Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #21
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

and the last few.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Hockey13Playa; 03-26-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #22
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Make sure to check the import adjusted financial settings so the finances evolve every year. I will send my custom one and see if you like it. I would check the import historical creation also. Uncheck use balance schedule and see if that fixes the 162 game thing. I think that might be what is messing it up,

Trevor L.
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #23
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I will admit that I started my current fictional save (my first) with a very basic and simple structure and have added little things to it as I get more comfortable with the process and the fictional universe of this save.

So some of your questions I still can't answer as you are, I sense, being more adventurous in your approach than I have been so far.

I certainly can't speak to expansion as I haven't had any of that in my league yet.

Or, well, your questions about playoffs and draft pick trading. Sorry.

But as for quite a few others here I do think that they are likely the result of settings that you may wish to play around with and modify a bit.
In my fictional league I do get several season ending injuries each season, and while they are more common for pitchers, position players are not immune. On the other hand, it does seem like AI managed teams have more players who end up playing far more games, pitching far more innings, than my guys. I'm someone who likes to use the whole bench and get my starters plenty of rest. Then again, it seems like my team tends to do better down the stretch than some of the AI run teams contending with my team for the title. Maybe I need to look at my settings and see if I can't tweak this to get AI managers to behave a bit more like me.

I'm not sure what to say about salary development. I would think having your financial settings set to align with the MLB historical year you are mirroring your league on should do the trick. But I imagine there are still some variables, like ballpark capacities, that will affect revenue and therefore might throw off average salaries a bit.

I have no inter-league play (yet) in my league, so can't speak to that.

As for inflated stats, well, it does sound like part of what you are describing is likely about players accumulating counting stats at higher rates due to higher numbers of starts/plate appearances,etc. Now if numbers are off in more serious, underlying ways then of course you can adjust league totals stats modifiers.

I've certainly seem some very good international free agents thrive in my league. Then again, I've seen the same with players drafted through the regular amateur draft, but that often takes longer. My sense, for my league anyway, is that the international free agents are few in number and the percentage of them that turn into very good big leaguers is higher. But that makes sense to me. I think they are pre-weeded out pretty well and if they don't look like they would make decent major leaguers teams wouldn't take an interest in them to begin with. The regular draft is more about playing the numbers and accepting that most won't make it but some will and you can't always tell at 18 or even 21 years old which might be which.

Not sure what to say about the numbers of relievers/closers in your drafts, particularly in the early rounds. My experience has been that different drafts have different trends. I've certainly had drafts where a large percentage of the first round draft picks were pitchers, though usually heavier on the starting pitchers. Then, other years, the number of high quality position players is greater and pitchers aren't as highly valued. My sense, in OOTP as in real life, is that pitchers are the less predictable commodity and therefore they might be drafted in higher numbers, knowing that a smaller percentage will ever prove valuable at the big league level. And they are, of course, more likely to sustain injuries that either end their careers prematurely or render them even less valuable and less likely to make it to the show. And to sustain a minor league system you need a lot more pitchers than say, firstbasemen. So if a draft is pitcher heavy that doesn't bother me- it seems to mirror real life.

Skipping over the "disband" a team question. Someone smarter and more experienced than me will have to answer that.

As for players aging gracefully (the way I like to look at it), this should certainly be something you can alter in your settings. Probably just need to play around with and test it until it feels right to you. I like players aging a bit more slowly and gradually so the settings that I use mean that there will be plenty of veterans in their late 30's (and sometimes even early 40's) who can still be productive. But that's just my preference.

Not sure what to say about the multiple MVP award winners and such. Sounds like the league might be a bit superstar heavy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but one would hope that over time that might balance out a bit. My sense is that early in a fictional universe you will have some talent imbalance (but then again, such was also true of MLB in the early days) but that given time you should see variation in this over the decades. But I'm only into year 8 of my league so this is just based upon things I have read from others around here, not personal experience yet.

I am absolutely in love with my fictional universe, simple and vanilla as it might be. I hope you feel the same way about yours once you are fully up and running with it.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #24
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Interleague play is probably (I'm about 97% sure) the reason why your teams don't all play 162 games. I'd check the schedules for the teams, and I bet what you will see is teams with 3 consecutive days off in various spots in their schedule ; at least, that's how it was in 19.

I've tinkered with that so much I came to one and only conclusion : you either will have to give up the idea of interleague and then I'm pretty positive your teams will play 162 games ; or, you may need to create a brand new league using the MLB template if you want both (instead of starting with fewer number of teams and expanding over the years).

I've used the MLB template and my teams play 162 games with interleague play...that was the only way I could get it to work (although a custome schedule would work but it's more work).
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #25
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnlange View Post
Make sure to check the import adjusted financial settings so the finances evolve every year. I will send my custom one and see if you like it. I would check the import historical creation also. Uncheck use balance schedule and see if that fixes the 162 game thing. I think that might be what is messing it up,

Trevor L.
I unchecked the used balanced schedule. It fixed not only the total 162 games played issue but it also fixed the interleague (at least when I have 30 teams) so that seems to be one issue fixed, I will also consider custom schedules when I start my league "for real" for variation.

Ahh I missed the adjusted finances, I will check that. I don't see the "import historical creation" where is that? and what does it do?

I will look out for your for your custom one!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #26
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Interleague play is probably (I'm about 97% sure) the reason why your teams don't all play 162 games. I'd check the schedules for the teams, and I bet what you will see is teams with 3 consecutive days off in various spots in their schedule ; at least, that's how it was in 19.

I've tinkered with that so much I came to one and only conclusion : you either will have to give up the idea of interleague and then I'm pretty positive your teams will play 162 games ; or, you may need to create a brand new league using the MLB template if you want both (instead of starting with fewer number of teams and expanding over the years).

I've used the MLB template and my teams play 162 games with interleague play...that was the only way I could get it to work (although a custome schedule would work but it's more work).

See above post, seems to be figured out
Old 03-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I will admit that I started my current fictional save (my first) with a very basic and simple structure and have added little things to it as I get more comfortable with the process and the fictional universe of this save.

So some of your questions I still can't answer as you are, I sense, being more adventurous in your approach than I have been so far.
Thank you for the detailed post, I appreciate it!!

Quote:
But as for quite a few others here I do think that they are likely the result of settings that you may wish to play around with and modify a bit.
In my fictional league I do get several season ending injuries each season, and while they are more common for pitchers, position players are not immune. On the other hand, it does seem like AI managed teams have more players who end up playing far more games, pitching far more innings, than my guys. I'm someone who likes to use the whole bench and get my starters plenty of rest. Then again, it seems like my team tends to do better down the stretch than some of the AI run teams contending with my team for the title. Maybe I need to look at my settings and see if I can't tweak this to get AI managers to behave a bit more like me.
Since its a test sim I have the injury process on, the players labeled "wrecked" and what not seem to have a lot, but players who are labeled as normal seem to play way to many games. For example many players have like 12-15 years of major league service and under their injury history over 15 seasons there are 2 injuries, heat exhaustion and flu like symptoms.. each injury just a few days. Said example player in his prime has 7 straight years with starting 150+ games. This is common I've noticed for way to many players. I do know there are "iron man types" who beat the injury bug in there career but its way to common... again I didn't touch anything, maybe I have to change my injuries to modern day realistic.

Quote:
I'm not sure what to say about salary development. I would think having your financial settings set to align with the MLB historical year you are mirroring your league on should do the trick. But I imagine there are still some variables, like ballpark capacities, that will affect revenue and therefore might throw off average salaries a bit.
Going to run a 2nd test sim but I think I got it figured out hopefully. I forgot to check a box noted by jtnlange!

Quote:
As for inflated stats, well, it does sound like part of what you are describing is likely about players accumulating counting stats at higher rates due to higher numbers of starts/plate appearances,etc. Now if numbers are off in more serious, underlying ways then of course you can adjust league totals stats modifiers.
I think the inflated stats come from the playing to many games... there are always 10 plus players with 40+ home runs, sometimes multiple with 50+... once every few years someone hits 60. There are always a bunch of players with 130+ RBI's as well... and continue on with all stats, pitchers and batters.

Quote:
I've certainly seem some very good international free agents thrive in my league. Then again, I've seen the same with players drafted through the regular amateur draft, but that often takes longer. My sense, for my league anyway, is that the international free agents are few in number and the percentage of them that turn into very good big leaguers is higher. But that makes sense to me. I think they are pre-weeded out pretty well and if they don't look like they would make decent major leaguers teams wouldn't take an interest in them to begin with. The regular draft is more about playing the numbers and accepting that most won't make it but some will and you can't always tell at 18 or even 21 years old which might be which.

