Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 05-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Is anyone planning to make roster sets based on 19th century leagues

Because if so, I'd be very interested in such a project as I'd be in need of a lot of players for a future project that I have in mind

SO is there anyone that is looking into such a task at present or in the near future??

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

I am planning on releasing an 1871 starter league file after Arod23 and I finish our DB.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon
I am planning on releasing an 1871 starter league file after Arod23 and I finish our DB.
thar'd be cool. What leagues and level of completeness does this DB have?

Also I"m assuming that anything that pre-dates the National League is almost impossible to find players for?

PT22

Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

The DB goes back to 1871, includes National Association, National League, and American Association. We are dumping out almost all of the Union Association players and many of the Players League players though.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The DB goes back to 1871, includes National Association, National League, and American Association. We are dumping out almost all of the Union Association players and many of the Players League players though.
Hmm 1871, that's pretty impressive. I assume records before that are sketchy at best for the amateur ranks (I forget what the name of that league was, I ahve ti listed in another thread).

Also if I may ask, how come you're dumping the players from these two leagues?

PT22

Old 05-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
disposableheros
Hall Of Famer

its not that difficult to find names of players who played pre-1871, but finding any info on their abilities is tough and then translating those into something meaningful in relation to stats for a usable database is even tougher.

i gave up trying to add them to a DB i've been working on for the last few months.

Baseball Maelstrom - New York Mets - 180-149 .547
Corporate League Baseball - Coke Buzz - 889-649 .578
Western Hemisphere Baseball League - Santiago Saints - 672-793 .459

Record - 2428-2271 .517
disposableheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

We are probably dunping all but 14 of the Union Association players because it should not be considered a major league. If we don't dump them out, when you get to 1884 in a historical simulation your rookie draft will be flooded with all of these guys who played in a league that only lasted a single season and they'll of course be in you OOTP league for full careers. We just didn't want these guys infiltrating an OOTP league dedicated to historical major league simulation.

The sam thing pretty much goes for the 1890 Players League, however we are keeping anyone who played in that league but also had significant time in the real major leagues.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We are probably dunping all but 14 of the Union Association players because it should not be considered a major league. If we don't dump them out, when you get to 1884 in a historical simulation your rookie draft will be flooded with all of these guys who played in a league that only lasted a single season and they'll of course be in you OOTP league for full careers. We just didn't want these guys infiltrating an OOTP league dedicated to historical major league simulation.

The sam thing pretty much goes for the 1890 Players League, however we are keeping anyone who played in that league but also had significant time in the real major leagues.
wel the way I look at it, once the league folds (or even if it folds for us folks that do alt. history), they'd probably be so crappy that they'd either sit in the low minors or stay unemployed.

That's just my suggestiosn though.

PT22

Old 05-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

That's not what happens tho actually. The 1884 Union Association was a bogus league. You had guys who played in that league and hit over .350, but couldn't hit .125 in the real major during trial periods. There's nothing OOTP that says playyer X had a 1-year career so he will scrub out after 1 season in OOTP. Let's say we keep these guys in and there's some guy who hit .350 in the UA....he imports with a great contact rating and will be a dominant player against other real major leaguers when we know that shouldn't be the case. Of course I could modify the stats of all these players to look like majo league stats, but even then we'd still be flooding the major leagues with all these 1-year players. It's just not something we wanted to have with our DB.

You can get all of those guys straight out of the lahman DB of course.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
Vris
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not what happens tho actually. The 1884 Union Association was a bogus league. You had guys who played in that league and hit over .350, but couldn't hit .125 in the real major during trial periods. There's nothing OOTP that says playyer X had a 1-year career so he will scrub out after 1 season in OOTP. Let's say we keep these guys in and there's some guy who hit .350 in the UA....he imports with a great contact rating and will be a dominant player against other real major leaguers when we know that shouldn't be the case. Of course I could modify the stats of all these players to look like majo league stats, but even then we'd still be flooding the major leagues with all these 1-year players. It's just not something we wanted to have with our DB.

You can get all of those guys straight out of the lahman DB of course.
Or, with the new game, set the Union Association to about .25 of what the major leagues at the time are at.

Blog it.
Vris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #11
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I ran over to paper of record to check out old copies of the Sporting News. In 1901, you had, in addition to the two major leagues, about a dozen minor leagues significant enough to have their box scores listed. The three AAA leagues all formed sometime in the 19th century under different names. The Western Association, the Eastern League, and the California League eventually formed the core of the American Association, the International League, and the Pacific Coast League respectively. There was also a Western League, a Southern League/Association with 12 teams in 1893, a Connecticut League, the Three I League, and others. I don't know the dates all these were actually formed, but since we can't add and delete leagues I guess it's not important.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon
I ran over to paper of record to check out old copies of the Sporting News. In 1901, you had, in addition to the two major leagues, about a dozen minor leagues significant enough to have their box scores listed. The three AAA leagues all formed sometime in the 19th century under different names. The Western Association, the Eastern League, and the California League eventually formed the core of the American Association, the International League, and the Pacific Coast League respectively. There was also a Western League, a Southern League/Association with 12 teams in 1893, a Connecticut League, the Three I League, and others. I don't know the dates all these were actually formed, but since we can't add and delete leagues I guess it's not important.
but can you not add and remove sub-leagues? Either way if worse comes to wose I'll just do it like we ahve too in OOTP6 or something.

PT22