Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #41
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  TDMN.png
Views: 313
Size:  20.2 KB
July 23, 1962

Texas Takedown

The Dallas Texans have forced a game six, defeating the New York Mets in spectacular fashion by a score of 2-1.

Team aces Paul Toth and Bob Greenwood had quite the pitcher's duel yet again. The Mets scored their only run of the game in the fifth inning, but it was all they could muster against Greenwood, who went the complete game allowing just the one run on five hits.

"Greeny didn't have his best stuff today, but he battled," Texans manager Butch Hogan said. "I mean how often do you see a guy not strike a single guy out but go the complete game and only allow one run? He battled his butt off today."

It originally looked like that one run would be enough for the Mets, as Toth matched Greenwood tit for tat all game long, but the Texans walked it off on a 2-RBI single by Earl Torgeson.

Toth went seven and one-third for the Mets, allowing no runs on four hits while striking out five. Bob Garibaldi earned the loss, giving up the walk-off to Torgeson.

The two teams have an off day to account for travel to New York before resuming play at Payson Stadium.
gskweres9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #42
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  TNYT.png
Views: 292
Size:  20.9 KB
New York, Thursday, July 26, 1962

MARVELOUS METS

The New York Mets have defeated the defending champion Dallas Texans and have won the Continental Series. The game was yet another pitcher's duel as the Mets won 2-1.

Dennis Ribant got the ball for the Mets, pitching seven innings, allowing one run, and striking out seven. The Texans scored their lone run in the fourth on a Carl Hutzler RBI single.

The Mets took the lead in the 8th inning on a solo homer by Jim Lefebvre.

"I got a pitch to hit and was able to do something with it. I care about winning more than anything. I'm going to cherish this for a while," Lefebvre said.

The 1962 Continental Series was the second iteration of the league's championship series. The Texans defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs to win in 1961.

"This is what I had in mind when I set out to bring a second team to New York," William Shea said. Shea was integral in bringing the Mets to New York, and paired up with Branch Rickey to start the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs.

"This was another great season, and this league has nothing but great things ahead. Right now is about the New York Mets and their accomplishment," league president Branch Rickey said.

Name:  New York Mets.png
Views: 299
Size:  118.2 KB
Old 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #43
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 278
New York, Friday, August 3, 1962

Continental League Announces Expansion

The Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs has officially announced expansion from 8 to 10 teams, adding franchises in Memphis and New Orleans. The expansion brings yet another high profile owner into the mix of clubs: Elvis Presley.

The rockstar broke onto the scene with his music in 1956 and has begun making a foray into Hollywood. Now, he's added sports to his résumé.

"Getting to own a team in my hometown of Memphis was an opportunity I couldn't pass up on. I will do everything I can to bring a winner to Memphis," Presley said.

"We couldn't be more excited than to have someone like Elvis join our group of fine owners," league president Branch Rickey said. "He brings publicity and excitement to a league that is already booming."

Rickey also spoke highly of the Memphis market.

"The Memphis Chicks did extremely well in the Southern Association. Their minor league team flourished, I see no reason why this professional team won't flourish as well," Rickey said.

While the high profile Presley is getting a lot of attention, the new team in New Orleans has league executives brimming with excitement as well.

"I'm just giddy that we added a team in New Orleans," league executive William Shea said. "New Orleans is a big market with a rich baseball history that has never gotten the chance to have a big league ball club. Now they do."

As of the 1960 US Census, New Orleans is the 15th largest city by population. Memphis is 22nd.

The expansion in teams also comes with an expansion in schedule, as Rickey announced the schedule will expand from 84 to 144 games. Each team will play each other 16 times.

The teams will reveal their nicknames and uniforms later in the offseason.

League Award Winners

Expansion wasn't the only big news at the owner's meetings, as the 1962 award winners were also revealed.

