Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Defensive position rating calculator wrong for some live cards?

Anyone else notice that the calculator seems to be overestimating potential ratings for some live cards? Bellinger has been stuck on 63 at 1B for a few seasons when calculator says max of 67 and Happ seems to be stuck at 49 for 2B when calculator says max of 53.

I have done a lot of positional training and the most it has otherwise been out is 2. Have not noticed any differences more than 2 on any historical players so assume it's something to do with the live ratings.
The_Savage_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

I see Happ has now increased to 51 at 2B so he's fine but Bellinger has been stuck for quite some time.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
atabakin
All Star Reserve

The calculator will often overestimate a player's max by one. Occasionally it will be exact, but almost never off by more than one. For 1B, what height in cm are you using? Bellinger is 6'3, so you should be using 190. 191 and I think 192 are also technically 6'3, but OOTP uses the lowest cm that corresponds to that height in inches.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

I'm the calculator creator and the past 9 months or whatever I've never seen it off by more than maybe 2. If you enter everything in the proper cells (careful: it doesn't match the game display, it matches the downloaded ratings order), it should be fine. Sometimes the last few points do take a bit longer than the rest.

Anyway, now that you reminded me, I think I'll go in and change the calculator to round down the final ratings...it's even more accurate then. I'd change the cell order to match the game screen, but at this point that might confuse more people than it helps.

DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

The calculator is off by two sometimes also, mainly at 1B so it's probably a height thing. However, Bellinger is off by four.

Since I started using the calculator I set the game to display in cm anyway to make it easier for this purpose. The game says he's 193cm so I used that.

I've now noticed 63 rating at 1st is actually his pre-loaded rating. He's played over 3000 innings there for me and not gone up. Perhaps it's somehow capped by the game for some reason?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
I'm the calculator creator and the past 9 months or whatever I've never seen it off by more than maybe 2. If you enter everything in the proper cells (careful: it doesn't match the game display, it matches the downloaded ratings order), it should be fine. Sometimes the last few points do take a bit longer than the rest.

Anyway, now that you reminded me, I think I'll go in and change the calculator to round down the final ratings...it's even more accurate then. I'd change the cell order to match the game screen, but at this point that might confuse more people than it helps.
I've already changed the cell order on my local copy to match the game order so it's definitely not that. Here's his ratings for you to verify...
Attached Images
Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
atabakin
All Star Reserve

The game says 193 cm, but that's an error. He's primarily listed at 6'3, which corresponds to 190 cm, which corresponds to a max rating of 63.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

With the RoundDown on, I'm getting 66 (it's updated on Sheets now). I'm not sure why it's off for him by that much. And I've never seen any player that is artificially capped, so I don't know. You found one of the few big misses the calculator makes. EDIT: Nevermind, as atabakin said, must be a display error for height.

DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
The game says 193 cm, but that's an error. He's primarily listed at 6'3, which corresponds to 190 cm, which corresponds to a max rating of 63.
That's probably the problem but every website I went to said he's 6'4 or 193. I guess I'll log it in the bugs section (that his in game profile should be 6'4 rather than 6'3).
Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Savage_1 View Post
That's probably the problem but every website I went to said he's 6'4 or 193. I guess I'll log it in the bugs section (that his in game profile should be 6'4 rather than 6'3).
Yep, I don't disagree.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

There's a max height factor at some point to cap how much it helps, so that your 7'8 giant doesn't automatically become a 200 fielder at 1B. Maybe don't account for that in the spreadsheet?
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
The_Savage_1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
There's a max height factor at some point to cap how much it helps, so that your 7'8 giant doesn't automatically become a 200 fielder at 1B. Maybe don't account for that in the spreadsheet?
Do the gains in position ratings taper after a certain point rather than max out completely? Otherwise, I don't think that's the problem. I've checked a couple 1B that are over 193cm (Sam Horn 196cm and Jose Alberto Martinez 198cm) and they can both train over what their ratings would be according to the spreadsheet calculator had their height been 193cm. Although I did just notice that Freddie Freeman was out by 3 from the calculator so we're probably getting warmer as to finding the exact problem.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Savage_1 View Post
Do the gains in position ratings taper after a certain point rather than max out completely? Otherwise, I don't think that's the problem. I've checked a couple 1B that are over 193cm (Sam Horn 196cm and Jose Alberto Martinez 198cm) and they can both train over what their ratings would be according to the spreadsheet calculator had their height been 193cm. Although I did just notice that Freddie Freeman was out by 3 from the calculator so we're probably getting warmer as to finding the exact problem.
Yeah, you're right, it's not the height factor. I think it's just that the formula is ever so slightly wrong for 1B Now I don't know if I should give the fully correct formula or not. Keep in mind some ratings may be off by up to a point due to internal issues/rounding, so that can affect things a little.

Basically, the current formula with the displayed ratings yields a 66 rating for him at 1B. If I correct the spreadsheet to include the actual formula we use it code, it would give him a 64.6 rating at 1B. He seems to have the worst case of his displayed ratings being higher than the editor ratings, so if i use the correct ratings and the correct formula, he comes out as a 62.7, which displays as 63.

Now it's up to you to fix the spreadsheet
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
yno88
Minors (Double A)

Could somebody link the calculator and, if appropriate, give it a sticky?

Thanks

yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #15
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Here's a link to the post describing the calculator. Be sure to save a copy of the Google Sheet so you can edit values in the sheet:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...2&postcount=11
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote