Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 04-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Adding new world

complete newb when it comes to xml editing here. I've read through bunch of the tutorials/etc posted, so now I'm working on my first attempt at adding new fictional locations to the world.xml database. It seems pretty straightforward (lining up the continents, nations, states, cities etc on the proper indentation lines and such).

However, when I try to add a second 'world' after the </WORLD> entry that closes the default data for Earth, I get an error that says "document type doesn't allow element WORLD here".

Do I need to create a separate 'world.xml' database to contain my fictional world, or is it possible to have world=1, world=2, world=3 in a single database?
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

Based on a quick test I did, if you attempt to add a second world, you will get an "XML parsing error" claiming that there is "junk after document element". (Quotes are the game's words.) The test was an exact copy of the default world_default so, basically, even if it's correct, you will get an error. The world ID number isn't important here (since it was accidentally first tested with ID 2 as the initial world), it just matters which one is listed first in the file.

Since you can only do one world at a time, my suggestion is to make the second world as a different continent or set of continents. Subregions will help split the continent(s) the way you need to split it/them and will, in general, limit leagues to only players of that subregion. You still to tinker with the player origins, but all that's required is to remove the random origin players (since if you want continent A to only be represented in one league, leaving the random origins open allows continent B players to also occasionally join); tinkering further is up to you.

I hope this helps. I know it's not exactly what you want, but I hope it gets you something similar to that. While I'm not the most experienced member of these forums, I like tinkering with world_default as well, and I figured I could help you out. Granted, the most advanced I've done (so far) is merge countries, but this should be applicable whether you're creating new Earth countries/continents or creating out of this Earth countries/continents. I'll let some of the more experienced people prove me wrong, though...
siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the reply. I tinkered a bit last night and copied all my continents/nations/etc into world 1 after the last </continent> entry; and that worked just fine (can't get my flag to show up for some reason, but I'll keep tweaking that to see what I'm missing... I have the correct nation abbreviation in the xml and the matching flag/abbreviation in the nation-flag file, so not sure why it won't come up).

Initially I thought that, since the other labels with multiple entries open with <NATIONS> and then <NATION> to identify the separate ones, that perhaps adding a <WORLDS> at the beginning, and a </WORLDS> at the end might allow more than one world to be added, but the same error showed up in the script at the bottom; so perhaps only one world is allowed per file.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

Sounds like you've got the XML thing covered now, so that's great.

I don't know enough about your flag issue to fully help you out yet. I can only speculate that it might be the wrong file type or that it's not in your database's nation_flags directory. If neither is the case, then I'm not sure what the issue would be. As I've never had too many flag issues in the past, I can't necessarily base things on my own personal experience.

Either way, I wish you luck in getting it to show up.
siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

yeah, the flag thing kinda boggles me at the moment. I actually took an existing flag and just renamed it the same abbreviation as my new nation, but it still doesn't show up; so I have to be missing something else (or there's a refresh/reload function I haven't done, but I exit/relaunch OOTP each time I make new adjustments).