New York Mets starting pitcher Paul Toth cleaned up, winning both the Pitcher of the Year and Most Valuable Player Awards. Toth went 13-4 with a 1.45 ERA on the season.

Name:  paul_toth_1962_.png
Views: 292
Size:  153.9 KB

Tommy John of the Toronto Maple Leafs came second in Pitcher of the Year voting, while Fergie Jenkins of the Houston Colt .45s came in third. In Most Valuable Player voting, the Toronto Maple Leafs Leon Wagner came in second while Toth's teammate Jim Lefebvre came in third.

Around the MLB

About two months remain in the MLB regular season. The New York Yankees lead the American League with a 53-40 record. Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris have helped them have baseball's best offense. Just one GB in the American League are the Chicago White Sox. Gene Conley (10-4, 1.92) leads the American League's best pitching staff.

The race isn't nearly as close in the National League, as the San Francisco Giants have a commanding 8 1/2 game lead. Behind them are the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers might have the best pitching staff ever, with Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, and Juan Marichal, but they just haven't been able to keep up with the streaking Giants.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #44
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  Times-Picayune-Logo.png
Views: 265
Size:  12.7 KB
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Friday, August 24, 1962
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

New Orleans' Newest Team

Owner Alex Dumars of the New Orleans Baseball Club of the Continental League revealed his team's nickname, logo, colors, and uniforms at a pep rally at Tad Gormley Stadium on Thursday.

The baseball club will be called the New Orleans Alligators. The name wasn't what many of the fans wanted, but they will embrace the team.

"I was hoping they would be called the Pelicans," New Orleans native Beverley Watts said. "I'm fine with the Alligators though. It represents New Orleans. I can't wait to go out and watch them play.

The team's main colors will be purple and gold. Dumars had his biggest signing to this point, Hector Maestri, model the new uniforms.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.16.03 PM.png
Views: 329
Size:  111.7 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.16.31 PM.png
Views: 286
Size:  113.4 KB

"Listen I'm just here to play baseball and win games. I'll wear a skirt for all I care, but these are some pretty uniforms," Maestri said.

Dumars says as long as he owns the club, they will do plenty of winning. "New Orleans has a rich baseball history with the Pelicans. I remember my Dad telling me stories of watching Shoeless Joe Jackson play for the Pelicans. We've had many great players come through here. Now, we're a professional club, and we are going to do a lot of winning," Dumars said.

Dumars isn't nearly as high profile of an owner as many of the other owners in the Continental League. He's made his wealth as an executive with the oil and gas company Schlumberger.

"I'm certainly no Elvis Presley, but spending money won't be a problem. We will be competitive. I love this city and this city deserves a winner," Dumars said.

The Alligators will begin play in April at Tad Gormley Stadium.

Name:  New Orleans Alligators CL.png
Views: 281
Size:  100.0 KB

Last edited by gskweres9; 04-16-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #45
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  The Commercial Appeal.png
Views: 268
Size:  18.7 KB
Saturday, September 1, 1962 | Memphis, Tennessee

Ain't Nothin' But Some Hound Dogs

The new professional baseball team in Memphis will be called the Memphis Hound Dogs.

The name is an ode to owner Elvis Presley's hit song "Hound Dog". The team revealed the uniforms and logo at their stadium on Friday. High profile signing Don Newcombe modeled the uniforms.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.38.33 PM.png
Views: 316
Size:  118.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.38.53 PM.png
Size:  70.4 KB

Newcombe, a former Cy Young award winner and Most Valuable Player for the Los Angeles Dodgers, is excited for his opportunity with the Hound Dogs.

"A lot of players have come over from the MLB to play in the Continental League and had some success. I'll have the opportunity to play against guys like Ted Williams, Maury Wills, Leon Wagner, and more. I don't get to just keep playing baseball, I get to play good baseball," Newcombe said.

Newcombe will likely pitch out of the starting rotation, something he hasn't done in a couple of years.

