Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #81
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Personally, I would trade Anthony. It would be somewhat hard to do since his contract is a rough one. But even getting pennies on the dollar at this point would be better for a rebuild.

The Knicks issue over the last 15 years has been that they try and apply bandaid fixes like signing dumb FA's trading for mediocre veterans and generally trying to do all things at all times.
Their own worst enemy seems to be their crazy fans who demand that the team stay relevant at all times.
That is incredibly hard to do season in and season out. I don't see any quick fixes for them.
Winslow or Mudiay was not going to turn the Knicks into a 50 win team even if they managed to get another high impact FA.

The Knicks have endured years of having little cap room and trading away draft picks. You don't get over that in a year.

And I am not really sure the Knicks owe Anthony anything. His knees are a very real concern.
I don't see anything they can do in FA to make this team a contender again in a short while.
And by contender I am not talking about getting into the playoffs as a 6-8 seed.
In the east you have to measure yourself by Cleveland and Atlanta (who make look different next season)
And to lesser extent Chicago, Washington, Toronto and Indiana.
Are the Knicks even as good as Milwaukee? No, Milwaukee despite some increasingly dumb moves are still looking at a good core.

I have never lived in New York so I can't understand the mindset. But it seems like the teams own worst enemy is their own fan base.
Good post except for the aspersion about Knicks fans. I think we fans have been very patient, considering that we have not won a title in 40 years while other franchises have won plenty.

We are just frustrated with year after year of poorly performing teams that don't perform with heart and effort and I am talking about all the way back to the 90's when I last respected this team.

Then, all of the dumbhead moves. Think of Antonio McDyess. Think of Eddie Curry. Think of Raymond Felton. Think of Amar’e Stoudemire. Think of Andrea Bargnani.

Think of all the good players and picks that the Knicks have given up and who went on to star elsewhere. And on and on - this article is demonstrative.

Now think of all the money the Knicks have wasted on marginal free agents at best. Not just wasting money, but also getting themselves into salary cap trouble in the bargain. Read this article for a reminder.

By the way, we have not talked yet about another recent blunder. The Knicks traded two future 2nd round picks to the 76'ers for the rights to Guillermo Hernangomez, a center from Spain. Sounds good, eh?

Think again. This is a guy who is not very good in his current European league and who has not even committed to coming to the NBA in the first place! Yet we give up 2 future second round players who might already be NBA-ready for just the rights to this guy.

No sir. This is not being spoiled. This is frustration with an organization that cannot put together a winner in New York City. This is frustration with losing 65 games and yet mismanaging the advantage of being a lottery team, so no solace for suffering through a season like that one.

The common denominator over time is ownership by the Madison Square Garden corporation and management by the dumb-as-a-stump son of Cablevision founder Charles Dolan, James Dolan. Dad's money bought MSG and put Jimmy in charge. Everyone who comes to work for him turns into a yes man, although the jury on Jackson is still out.

But if all this was Jackson's idea, I'm baffled. This is the genius of basketball?

I may not see another Knicks championship in my lifetime but I would settle for intelligent management decisions and competitive players who play with heart and consistent effort. I don't think that makes me spoiled.

It makes me frustrated.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-27-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #82
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

U guys got Afflalo pretty cheap. That's something to be happy about, I guess...
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #83
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
IDK. He's a borderline starter and is getting 8 mil per. Actually seems a bit high to me.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #84
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
IDK. He's a borderline starter and is getting 8 mil per. Actually seems a bit high to me.
I can see a backcourt of Affalo at SG and Jerian Grant at PG, someday at least when Grant is ready. Until then, we are stuck with the likes of Calderon, Larkin, and Shved. They should dump Calderon but maybe one of the other two will step up this season.

In other news, Greg Monroe gave the Knicks a stiff arm, for sure! Didn't want to play for any bottom-feeder like the Knicks!

Then I see the headline: Lopez heading to the Knicks? I say, well, I dunno . . . Brook has not been playing all that great . . . then I see it's his lesser twin Robin Lopez. More of a defensive kind of guy. Good fit?

Well, let's see who's on the Knicks roster at C, shall we? Bargnani! My gosh, somebody stick a fork on that guy. Hernangomez. Oh yeah, that's the guy the Knicks traded two 2nd round picks for the rights to him, but he has not indicated whether he wants to come over from Spain to join the NBA yet. Aldrich. Who?