Not sure what to say about the numbers of relievers/closers in your drafts, particularly in the early rounds. My experience has been that different drafts have different trends. I've certainly had drafts where a large percentage of the first round draft picks were pitchers, though usually heavier on the starting pitchers. Then, other years, the number of high quality position players is greater and pitchers aren't as highly valued. My sense, in OOTP as in real life, is that pitchers are the less predictable commodity and therefore they might be drafted in higher numbers, knowing that a smaller percentage will ever prove valuable at the big league level. And they are, of course, more likely to sustain injuries that either end their careers prematurely or render them even less valuable and less likely to make it to the show. And to sustain a minor league system you need a lot more pitchers than say, firstbasemen. So if a draft is pitcher heavy that doesn't bother me- it seems to mirror real life.
You may have misunderstood me on this section, there are usually like 10-12 international free agents and they always seem to come in and dominate the league. I think there should be some that do, but they ALL seem too. Even the 3 star ones, maybe I am too picky I don't know lol.

As for the draft it seems like its always loaded with pitchers and every year the top 10 to go are usually 8 or 9 out of 10 pitchers. But as you said with mirroring real life, I guess its not a huge deal.

On this topic... I notice every off season once free agency starts the game populates the FA pool with high talented 30 year old Asian players too who always kick ass. Maybe because I dont have feeders? Not sure why that is.

Quote:
As for players aging gracefully (the way I like to look at it), this should certainly be something you can alter in your settings. Probably just need to play around with and test it until it feels right to you. I like players aging a bit more slowly and gradually so the settings that I use mean that there will be plenty of veterans in their late 30's (and sometimes even early 40's) who can still be productive. But that's just my preference.

Not sure what to say about the multiple MVP award winners and such. Sounds like the league might be a bit superstar heavy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but one would hope that over time that might balance out a bit. My sense is that early in a fictional universe you will have some talent imbalance (but then again, such was also true of MLB in the early days) but that given time you should see variation in this over the decades. But I'm only into year 8 of my league so this is just based upon things I have read from others around here, not personal experience yet.

I am absolutely in love with my fictional universe, simple and vanilla as it might be. I hope you feel the same way about yours once you are fully up and running with it.
I am first and foremost a NHL fan, and in the NHL there has been a huge shift in younger talent from 18-30 and then players falling off hard. I may be too used to that, where in MLB players do last longer and develop a bit slower. I may tweak the age modifier though juuuuust a smidge. I recently had a guy play 20+ years and retire at 45 lol.

Yeah there are so many repeat winners of awards I noticed, year after year after year. I had one pitcher win 10 pitcher of year trophies, while cool, seems a bit drastic. Same can be said for all other awards where certain players just dominate a given award for 5-10 years/seasons.

Other than that this is my first fictional league I followed through with and I am loving it! If I can resolve my issues it'll be FANTASTIC!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:40 PM   #28
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

The check box you are looking is under Options fourth box down. Check your PM i sent you a link. Any questions just ask.

Trevor L.
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #29
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
Thank you for the detailed post, I appreciate it!!

You may have misunderstood me on this section, there are usually like 10-12 international free agents and they always seem to come in and dominate the league. I think there should be some that do, but they ALL seem too. Even the 3 star ones, maybe I am too picky I don't know lol.

As for the draft it seems like its always loaded with pitchers and every year the top 10 to go are usually 8 or 9 out of 10 pitchers. But as you said with mirroring real life, I guess its not a huge deal.

On this topic... I notice every off season once free agency starts the game populates the FA pool with high talented 30 year old Asian players too who always kick ass. Maybe because I dont have feeders? Not sure why that is.

I am first and foremost a NHL fan, and in the NHL there has been a huge shift in younger talent from 18-30 and then players falling off hard. I may be too used to that, where in MLB players do last longer and develop a bit slower. I may tweak the age modifier though juuuuust a smidge. I recently had a guy play 20+ years and retire at 45 lol.

Yeah there are so many repeat winners of awards I noticed, year after year after year. I had one pitcher win 10 pitcher of year trophies, while cool, seems a bit drastic. Same can be said for all other awards where certain players just dominate a given award for 5-10 years/seasons.

Other than that this is my first fictional league I followed through with and I am loving it! If I can resolve my issues it'll be FANTASTIC!

Hmm. I'm not sure what to say about the large numbers of international free agents who end up being dominant players in your league. Now, granted my two major leagues only consist of 10 teams each but the number of international free agents for me each season isn't very large- usually 6-10 at most. And while a few do become stars in the league, I can't say that they are really dominant in my league.

I do use just one feeder league- collegiate level. It certainly sounds like you are experiencing some things that I haven't and I can't really say why.

As for aging, the evidence increasingly shows that in the post-steroids era (whatever that might mean) major league baseball players do show significant declines in performance starting in their early 30's (at least for position players- I believe that pitchers are shown to peak later and decline later) and indications are that peak age for an MLB player is earlier than we previously thought. The truth is that the aging settings that I use are not actually that realistic, but as it is a fictional league precise realism is really not my aim. I prefer it the way I have it, but an earlier decline would actually be more true to real life.
But again, find what feels right for you. It's your game.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:19 AM   #30
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
See above post, seems to be figured out

Glad you got it figured out !
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #31
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Hey everyone,

I have received some very good help from jtnlange to help me get things rolling! What a nice guy for helping me out!

