) + lost 21 (KO 9) + drawn 0.

Unlike your typical Philly fighter, Anselm was somewhat of a wanderer, more than willing to leave the friendly confines of the City of Brotherly Love for advernture and a purse.

Beyond a bus ride into New Jersey to fight in Camden, Trenton, and Atlantic City, Anselm logged fights all over the Western Hemisphere. Among his ports of call were Havana, Mexico City, and Jamaica.

Stateside, he boxed in Chicago, Baltimore, Hartford, and Providence, Rhode Island. Moreover, he wasn't unknown to the New York fight crowd, hitting the venues in Brooklyn, White Plains, St. Nicks, and even a six rounder at Madison Square Garden.

Frankie was a skilled boxer who lacked a punch and owned a questionable chin, but he also had a lot of heart! He did have a couple big fights, but mostly he was your typical, undercard, prelim fighter.

He greatest claim to glory was an eight round points win over fellow Philly native, Charlie Scott, who was white hot at the time, in 1958. Two years later, Scott picked up a unanimous ten round win in a rematch.

Also in 1958, he was matched against Jose Torres in a ten rounder at St. Nicks. Jose need nine rounds for Art Mercante to count Frankie out...the only time Anslem was counted out.

It appears that training was one of Anselm's demons. Moving around, taking a fight where he could find one, was disruptive to his training. Thus, Anselm in the last few years of his career was a tad overweight, forcing him to fight above his natural weight class and square-off against those harder hitting middleweight.Name:  AnselmJr_Frankie.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  7.8 KB
Old 12-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #89
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Anselm Jr Rating

Sorry I forgot to attach this with the picture!
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 AnselmJr_Frankie.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 286 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #90
professordp
Hall Of Famer

The Harder They Fall...Terry Lewis

Standing at 6'6" and weighing in usually over 230 lbs., Terry Lewis was indeed an imposing figure in the ring. According to a thumbnail bio in The Ring (May 1958), this Sioux City, Iowa native was an "outstanding" college football player and was projected as sure to be a "big hit."

As things played out, he was just another of the "Great White Hypes" who populated the heavyweight ranks in the late 50s-early 60s and joining ranks of LaMar Clark, Wayne Womochil, and Harley Breshears...big, slow-footed white guys who had a reputed "punch" along with a confirmed glass jaw.

No worse (and perhaps a tad better than the above mentioned), Lewis ran off a string of seventeen knockouts/stoppages over a two year period when he launched his career in early 1957. Of course, it should be mentioned that these wins came at the expense of your typical stiffs.

Typically, Terry had a forty to fifty pound weight advantage (plus height and reach) over his opponents. So there weren't too many challenges disposing of the likes of Wayne Womochil, Don Jasper, Dave Roy, Gene White, and Ralph "KO" Hooker.

Only twice did Terry face fighters who outweighed him. In his pro debut, he squared off against against Bruce Olson who moved the scales to 262 lbs...twenty-two more pounds of beef than Terry was sporting. A year later, the redoubtable Eduardo Romero out-tallied him 251 to 233.

Still when the "moment of truth" arrived for Terry in Spokane, Washington on May 2, 1959, it was "little" Earl Atley (soon to rated in this thread) who burst Terry's balloon. Terry's weight advantage of forty-seven lbs. was a little consequence. Atlely, who went on to be a punching bag and red meat for the likes of Mike DeJohn, Tom McNeeley, and Pat McMurtry, dropped the big guy three times in the first round for an ultimate countout win.

Terry's manager, Tom O'Loughlin, attempted to restore the big fella's confidence by setting up easy bouts with Sandy Assouna, Roger Balliett, and Emil Brtko. Lewis obliged by scoring early wins.

This led to the ultimate reality check...a ten rounder against Kirk Barrow for the Pacific Northwest Heavyweight crown. At best, Kirk was a light-hitting, beefed up light heavy, who gave up more than fifty lbs. to Lewis.

Nevertheless, none of this stopped Kirk from decking Lewis five times in the fourth round of their October 17, 1960 match for a KO win in that frame.

Pure speculation on my part here. One could surmise that Lewis lost his "taste" for the ring at this juncture. Before stepping into the ring with Barrow, he was inactive for more than a year. Wisely, after being pounded for four rounds by Kirk, Terry called it a career, finishing with a rather deceptive record of 20 wins (19 via early stoppage) against two fights lost...both by knockout.

Fighters like Lewis, along with Bowie Adams later on (make your own minds up about Gerry Cooney...I'm not walking into that debate), have always interested me. Big, slow, white guys with a reputed punch (based upon wins over "red meat" and guys way past their prime) who never passed when they were tested.

Since this thread is all about the "also rans" who gave the sport some "spice", I really don't mean to disparage guys like Lewis and Adams. I just want to put them into perspective.