By all means, Robin, come on over to the right coast. What's a few more million for an (up-to-now) mediocre big man? Maybe this will actually work out for a change.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 07-03-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #85
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

They keep talking about this guy optimistically. I start to believe, then I see the scarecrow pictures and my mind rebels. Yes, he's only 19 but he must BULK UP to play in the NBA (I will listen to arguments that a really skinny guy can succeed, but I just keep seeing him getting pushed around by truly big men). The Knicks must acquire a protein shakes company!

Is Porzingis someone for Knicks to believe in?

- Bru

Old 07-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #86
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

And again, this was nice to read:

Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis stands tall against 76ers' Jahlil Okafor

I mean, this:
Quote:
Porzingis twice blocked an Okafor shot, once late in regulation and again late in overtime. Okafor had the better overall game, finishing with 18 points compared to nine for Porzingis. But Porzingis' defense late helped the Knicks to an 84-81 win over the 76ers.
And this:
Quote:
"He loves to compete," Derek Fisher said. "That's why we're excited about the potential that he has. A lot of the young guys don't love the game and playing and competing and mixing it up the way he does. I don't think he really thinks about his frame as a disadvantage. He's willing to get down and dirty. I think he showed that. "He stood right up to Okafor and played him. Statistically, Okafor won the game, but Kristaps' team won. That's the major stat that really tells you the difference between guys."
Is there actual hope? Could this guy actually develop into something? Rhetorical questions, I know.

Heh, he's certainly working on his game face:
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 07-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #87
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Grantland had a similar piece on the Okafor/Porzingis matchup. Sounds like he (or the coaching staff) made some adjustments to start fronting Okafor in the second half and it worked better than getting constantly backed down under the basket.

Of course in the NBA, he'll probably never have to guard someone like Okafor anyway so it is moot. But it's good for development.

EDIT: link for convenience: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nb...mott-and-more/

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 07-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #88
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

ZZZzzz . . . . ZZZzzz . . . ZZZzzz . . . *snork* . . . What? What was that I just heard?
Quote:
The Knicks had so many long nights last year, so many games where they were overmatched and underwhelming. In their regular-season opener, they looked nothing like that team. Their overhauled roster played with passion and played together, and their new and improved second unit rescued their starters, sparking the Knicks’ impressive and unexpected opening-night 122-97 rout of the Bucks.
Hmmm. Simmer down, Mr. Sportswriter. This is only one game. One game! Wake me up again if they are still playing with heart and determination at mid-season. Until then, 'night now!

ZZZzzz . . .

- Bru

Old 10-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #89
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Good post except for the aspersion about Knicks fans. I think we fans have been very patient, considering that we have not won a title in 40 years while other franchises have won plenty.

We are just frustrated with year after year of poorly performing teams that don't perform with heart and effort and I am talking about all the way back to the 90's when I last respected this team.

Then, all of the dumbhead moves. Think of Antonio McDyess. Think of Eddie Curry. Think of Raymond Felton. Think of Amar’e Stoudemire. Think of Andrea Bargnani.

Think of all the good players and picks that the Knicks have given up and who went on to star elsewhere. And on and on - this article is demonstrative.

Now think of all the money the Knicks have wasted on marginal free agents at best. Not just wasting money, but also getting themselves into salary cap trouble in the bargain. Read this article for a reminder.

By the way, we have not talked yet about another recent blunder. The Knicks traded two future 2nd round picks to the 76'ers for the rights to Guillermo Hernangomez, a center from Spain. Sounds good, eh?

Think again. This is a guy who is not very good in his current European league and who has not even committed to coming to the NBA in the first place! Yet we give up 2 future second round players who might already be NBA-ready for just the rights to this guy.

No sir. This is not being spoiled. This is frustration with an organization that cannot put together a winner in New York City. This is frustration with losing 65 games and yet mismanaging the advantage of being a lottery team, so no solace for suffering through a season like that one.

The common denominator over time is ownership by the Madison Square Garden corporation and management by the dumb-as-a-stump son of Cablevision founder Charles Dolan, James Dolan. Dad's money bought MSG and put Jimmy in charge. Everyone who comes to work for him turns into a yes man, although the jury on Jackson is still out.

But if all this was Jackson's idea, I'm baffled. This is the genius of basketball?

I may not see another Knicks championship in my lifetime but I would settle for intelligent management decisions and competitive players who play with heart and consistent effort. I don't think that makes me spoiled.

It makes me frustrated.
He is the Coaching genius of basketball not the managing genius. (Like Billy Beane)

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #90
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

The managing genius was jerry west.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:06 PM   #91
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

These Knicks are better. That's not saying much, considering how bad they were, but they are better. Sixth win tonight; that did not happen until January 19 last season.

Oh, and I may have been wrong about this guy Porzingis.

- Bru

Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #92
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Warriors are 15-0. One more win and they set a new record for the best start to a season.

In tonight's win over the Nuggets, they had SEVEN players record at least three assists each. Pretty sure that doesn't happen very often.

I was saying on another board that they should call Porzingis "The Big Putback".

Last edited by kenyan_cheena; 11-23-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #93
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Oh, and I may have been wrong about this guy Porzingis.
Ya think?
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #94
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Ya think?
OK, listen, before we play "Pile on Bru," I'm as humble as the next man, humbler than most folks here, I'd say, in that I am capable of admitting error. [But it is only 14 games. But again, this kid had 24 points, 14 rebounds, and 7 blocked shots against the Rockets the other night! )

OK, so I may have made a mistake and everybody should be thankful that I do not run the Knicks. [Although, in recent years, I doubt that I would have done any worse . . . ]

Still, this is what we saw on draft night - I think I can be forgiven, looking once again at this photo.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #95
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

I bet a lot of Knicks fans are regretting booing that pick right now..
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #96
swoboda
All Star Starter

He needs a better nickname than KP

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #97
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
Well, don't call him "Zinger" because he doesn't like that one!

- Bru

Old 11-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #98
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Porzingis may be the second best player from the 2015 draft.

Right now I have it
Townes
Porzingis
Winslow
Okafor

Russell may be good but the Lakers are such a screwed up team and have a mentally incapacitated coach.
He needs to be playing 36 min a game and handling the ball and running the offense.
This year is really a lost year on his development and that is a shame. The Lakers are a ****ing ****show.
I have no idea what their front office is doing

Instead you have the corpse of Kobe handling the ball and sucking up the offense like a black hole and jacking up contested shots.

The Knicks are actually fun to watch.
I don't like Carmelo (his game, not meaning him as a human being). And I don't think he likes that the Knicks crowd is not chanting his name (that was awesome in that game)
In fact I think the Knicks should not worry about going for that 6th playoff seed and instead trade Carmelo and bring in another draft pick and get an actual useable guard.

But what I like the best is that even though Derek Fisher has shown no potential as a coach. I think Phil Jackson has pretty much set down the law that Kris needs to play and needs to be a focus of the offense.

And I have watched enough professional basketball to be able to see that if he avoids serious injury and keeps his head on straight that he can be the 2nd or even 1st best player on a championship team.
I always knew he could shoot and had some athleticism.
But his mentality, aggressiveness, lateral quickness surprise me.
He also already looks polished. He is also already a terror on the offensive glass.
He reminds me of a much more athletic early Kevin Love with much better defense but a much worse inside game.
His inside game can improve as can his defense.
His athleticism is even better than I thought and if he continues to play balls to the wall chasing down even offensive rebound then he has a lot of value.
He is also a fantastic shooter and his size is a real issue. If inside players chase him out to the perimeter he can shoot over them or drive around them or if he becomes a better passer he can pass it back inside.
If a perimeter player comes out to contest him then good luck. His size is so long and his shot release is so high that he is unfazed shooting semi contested shots.

I really like what I have seen so far out of him. I was hoping for the best from him and it is a small sample size but I like some of the trends I am seeing.
He does wonders for New York's floor spacing which has declogged their slow and stagnant offense.
And if he keeps the mentality of being willing to play both inside and outside then we will continue to get 3 offensive rebounds a game and keep the floor spaced.

And Karl Townes
Jesus
What a shame he toiled away at Kentucky for a year only getting to practice for 22 hours a week.
This kid should have been a professional from the time he was 17 with top coaches and unlimited training hours.
He is ungodly good already.

And we get Ben Simmons next year. Another tragic story that he loses a year of his basketball life at LSU.

The NBA is in a great place right now with so many great young players.
If the NBA wanted to push out of 32 teams in the next 8-10 years they have the talent to do so.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 11-25-2015 at 02:45 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #99
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
I already said "The Big Putback" is awesome.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #100
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

At one point the other night, the Knicks were losing to the 10-10 Utah Jazz by a score of 70 to 37.

70 to 37.

That's losing by 33 points, folks. In an NBA game, not some mismatched college farce.

How can it be possible to beat a team that badly on a professional level? Or, put another way, how can it be possible to lose that badly and still call yourself a professional?

What say we dump all these clowns except for players from Latvia? Maybe we can recruit the entire roster of VEF Riga to come over here and play some spirited basketball for the city of New York?
Attached Images

- Bru