I still have a few issues however. The main ones are in relation for stats being too high! I attached some screen shots of the league leaders for my past season. In this quick sim to see how things look I started in 1980 and ended in 2018. I did not adjust any modifiers. I started the year in 1980 and checked it to update every year but comparing my stats to that of the MLB in todays era they seem way to high.

Would anyone know what could be causing this or what I should adjust to be more in line with the real life MLB?

One other minor issue, is with auto changing of jerseys/caps/logos.. for example I have this for one of my teams:

Do you know why my logos/jerseys/caps are not updating when they should? Here is an example of one team how I have the files named:

jerseys_new_mexico_suns_1990-1993
jerseys_new_mexico_suns_1994
jerseys_new_mexico_suns_1995-

however the game does not change my jersey in 1994 or 1995, instead it stays with the 1993 jersey forever
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #32
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Are the league averages also too high or are you just seeing too many outliers? If it is league wide then I'm pretty sure that can be fixed with settings. I don't remember if the frequency and severity of outliers can be adjusted
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #33
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Are the league averages also too high or are you just seeing too many outliers? If it is league wide then I'm pretty sure that can be fixed with settings. I don't remember if the frequency and severity of outliers can be adjusted
Hey Dyzalot, where would I go about looking at this? I can take a screen shot to show you.

In short, I did not change anything in relation to stats or league modifiers for stats. When I created this league from the default "create a fictional league" I used everything the game originally set up...
Old 03-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #34
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hey Dyzalot, where would I go about looking at this? I can take a screen shot to show you.

In short, I did not change anything in relation to stats or league modifiers for stats. When I created this league from the default "create a fictional league" I used everything the game originally set up...
I'm not the best person for this since I mainly play MLB quick starts and don't need to do a lot of tweaking to the settings to get close to what I want. The first thing you need to do is figure out if you are just seeing too many really good and really bad player seasons or if the numbers league wide are too high. Pretty sure somewhere in OOTP there's a place to see league wide numbers such as BA, ERA, etc. If it is league wide then there are league wide settings you can tweak to increase or decrease offense, change frequency of strikeouts, walks, hits, etc. If the league averages are reasonable but you are seeing a lot of outliers then I'm not sure what the remedy is. I think there might be a setting you can change to allow more or less variability from the league averages which would affect frequency and severity of outliers but I don't know where its at. Someone here should be able to help you with some of this. A lot of users here play fictional and spend hours and hours playing with the settings to get their fictional league just right. You might even want to do a search of the gen disc forum for OOTP19 for fictional league settings help. I would bet there is a lot of information available there that would be useful to anyone trying to set up a fictional league.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #35
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I'm not the best person for this since I mainly play MLB quick starts and don't need to do a lot of tweaking to the settings to get close to what I want. The first thing you need to do is figure out if you are just seeing too many really good and really bad player seasons or if the numbers league wide are too high. Pretty sure somewhere in OOTP there's a place to see league wide numbers such as BA, ERA, etc. If it is league wide then there are league wide settings you can tweak to increase or decrease offense, change frequency of strikeouts, walks, hits, etc. If the league averages are reasonable but you are seeing a lot of outliers then I'm not sure what the remedy is. I think there might be a setting you can change to allow more or less variability from the league averages which would affect frequency and severity of outliers but I don't know where its at. Someone here should be able to help you with some of this. A lot of users here play fictional and spend hours and hours playing with the settings to get their fictional league just right. You might even want to do a search of the gen disc forum for OOTP19 for fictional league settings help. I would bet there is a lot of information available there that would be useful to anyone trying to set up a fictional league.
Going to post this here for you or anyone who looks. I really hope someone can chime in.

I just cannot get these stats close to present day MLB. I have ran sooo many tests. I will admit I am not the best when it comes to tweaking knowledge.

I basically want my league to have stats similar to that of the present day MLB.

I have a 20 team league with normal ball park factors so that should no cause any issues. I start the league customize the settings I want (not many, most default). Under league totals I choose that of 2018 sim the season all everything is so inflated its ridiculous. Pitchers play way to many innings, batters hit way to many home runs, etc. I tweak one thing so its more on par with real life but throws something else off way to much.

So I also decided to load up a standard MLB game check out the league totals and all that and copy it to my fictional league, now everything is to low.

Why is this like this? I just want to simply produce numbers similar to present day MLB.