As the racial complexion was changing (particularly with the heavyweights) in boxing, these guys got attention and ink far beyond their actual abilities. Nevertheless, they were an integral part of the sport's flavor in the post-Marciano era.

I plan to weave Lewis (along with LeMar Clark, George Logan, and the rest of the late 50s-early 60s White Hopes) into a subthread in my "Partital Eclipse of the Sonny" uni.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #91
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Rating and Photo

Here's my rating and photo for Lewis.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Lewis_Terry.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 310 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #92
vistaman44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDES View Post
Hey Prof
Thanks for your ratings . Would you take a request ? Willis Earls [ Box rec 25072] . Campaigned unsuccessfully as a HWY, but then ran off a win streak
as a LHW in 1969-70,until he meet Jimmy Dupree.I remember following his win streak in Boxing Illustrated.
Thanks
Did Earls a while back and updated for my current 1970s HW universe, Ides. Here he is.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Earls_Willis_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 279 views)

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters, compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, philosopher and poet (1803-1882)

-----------------------------------
Currently operating 1970s SM-HW, 1940s, African, 1980s LW and women's boxing universes
vistaman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #93
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistaman44 View Post
Did Earls a while back and updated for my current 1970s HW universe, Ides. Here he is.
Thanks Mark, I never quite got around to doing that one!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #94
vistaman44
Hall Of Famer

Np

Quote:
Thanks Mark, I never quite got around to doing that one!!!
No problem, prof! I teach journalism, yearbook and photography at an all-boy military boarding school, as well as do PR. Not quite in your league, but always glad to help another teacher out!

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters, compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist, philosopher and poet (1803-1882)

-----------------------------------
Currently operating 1970s SM-HW, 1940s, African, 1980s LW and women's boxing universes
vistaman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #95
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistaman44 View Post
No problem, prof! I teach journalism, yearbook and photography at an all-boy military boarding school, as well as do PR. Not quite in your league, but always glad to help another teacher out!
Trust me Mark, you would not have enjoyed playing in that league.

What you're doing has to be far more rewarding and productive.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #96
a87star
Hall Of Famer

Prof.....Just a quick comment on Lewis. These type of HW's have been sprinkled in every era of boxing history. Ironically, they all seem to have really good PR machines behind them.
a87star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #97
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a87star View Post
Prof.....Just a quick comment on Lewis. These type of HW's have been sprinkled in every era of boxing history. Ironically, they all seem to have really good PR machines behind them.
I agree, but it was pretty pronounced whenever a non-white held the heavyweight crown (for a variety or reasons, Joe Louis was an exception). I suspect that the last real example of this was put to rest nearly thirty years ago when Holmes dispatched Cooney.

Where I do differ with you, however, relates to public relations "machines" (good term on your part!). In terms of Lewis and the post-Marciano white heavyweights during the 50s and 60s, you really didn't need to hire a public relations guy off of Madison Avenue...the boxing press (The Ring and Boxing Illustrated) seemed to be more than willing to splash a lot of black ink on a white heavyweight, regardless of his abilities.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #98
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Born to Lose-Earl Atley

Many times when I work on a rating for this thread, a particular song sticks in my mind.

For Earl Atley, I kept hearing that old Ray Charles tune, "Born to Lose", in my head as I reviewed Atley's career.

"Born to lose, I've lived my life in vain,
Every dream has only brought me pain..."

But Earl's life was anything but a life lived in vain. There's nobody who matches my guilt when it comes to using terms of denigration towards the fighters I rate. Still, my interest is to look for the compelling stories behind the boxer, and often I'm taken aback from what I learn.

In the end these were real people who lived lives that were much more than just lacing up a pair of boxing gloves. Such was the case with Earl Atley.

I had the opportunity to locate his death notice which gave me some insight into what he was as a person...not just a boxer.

He served our country during the Korean War as a member of the United States Air Force. In the process, he won the heavweight title for that service branch.

He mustered out and turned pro at the age of twenty-five back in 1956 and fought for seven years, compiling a less than distinguished record of 8 wins (all by stoppage) 18 defeats (stopped 8 times), and two draws.

His Air Force title aside, Earl really didn't have the talent to make the big time. When you start your career with a four round draw against Hurricane Holly, you're in for some problems down the road.

From late 1957 until mid-1959, Earl lost six straight fights, culminating with an eight round decision loss to Rufus Handsome.That's gotta tell you something!

It seemd that Earl was destined to be little more than "red meat" for boxers on the rise who wanted to fatten their record with an easy win.

The loss to Handsome set the stage for Earl's greatest moment in the ring. He was matched against Terry Lewis, a Great White Hope from middle America (see above) who came into the ring with an unblemished record of 17-0 (all the wins via early stoppage).

Earl, however, rose to the occasion decking Lewis three times in the first round to win via a KO in the initial stanza of the fight.

A month later, Earl was in against tought Par McMurtry and was taken out in the third round. After that it was pretty much downhill. Earl picked up paychecks fighting in the major Philadelphia venures, dropped a decision to Tony Hughes in Madison Square Garden, was kayoed in the first round by Mike DeJohn in Miami Beach, and was beaten up twice in Boston by Tom McNeeley.

Besides the upset kayo of Terry Lewis, the other bright spot in Earl's career was a rather controversial ten round decision loss to Kirk Barrow in Spokane, Washington. He also trained with Sonny Liston during this period.

After the his second loss to McNeeley in 1963, the then thirty-one year old Atley called it a career.

Here's where you get a real appreciation of the quality person Atley was during his life. He worked closely with his former manager, Sonny Wiggins, to create a boxing program that would take kids off the street to keep them away from drugs and gangs.

He's quoted as saying, "I hope I made a difference." I'm certain he did! By all accounts he was a wonderful father, a loving grandfather, and a faithful husband to his wife, Eleanor, for over fifty years.

These are the sort of facts that you don't get by just looking at what's listed in BoxRec.

The photo below was initially posted by Rom
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Atley_Earl.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 308 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #99
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Philly Cheesesteaks-Broderick Mason

Those of you well-versed in boxing trivia are no doubt familiar with Broderick Mason. He was on the losing end of one of the shortest fights in recorded boxing history.

Here's what BoxRec recounts about Mason's 1984 (his last pro fight) meeting with Ricky Parkey at Atlantic City's Tropicana Hotel an Casino.

"When the bell rang for the start of the bout Parkey crossed the ring and cracked Mason so hard that the Referee immediately stopped the bout. At the time, this was the quickest KO ever--at 00:8 seconds"

The referee, by the way, was Vincent Rainone.

Starting his career in 1977, Mason toiled pretty much as an undercard fighter who slugged his way to a record of 18 (KO 11) against 6 defeats (two by way of early stoppage).

Generally, he fought four- and six-rounders in the standard small venues of Philadelphia...places like the Blue Horizon, Champ's Camp, and the Wagner Ballroom against fighters best not remembered.

During the last four years of his career, he was somewhat a fixture in the Atlatntic City casino circuit.

Besides that rather embarassing stoppage against Parkey, he's also remembered for being Gerry Cooney's 18th victim when the "Gentleman" kayoed him in four at New York's Felt Forum in August 1979.

After hanging up the gloves, he remained active in Philly affairs, and he currently serves as a body guard for Mayor Michael Nutter.

Although Mason packed on about thirty pounds over the last twenty-five years, he still works out and is circumspect about what he eats.

According to the article cited below, he's tried, with mixed results, to impress the importance of diet and exercise upon Mayor Nutter.

Pulse: Chatter: The Mayor: Double Duty - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com

As a Jersey boy, I've always marvelled at the unique style of Philly boxing and its attendant color. Back in the day when I was developing my interest in boxing (late 1950s-early 1960s), there really wasn't too much going on in the Garden State (the Atlantic City casino thing only began in the very late 1970s).

Living about five miles from NYC, on our side of the Hudson, we had nothing like the Garden, St, Nicks, or Sunnyside Gardens. We had some good fighters...Jersey Joe, Galento, Jimmy Braddock, and later on Hurricane Carter. But those guys did most of their boxing out-of-state.

But Philly had a special charm if you were a boxing fan in Jersey. Colorful fighters and classic venues. Plus all those rivalries between fighters from different parts of the city.

At some point, I'd love to do a uni just focusing on the Philly fights scence, circa 1950s to 1970s. But that's a good distance down the road at this juncture!
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Mason_Broderick.tbdx3 (1.6 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by professordp; 01-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #100
a87star
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, but it was pretty pronounced whenever a non-white held the heavyweight crown (for a variety or reasons, Joe Louis was an exception). I suspect that the last real example of this was put to rest nearly thirty years ago when Holmes dispatched Cooney.

Where I do differ with you, however, relates to public relations "machines" (good term on your part!). In terms of Lewis and the post-Marciano white heavyweights during the 50s and 60s, you really didn't need to hire a public relations guy off of Madison Avenue...the boxing press (The Ring and Boxing Illustrated) seemed to be more than willing to splash a lot of black ink on a white heavyweight, regardless of his abilities.
Do you think that the handlers of these white heavyweights went to these publications and asked for a good word or did the media just sought these guys out so we could accept them as legit contenders when it really was the opposite? I'm thinking the latter but i'm sure there were a few cases when word of mouth played a role.
a87star is offline   Reply With Quote