Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #41
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Joe,
Is there a big downside to just ADDING these to our present file?

Great work, thank you.

JP
Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #42
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Do you mean pasting my names into the current names files, without deleting the existing names? I suppose you could do that, but the name frequencies would be all screwed up. Besides, as I've mentioned before, my namesets are "Americanized," while the OOTP namesets aren't, so you'd get a mish-mash of names that are Americanized and those that aren't. And finally, you'd still have the problem of the OOTP namesets that aren't ethnically homogenous -- e.g. OOTP's Irish nameset has lots of non-Irish names, whereas mine doesn't.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #43
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Do you mean pasting my names into the current names files, without deleting the existing names? I suppose you could do that, but the name frequencies would be all screwed up. Besides, as I've mentioned before, my namesets are "Americanized," while the OOTP namesets aren't, so you'd get a mish-mash of names that are Americanized and those that aren't. And finally, you'd still have the problem of the OOTP namesets that aren't ethnically homogenous -- e.g. OOTP's Irish nameset has lots of non-Irish names, whereas mine doesn't.
I see. Then it sounds like it is worth the effort to replace them as you recommend. Thank you.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #44
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, my namesets and the OOTP namesets are, for the most part, incompatible. That's because they are intended to perform different functions. For instance, if you wanted to run a league in Poland, you wouldn't want to use my Polish nameset. You'd use the OOTP nameset instead. On the other hand, if you want to integrate some Americanized Polish names into a North American league, I think my nameset is better.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #45
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This is great. Went ahead and integrated it into my current setup because as you've said, it's great for having more diverse American names or americanized names of players from those players. Not ideal in a global scenario, but great for other situations. Hell of a job, great work and thanks for sharing it with the community.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #46
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

GREEK-AMERICAN NAMES (nameset 23)

0.4% of American population

I hadn't planned on doing a Greek nameset, but I found this site that provided information about ethnic names in the US. The distribution of Greek names in the US is different from that in Greece, no doubt the result of the "Americanization" process that shortened a number of long names. So, for instance, Papadopoulos is evidently the most common name in Greece, but Pappas is the most common Greek-American name. Presumably, more than a few names like Pappas and Papa, common in the US, were originally much longer in the original Greek.

I base this set on the OOTP nameset, but I edited that nameset to eliminate some duplicates and drop some names that I either couldn't confirm were Greek or were the kind that probably wouldn't have survived Americanization. There are 787 names in the OOTP nameset. There are 1002 in the American Ethnic nameset.

Some prominent Greek-American baseball players include:
  • Milt Pappas
  • Gus Triandos
  • Harry Agganis
  • Eric Karros
  • Nick Markakis
  • Mike Moustakas

23 Greek-American Names.txt

23 Greek-American First Names.txt
Old 11-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #47
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

8 FRANCO-AMERICAN NAMES

French 3.0% of American population
French Canadian 0.8% of American population

This is another nameset that I hadn't planned on doing, but then I found some excellent resources on the internet. The OOTP French nameset is something of a mess - it's organized primarily by frequency rather than alphabetically, so I pretty much ditched the whole thing and started over from scratch. There are some names on the list that are practically unknown in France but that I added because they are fairly common in the Cajun community (such as Boudreau and Guidry). There are 1131 names in the OOTP nameset. There are 2302 names in the American-Ethnic nameset.

Sources that I used include:

LES NOMS LES PLUS PORTES EN FRANCE PAR NAISSANCE ENTRE 1891 et 1990
ACADIAN-CAJUN Genealogy & History: AUCOIN

Some prominent Franco-American ballplayers include:

Nap Lajoie
Lou Boudreau
Leo Durocher
Lew Burdette
Ron Guidry
Jim Lefebvre
Jerry Remy
Bill Monbouquette
Andy Pettite
Ryan Theriot

Rabbit Maranville is identified as French-American, but I can't confirm that. Disappointingly, I am inclined to believe that Frenchy Bordagaray's last name is Basque, not French.

8 Franco-American first names.txt

8 Franco-American names.txt
Old 11-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #48
Pyroman
Minors (Double A)

Hi Joe,

Thanks for doing this. I plan on using these for a dynasty I am starting.

I loaded these files into MS Access so I could have a better look at them and I found some errors:

9 Italian-American names.txt:
Federici.1,9 (period instead of comma)

14 Czech-American names.txt:
Prill,1,24 (24 instead of 14)

16 Scottish-American names.txt:
Scarth,1,18 (18 instead of 16)

18 Irish-American names.txt:
Sisk,1,16 (16 instead of 18)
Jennings,1,20 (20 instead of 18)

20 Anglo-American names.txt:
Perfitt,,20 (missing frequency)
Meddows.1.20 (periods instead of commas)
W (Seems to be just a random W in the middle of the data)
Poag,120 (Missing comma between 1 and 20)

31 Austro-American Names.txt:
Peer,2,3 (3 instead of 31)

32 Canadian Names.txt:
Hamlin,,32 (missing frequency)
Lytle,,32 (missing frequency)
Pyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:17 AM   #49
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Many thanks for those corrections. I appreciate it. If you or anyone else finds errors, please bring them to my attention.