"I don't think I will struggle to start again. That's another reason I was excited to come here. Philly obviously used me out of the bullpen the last couple of years," Newcombe said.

Newcombe appeared in 24 games for the Phillies, pitching 48 innings with a 3.94 ERA. Newcombe last started for the Cincinnati Reds in 1959. He went 13-8 with a 3.16 ERA in 29 starts.

The Hound Dogs will compete in the Continental League's Western Division, and will compete with the Buffalo Lakers, Atlanta Pilots, Toronto Maple Leafs, and defending champion New York Mets.

Name:  memphis_hound_dogs.png
Views: 426
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #46
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 268
New York, Thursday, October 18, 1962

Giants Sweep Series

The San Francisco Giants defeated the New York Yankees 6-2 at Candlestick Park on Wednesday to win the World Series. It is the Giants first World Series victory since moving to San Francisco in 1957.

Willie Mays received World Series MVP honors. He hit .412 with a homer on the series.

While the Yankees still won the American League, the sweep capped what was a little bit of a disappointing season for the baseball powerhouse. They won just 89 games and took advantage of a weak American League. In fact, they needed a one-game playoff against the Washington Senators to secure the American League Pennant.

If the Yankees want to win the World Series next year they will need to address the Starting Rotation. The normally reliable Whitey Ford went 11-11 with a 4.87 ERA. At 33-years-old, we may have seen the best of him.

Shea Takes Shot At Yankees
Continental League executive William Shea says the Mets are "New York's only champion."
Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #47
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 273
New York, Monday, April 8, 1963

New Look Continental League Set for Play

The Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs will begin its third season of play later today. The league returns with a new look, having expanded from eight to ten teams and now playing 144 games instead of 84.

The defending champion New York Mets open on the road at the expansion Memphis Hound Dogs. The game looks like it will be quite the pitcher's duel. The Mets are starting defending Pitcher of the Year and Most Valuable Player Paul Toth. The Hound Dogs are starting former Cincinnati Red Joe Nuxhall.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 1.20.44 PM.png
Views: 300
Size:  174.1 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 1.21.19 PM.png
Views: 289
Size:  151.9 KB

The opener in Memphis will certainly have amazing fanfare and buzz. Owner Elvis Presley will perform a postgame concert. The Hound Dogs also signed multiple stars in the offseason, adding former MLB MVP Don Newcombe and the aforementioned Nuxhall. That would be enough buzz on its own, much less with the defending champions coming to town.

Elsewhere in the Continental League, the Atlanta Pilots open up against the Minneapolis Millers, the Dallas Texans and Toronto Maple Leafs will begin play in Toronto, the Buffalo Lakers will travel to Houston to take on the Colt .45s, and the New Orleans Alligators will travel to Denver to battle the Doves.

Injury Report

The Atlanta Pilots will be without their star hitter Jimmy Wynn, as he suffered a torn labrum in an off the field accident during the offseason. The team has not disclosed how he injured himself.
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 1.23.03 PM.png
Size:  110.8 KB
Old 04-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #48
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Personal Anecdote:

I'm going to try a slightly different posting format for the 1963 season. Instead of doing monthly recaps, I'm just going to do news stories throughout the season, probably 2-4 per month, however these news stories will be longer and more expansive and will almost always come with a standings update. It will also give more updates on MLB.

This will allow me to get through 1963 a little quicker. I have some work/cleaning up to do once the 1963 season finishes (more on that later) so I'd like to get through this season and start working on that.

Thank you for reading. If you have any suggestions or just want to drop a comment, please do
Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #49
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  StarTribune.png
Views: 266
Size:  14.2 KB
Tuesday, April 16, 1963

Milling Millers

The Minneapolis Millers lost again last night, dropping to 0-8 on the season. The 6-7 loss on the road against the Houston Colt .45s follows three losses to the Atlanta Pilots, three losses to the Memphis Hound Dogs, and a previous loss to Houston.

