Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
spartimae
Minors (Double A)

which tactic is best if you want a high scoring offence?
spartimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
spartimae
Minors (Double A)

is there any way for me to give my third line 1st or second line roles?
spartimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #23
kitridge
Bat Boy

How to use as GM

What's the best way to understand the tactical roles for my players when I'm playing GM-only in Path to Glory? I want to improve my 2nd line winger who is a '3 dot' screener, but I don't seem to have any indication what my own players are good at nor what the players I'm targeting excel in, nor do I have any way to see how my coach would use such a player should I trade for them (i.e. I might like the guy as a top 6 RW playmaker, but my coach might decide 3rd line two-way forward). How does everyone else deal with this in PTG as GM Only?
kitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #24
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

It's tough. We have a discussion going in another thread about ways to improve it. Mine was to include something in a player's scouting report under role or ability that gave an indication of the tactics to which he's suited. There are other ways it could be done, too.

Right now, since I have coach/gm going, I just plug different guys into different spots to see how the dots work out, then track it all on a spreadsheet. It's time consuming, but it only needs to be setup once, then updated as specific players get ratings boosts.

Since your in GM only mode, I'd suggest creating a sandbox version of your game (using the same team), but in coach mode, so you can at least fiddle around with roles a little.

The team has been really good at listening to our feedback, so we should see something coming out in an update. Not necessarily the first one, but one of the early ones.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #25
Big T
Hall Of Famer

I am loving the new tactics. Much like Torognius said. I keep track of my players roles and it aids me in locating players to fill roles and my current weaknesses based on my teams tactics. I find this has made me much more emersed in my team.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #26
pucku33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
If you're seeing a lot of 1- and 2-dot players, you may want to reconsider the tactic your using, as it may not be appropriate for the kind of players for your team (or, you can find some players that can execute it properly.
I think this feature may be broken based on that description. I play as the London Knights and have just FOUR players at two stars, the remaining SEVENTEEN at one star.

My tactic is Cycling/Counter Attack and ONE STAR Goalscorer, Max Jones, leads the league in scoring.
pucku33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:59 AM   #27
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Maybe I haven't gotten deep enough in the new tactics system... but one of the only complaints I have about the new system is player roles. For example, I have my powerplay tactic set to overload. For my 5vs3 PP, only one of my defencemen can have a defenceman role. For example, if I give my LD a 'Point Shooter' role, my RD gets roles like 'Playmaker' or 'Setup man', whereas my 5v4 and 4v3 PP units I can have a 'Point Shooter' and 'Playmaking Defenceman' on a single pairing.

IMO the way that player roles override one another seems kind of clunky. I like the feature itself, but I should be able to give two defencemen on a pairing "defencemen" roles. I know it's new and will be built upon, just wanted to air my grievance.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #28
DFyvie
Major Leagues

One question about the tactics screen: As a user I am unable to assign roles to any of my players in the 4on4/3on3 screen. However, if I let the AI assign lines and roles, those fields are filled. Is this a bug?
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 AM   #29
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucku33 View Post
I think this feature may be broken based on that description. I play as the London Knights and have just FOUR players at two stars, the remaining SEVENTEEN at one star.

My tactic is Cycling/Counter Attack and ONE STAR Goalscorer, Max Jones, leads the league in scoring.
It looks like the display isn't adjusting for league quality, it's all being compared to NHL-level standards, we'll have to change that.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:12 AM   #30
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFyvie View Post
One question about the tactics screen: As a user I am unable to assign roles to any of my players in the 4on4/3on3 screen. However, if I let the AI assign lines and roles, those fields are filled. Is this a bug?
No, that's deliberate, those use data from the 5-on-5 tactics.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 AM   #31
DFyvie
Major Leagues

One more question: When on the PP or on the PK, should I adjust the global settings or is this already activated with the particular tactic? In other words, should I speed up the tempo and ramp up my offensive risk-taking when on the powerplay.. or is that already being done anyway with the powerplay tactic I am using?
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #32
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Does it take roles from your L1, L2 etc or does it take roles for those specific players? I could just see an issue because I might want to have different pairings if I was playing 4v4 or 3v3.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #33
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Are there any plans to expand the tactics so that we can assign different tactics for each line rather than just even strength, power play, and penalty kill?

Wouldn't expect that in FHM 3 ofc, but maybe 4?
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #34
Peter-
Minors (Single A)

I noticed that the wrong defender played in one of my two lines in the 3on3 play in overtime. I had set Nils and Jaros on the defender position in each line but I saw that Melart took Jaros place and he alternated with Nils the hole overtime. Why is that? :O
Peter- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #35
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter- View Post
I noticed that the wrong defender played in one of my two lines in the 3on3 play in overtime. I had set Nils and Jaros on the defender position in each line but I saw that Melart took Jaros place and he alternated with Nils the hole overtime. Why is that? :O
My first guess (aside from something obvious like an injury or penalty) would be Jaros having run out of game fatigue time and Melart still having some left.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #36
Peter-
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
My first guess (aside from something obvious like an injury or penalty) would be Jaros having run out of game fatigue time and Melart still having some left.
Yes, it could be it! Many of my players have zero in that column in the end of the games..what is best to do so they bother a full match?
Peter- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #37
Charlatan1
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Enough with one column per player, not two. AI makes a Backstrøm of Ovechkin (prim shooter, then playmaker). Or to make it easyer, make is an option to have one or two columns.
Charlatan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #38
mmarra82
Major Leagues

In GM only mode you have no way to change tactics...correct?

However, if you play in GM/Coach mode you lose the current team's head coach...is that right?

I don't want to coach games, only be able to change my team's tactics to play.

Is there a way to do so?

Thanks for any guidance here guys...new to the game, enjoying it but having a tough time grasping a lot.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #39
GMO123
Major Leagues

Some GMs are less 'hands-on' managers (relatively less interference with what the Head Coach is doing) while other GMs are more 'hands-on' (giving the the Head Coach more directions as to what to do - tactics, players to play etc.).

This could be duplicated in FHM i.e. more flexibility in the GM role.
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote