Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #21
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

And the winner is.......

Lousghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

On a side note, both the fan interest and market size began to drop for the Highlanders. The AI so far to me doesn't seem to be doing very well.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

Honus Wagner

The Highlanders picked up Honus Wagner over the winter. That stuns me. He's 35, but we'll see how well he helps the team.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #24
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

1910, bottom drops out

I think I've run enough seasons to test the AI to determine I am better off handling things on my own. The computer just doesn't do a good job it seems, even with the financial strategy set to "win now".

Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #25
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

Phillies win 1910 title

And with that, my experiment has ended. I'm going to devote my time to managing my own baseball failures.....

Old 12-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
Nukester
All Star Starter

Interesting. Did you do an ammy draft each year, or put players on the real teams ?

I just finished up my 1907 season managing /GMing the Yankees (Highlanders) and heres how Ive done so far. This started in 1903 and has an ammy draft:

1903 - 68-72 5th place / score of 26
1904 - 88-66 2nd place / score of 37
1905 - 102-52 1st place. WS winner / Score of 73
1906 - 88-66 1st place. Lost WS / score of 42
1907 - 76-78 5th place / score of 27
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #27
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

Yes I held an am. draft each year and all of the teams had real players. I set the AI to 'win now' and there was enough money until the one year NY had a winning season. Then they started losing money. I think I'll start another one in 1903 and this time set the ai to 'neutral' and see how the results go through 1910.

I also think I'll turn off free agency as the real league didn't have it.

You've done much better so far running the show in your league.

I think I'll run through 1910 at neutral with the AI running the show, then start one from 1903 through 1910 with myself at the helm and see which one does better.

Last edited by Lousghost; 12-17-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #28
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

It appears the financial strategy of 'win now' actually adversely affects AI play, or the AI is just random. I've begun a dynasty using the same Highlanders only with the setting at 'neutral' and NY has won the AL two years in a row, 1905 and 1906, losing the World Series to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh respectively.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #29
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

I noticed something else about the AI running the show just now. I assumed since I had the AI controlling NY, that the financial settings were 'neutral' because that's the default. However when I looked at the team financials, the AI had NY's set to 'win now!'. So the AI does make changes and attempts to compete if you let it run the show.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #30
Nukester
All Star Starter

I take complete control of the major leagues and minor league, except I let the CPU control minor league lineups, depth charts, and pitching. I have one minor league at the moment, but will add another soon. Also I sim a week at a time and then look at stats, rosters, injuries, transactions, etc...Make any needed changes, then sim another week. I cant get fired though

Before I started the league, I set the Highlanders to average market size, average fan loyalty, and 50 fan interest. I also lowered my initial budget to aound 13th in the league. I have free agency set to 12 years, with arbitration after the 1st year (as discussed in this thread http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=152453)

A house rule I have is that I can only trade if the CPU makes me an offer, or if offered via the shop offer page. I have trades set to hard/favor prospects. For drafts, I cant draft a batter until the CPU drafts one or the 3rd riund, which ever comes first, and I have to take a MR somewhere around the 3rd or 4th round. Im using Garlons new database, which helps the CPU alot in drafts because it cuts down on the number of starting pitchers. I also hold myself back whenever I think Im getting the best of the CPU by a longshot, like when I was offered Ty Cobb for one of these knuckleheads. In extreme cases like that I will hold back, but I will try to get the better of the CPU most times if offered by one of my two accepted ways

Here is the 1905 championship team lineup and pitchers and how I aquired them:

SP - J. Tannehill (original)
SP - J. Chesbro (original)
SP - H. Howell (original)
SP - S. Wiltse (original)
MR/Spot SP - A. Puttmann (original)
MR - B. Wolfe (original)
MR - J. Halla (4th round pick 1904)
CL - B. Durham (1st round pick 1903)

C - M. Grady (traded for H. McFarland after the 1903 season)
1B - T. Jordan (original)
2B - C. Ritchy (traded for M. McIntyre after 1904 season, whom I got for J. O'Conner during the 1904 season)
SS - W. Conroy (original)
3B - E. Courtney (original)
LF - G. Stone (traded for J. Ganzel before 1903 season started)
CF - R. Thomas (traded for C. Griffith after 1903 season)
RF - W. Keeler (original)

Last edited by Nukester; 12-18-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Nukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #31
Lousghost
Minors (Single A)

You're far better at it than I. If I limited myself in the same fashion, I'd have NY winning about 50 games a season probably.