The rough start is semi-reminiscent of last season, when Maury Wills struggled out of the gate and the Millers record confirmed the struggles. Wills is off to yet another rough start, hitting just .235 at the top of the order.

Wills isn't getting much help behind him either, as Gus Bell and Eric Rodin are both batting under .200 while occupying spots in the middle of the order.

At 0-8, the Millers are already 7 GB of the Houston Colt .45s, who lead the Western Division at 7-1. The Millers wrap up their series against the Colt .45s tonight at 7:05.

Continental League Standings

Western Division
1) Houston Colt .45s (7-1)
2) Dallas Texans (4-4)
3) Denver Doves (3-5)
4) New Orleans Alligators (3-5)
5) Minneapolis Millers (0-8)

Eastern Division

1) Atlanta Pilots (7-1)
2) Buffalo Lakers (4-4)
3) Toronto Maple Leafs (4-4)
4) New York Mets (4-4)
5) Memphis Hound Dogs (4-4)

NL Opening Day

The National League opens its season tonight. The Pittsburgh Pirates will open on the road at the St. Louis Cardinals, the defending champion San Francisco Giants will open up at the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Philadelphia Phillies will play in Cincinnati against the Reds, and the Milwaukee Braves will open at the Chicago Cubs. The American League begins play on April 22nd.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #50
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  AJC.png
Views: 264
Size:  25.0 KB
April 25, 1963

Missing McGlothlin

Atlant Pilots starting pitcher Jim McGlothlin will miss the rest of the regular season with a torn muscle in his back. Just 19-years-old, McGlothlin becomes the second Pilots youngster to be diagnosed with a season ending injury. Third baseman Jimmy Wynn suffered a torn labrum over the offseason and will also miss the entire year.

McGlothlin pitched out of the bullpen for Atlanta last year, appearing in 18 games and pitching 23.1 innings. He had a 3.09 ERA. However, this year McGlothlin was expected to be a major arm in the starting rotation.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 3.25.59 PM.png
Views: 293
Size:  171.4 KB

"Jim's got great stuff and we expected big things from him this year," Pilots skipper Shawn Tucker said. "Unfortunately for us, we won't have him for the rest of the year. We can't just sit here and mourn his loss. We have to go out and continue winning ballgames.

The Pilots got off to a hot 7-1 start, and while they have cooled off recently, they still lead the Eastern Division with a 9-7 record.

McGlothlin started three games and had an ERA of 5.09.

The Pilots return to action tonight on the road against the Memphis Hound Dogs. George Held is slated to start for Atlanta. Butch McDaniel is slated to start for Memphis. First pitch is at 7:05.

Continental League Standings

Western Division
1) Houston Colt .45s (11-6)
2) Dallas Texans (10-7)
3) Denver Doves (8-9)
4) New Orleans Alligators (6-10)
5) Minneapolis Millers (5-12)

Eastern Division

1) Atlanta Pilots (9-7)
2) Buffalo Lakers (9-8)
3) New York Mets (9-8)
4) Memphis Hound Dogs (9-8)
5) Toronto Maple Leafs (8-9)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #51
G-Force
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskweres9 View Post
Personal Anecdote:

I'm going to try a slightly different posting format for the 1963 season. Instead of doing monthly recaps, I'm just going to do news stories throughout the season, probably 2-4 per month, however these news stories will be longer and more expansive and will almost always come with a standings update. It will also give more updates on MLB.

This will allow me to get through 1963 a little quicker. I have some work/cleaning up to do once the 1963 season finishes (more on that later) so I'd like to get through this season and start working on that.

Thank you for reading. If you have any suggestions or just want to drop a comment, please do
Better to change it than do something that doesn't feel right. Dynasties are fluid...go with what works for you!

GH

Check out my Dynasty Threads

The Alltime Hockey Association
The Alltime Baseball League
Austin James: Playing For His Life (a Vietnam-era baseball drama)
The Pastime Boxing Association
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #52
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  The Denver Post.png
Views: 240
Size:  11.9 KB
Wednesday, May 8, 1963

Doves Soar Atop Western Division

For the first time in club history, the Denver Doves are leading the division. Denver's four-game winning streak, which includes a sweep over the second place Houston Colt. 45s, has them at 17-11.

The team has excelled at home, going 12-3, while they're just 5-8 on the road.

The Doves have been bolstered by a strong pitching staff that is 2nd in the Continental League in runs allowed. Ben Johnson has been the ace of the staff, going 2-2 over 6 GS with a 1.52 ERA.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 3.01.39 PM.png
Views: 262
Size:  164.6 KB

The Doves look to stay atop the Western Division tonight as they take on the New Orleans Alligators. First pitch is at 6:05. Maxmilliam Stoll takes the mound for Denver, while Charlie Beamon takes the mound for New Orleans.

Standings

Western Division
1) Denver Doves (17-11)
2) Houston Colt .45s (16-12)
3) Dallas Texans (15-13)
4) New Orleans Alligators (10-17)
5) Minneapolis Millers (10-18)

Eastern Division
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (16-12)
2) Buffalo Lakers (16-12)
3) Memphis Hound Dogs (14-14)
4) New York Mets (13-15)
5) Atlanta Pilots (12-15)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #53
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 237
New York, Thursday, May 23, 1963

Oliva Out For Year

New York Mets star outfielder Tony Oliva will miss the rest of the year with a torn ACL. The 24-year-old is batting .324 with 3 home runs.

Oliva's injury is more bad news in what has been a frustrating season for the defending Continental League champions. The Mets are 21-21 and are 4 GB of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Eastern Division.

"Losing Tony hurts, but we can't mourn his loss forever," Mets manager Bill Perry said. "We have a title to defend. We'll miss Tony for sure, but we have to focus on winning."

The timing of Oliva's injury couldn't be worse, as the Mets welcome the division leading Maple Leafs to town tonight. Ron Mrozinksi (4-3, 3.09) will pitch for Toronto. Bill Kirk (0-5, 4.86) will go for New York. First pitch is at 8:05.

Standings Update

Eastern Division
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (25-17)
2) Buffalo Lakers (23-19)
3) New York Mets (21-21)
4) Memphis Hound Dogs (18-24)
5) Atlanta Pilots (16-25)

Western Division
1) Dallas Texans (24-18)
2) Denver Doves (24-18)
3) Houston Colt .45s (21-21)
4) New Orleans Alligators (19-22)
5) Minneapolis Millers (18-24)
Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #54
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  Houston Chronicle.png
Views: 234
Size:  18.1 KB
SATURDAY, JUNE 1, 1963 HOUSTON, TEXAS -- The Nation's Sixth City

Colt .45s Not Firing

The Houston Colt .45s are on a seven game losing streak, and watched themselves fall from the top of the Western Division to fourth place and 8 GB of the leaders in the past month.

The .45s went 7-21 in May after going 15-7 in April. Their biggest problem has been the pitching staff. Fergie Jenkins (3-6, 3.50) hasn't quite lived up to expectations. John Gabler (3-5, 4.50) and Richard Sheldon (3-3, 5.33) have flat out disappointed at the bottom of the rotation.

Chris Short has been the lone bright spot for the rotation, as he has a 1.88 ERA, but he hasn't gotten very much run support and is 3-4 on the year.

Speaking of run support, the offense has actually been pretty good for Houston, especially from Jim King. King is hitting .322 with 10 HR on the year.

Especially with the expanded schedule from 84 to 144 games, the Colt .45s could still climb back into the division race, but time is beginning to run out, especially if they continue to play like they are currently.

The .45s look to end their losing streak tonight on the road against the Memphis Hound Dogs.

Standings

Western Division
1) Denver Doves (30-20)
2) Dallas Texans (29-21)
3) New Orleans Alligators (25-24)
4) Houston Colt .45s (22-28)
5) Minneapolis Millers (20-30)

Eastern Division
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (29-21)
2) Buffalo Lakers (26-24)
3) New York Mets (24-26)
4) Atlanta Pilots (22-27)
5) Memphis Hound Dogs (22-28)

Last edited by gskweres9; 04-25-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #55
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  ST LOUIS POST DISPATCH.png
Size:  42.9 KB
St. Louis, Wednesday, June 19, 1963

Busch Sounds Off
Cardinals owner upset with MLB

The owner of one of Major League Baseball's most prominent franchises made his point clear: change is needed. The owner of the Cardinals is upset with the current financial state of the league and doesn't believe the league can continue to operate as it currently stands.

"We're just burning through cash. It's bad business," Busch said.

While Busch says the franchise is struggling, he said moving the team is not an option.

"The Cardinals will not leave St. Louis. I bought this team 10 years ago to keep someone else from moving them. I'm from St. Louis and I've lived here my whole life. This team isn't moving," Busch said.

The Cardinals certainly have their fair share of problems. The team in dead last in MLB in attendance, averaging only 11,027 fans per game. The team also hasn't finished above .500 since 1957, and they are under .500 yet again in the early goings of 1963.

The team also has a ballpark problem. They've never truly had their own ballpark, having to rent Sportsman's Park from the St. Louis Browns since the 1920s. While the Browns are gone, Sportsman's still remains, and it is the home of the Cardinals.

"We definitely need a new park, but we just don't have the money to spend. We don't have money to spend on players, ballparks, anything," Busch said.

Name:  Gussie Busch.jpg
Size:  67.6 KB

National League Standings

1) Cincinnati Reds (37-18)
2) San Francisco Giants (36-24)
3) Los Angeles Dodgers (30-29)
4) St. Louis Cardinals (26-30)
5) Pittsburgh Pirates (26-31)
6) Chicago Cubs (24-31)
7) Philadelphia Phillies (24-31)
8) Milwaukee Braves (23-32)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #56
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Name:  Toronto Star.png
Views: 226
Size:  20.7 KB
Monday, July 22, 1963

Maple Leafs Running Away

With a month and a half left to play in the regular season in the Continental League of Professional Baseball Clubs, the Toronto Maple Leafs are running away with the Eastern Division.

While the Maple Leafs seven-game winning streak did come to an end after their 2-1 loss to the New York Mets last night, they still lead the Eastern Division by 15 1/2 games. At 60-37, they have the second best record in the Continental League, behind the Western Division's Dallas Texans (61-36).

The Maple Leafs are certainly a good ballclub, but they have taken advantage of a poor division. The defending champion Mets have been lost since Tony Oliva tore his ACL, and they are just 44-52 on the year, which is still somehow good enough for second place in the division. The Memphis Hound Dogs, Atlanta Pilots, and Buffalo Lakers are all 44-53.

If the Maple Leafs and Texans hold onto their division leads, it will result in a rematch of the 1961 Continental Series. The Maple Leafs went into the series as heavy favorites, but the Texans pulled out the victory.

Standings

Eastern Division
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (60-37)
2) New York Mets (44-52)
3) Memphis Hound Dogs (44-53)
4) Atlanta Pilots (44-53)
5) Buffalo Lakers (44-53)

Western Division
1) Dallas Texans (61-36)
2) New Orleans Alligators (51-45)
3) Denver Doves (48-49)
4) Houston Colt .45s (47-50)
5) Minneapolis Millers (41-56)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #57
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 274
Saturday, August 10, 1963

Maple Leafs Lose Mrozinski

The Toronto Maple Leafs have lost starting pitcher Ron Mrozinski for the season. Mrozinski left his last start after 3 IP with arm pain. He has a torn flexor tendon is his elbow and will be out for a full season.

The injury very well could mark the end of the 32-year-old's career. He has been a staple in the Maple Leafs rotation ever since the beginning of the Continental League. He made multiple starts for Toronto in the 1961 Continental Series.

So far on the year Mrozinski was 12-7 with a 3.41 ERA.

Standings

Eastern Division
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (70-45)
2) Atlanta Pilots (54-61)
3) New York Mets (53-60)
4) Buffalo Lakers (52-63)
5) Memphis Hound Dogs (50-65)

Western Division
1) Dallas Texans (71-43)
2) New Orleans Alligators (64-50)
3) Houston Colt .45s (57-58)
4) Denver Doves (52-63)
5) Minneapolis Millers (50-65)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #58
G-Force
All Star Starter

5.36 career ERA in the majors in real life. A 75 ERA+. So he's done quite nice for himself in the Continental League!

GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskweres9 View Post
Saturday, August 10, 1963

Maple Leafs Lose Mrozinski

The Toronto Maple Leafs have lost starting pitcher Ron Mrozinski for the season. Mrozinski left his last start after 3 IP with arm pain. He has a torn flexor tendon is his elbow and will be out for a full season.

The injury very well could mark the end of the 32-year-old's career. He has been a staple in the Maple Leafs rotation ever since the beginning of the Continental League. He made multiple starts for Toronto in the 1961 Continental Series.

So far on the year Mrozinski was 12-7 with a 3.41 ERA.

Standings

Eastern Division
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (70-45)
2) Atlanta Pilots (54-61)
3) New York Mets (53-60)
4) Buffalo Lakers (52-63)
5) Memphis Hound Dogs (50-65)

Western Division
1) Dallas Texans (71-43)
2) New Orleans Alligators (64-50)
3) Houston Colt .45s (57-58)
4) Denver Doves (52-63)
5) Minneapolis Millers (50-65)

Check out my Dynasty Threads

The Alltime Hockey Association
The Alltime Baseball League
Austin James: Playing For His Life (a Vietnam-era baseball drama)
The Pastime Boxing Association
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #59
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Views: 227
Friday, August 23, 1963

Maple Leafs Clinch Division

The Maple Leafs clinched the Eastern Division title after their 7-0 win over the Minneapolis Millers last night. It is the second division title in franchise history. Their first division title came two years ago during the Continental League's inaugural season.

The early clinch may lead some to believe that the Leafs can just rest on their laurels, but their manager says that isn't the case.

"We still have home field advantage to play for," Mike Parrott said.

The Dallas Texans, the current leader of the Western Division, are 78-48, just 1/2 GB of the Maple Leafs for home field advantage in the Continental Series.

The Maple Leafs surely look like they'll be a force to be reckoned with, especially after signing Del Crandall two days ago. Crandall was an eight-time MLB all-star before being released by the Milwaukee Braves earlier this month. He made his Maple Leafs debut yesterday, going 4-for-5 with 2 RBI's.

Crandall isn't the only high-profile midseason signing the Maple Leafs have made this year, as they signed former New York Yankee Yogi Berra towards the end of July. Berra is hitting .258 with 2 HR over 17 games with Toronto.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.03.53 PM.png
Views: 231
Size:  109.3 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.04.21 PM.png
Views: 240
Size:  111.5 KB
Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #60
gskweres9
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
5.36 career ERA in the majors in real life. A 75 ERA+. So he's done quite nice for himself in the Continental League!

GH
Yes. That's been one of my favorite things so far in the early goings of the Continental League. There's been so many guys that either didn't make the big leagues or didn't have much of a career in the big leagues that have had success.

My favorite of which might be Jim Baumer. Baumer had a total of 7 hits in real life in two stints in the big leagues. His first stint was with the Chicago White Sox in 1949 when he was 18. His second stint was in 1961 with the Cincinnati Reds.

In the Continental League, he has 302 hits, which is currently good for 5th in the league's history. He also has 45 home runs in the Continental League, currently tied for 10th.