Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #101
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Fun fact: Both the 19 and 20 Rebels were bumped from the LDS in five.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #102
brrrdt1
Minors (Single A)

Meanwhile, for the first time ever, all three of my teams are in the LCS. My other two are totally F2P and I spend very little time trying to figure them out, just going packs only. But both are now going to get bumped up to Gold where they will be destroyed.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins are heading into the LCS and hoping for a shot at PL championship #2. Our biggest rival looked to be the Winterfell Direwolves, who have dropped us twice from the playoffs. But they got bounced in the division series.

brrrdt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #103
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

There's a lot to consider here, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Based upon my 2 year experience in the whale league, I'd say that your pitching is your biggest weakness. Aside from Young and Schilling, the rest won't do so well against those great offenses that whales have. Of course, in a short series, having 2 great SPs like you have gives you a good chance.
Ok, I will get 100 Walter, Hoyt, and Walsh as soon as I get 1.3 million points. Where's that credit card?

Seriously, I would like to add another top 5 starter. I have Tim Keefe as a fourth starter and he is doing fairly well for me. He has averaged 7.4 WAR over 10 seasons with a 2.73 ERA in 2,733 innings. I wouldn't need a fifth starter for the playoffs. So in summary, I agree with the idea but I think I only need one more starter.

Quote:
How's your defense? I'm not familiar enough with all your players to know what their ratings are like.
The defense finished middle of the pack in the conference, so decent but not superior. Team zone rating was 6th at +8.9. The team FIP was 2.94 and the team ERA was 2.74 so I don't think the defense is hurting my pitching. I struggle to see where I could improve it without giving up run differential by sacrificing offense. I already play Mays in CF for defensive purposes with DiMaggio in RF instead of JoeD in CF and Aaron in RF, and I was thinking making that change (which would make the defense worse in favor of more offense).

Quote:
How's Jackie Robinson's hitting? Appling is only slight inferior at 2B (90 or 91 maxed) and makes for a great leadoff hitter due to getting on base a lot. Even in the whale league he managed to get a .383 OBP (he's been over .400 in the 2 seasons since).
Jackie is a mediocre offensive player and no Appling, so that is certainly a good idea. I could use more people on base ahead of my sluggers. That would have the disadvantage of relaxing the defense again, but run differential is what matters.

Quote:
When you play whales, what are the results like? Meaning, are the games usually close or are there lots of blowouts or ...?
More blowouts than close games, but I also win some blowouts too. It's a mixed bag really.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #104
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons head back to the Evergreen Forest with a 2-0 lead over the Bridgeville Bucs. We defeated Pedro in the 1st game, 4-2 (Schilling won) and then we beat Seaver 9-2 (Keefe won). Ruth got a 3-run HR in the 1st game to help us win and Mays drove in 4 in the 2nd game. Appling has a .458 OBP in the playoffs so far and Keeler is hitting .579 so lots of hot bats.

One thing that helped us was the Bucs having to play 5 games in their playoff series forcing them to use their ace perfect Walter Johnson in game 5, while we swept ours leaving our ace to start game 1.

So far in the post-season, we're outscoring the opposition 33-8 and are 5-0. It's weird, we've been so lucky the past 4 post-seasons, winning the previous 3 we were in and in each case, we had to beat at least one superior team to do so. Can we get lucky again? I still think the Bucs are the better team, but fortunately for us, that doesn't matter now.

Tomorrows' game pits Sutton vs their Mathewson and then we'll have to face Johnson in game 4.

Last edited by old timer; 09-15-2019 at 05:12 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #105
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

I don't really have any idea where any particular problem lies with your team Orcin, but after playing 24 games against the Mighty Orcins last season, I think you've primarily been incredibly unlucky in the playoffs. Your team looks good to me, makes it hard to give any specific opinions on it. If anything, I'd probably dump Honus Wagner and spend that PP on a couple of other players instead.

Just my 2 cents.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #106
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Catching up on this thread...I'm not sure I do anything special. I just let him play every day (leadoff vs R, 8th vs LHP) and of course my ballpark fits his skills (1.1 for LHB AVG & gap, minimum for everything else). His batting average isn't THAT amazing (lifetime .288) but since he gets on base consistently (.350 career OBP in perfect) and plays AMAZING defense, that's where most of the value comes from.

Just checked and confirmed he is still averaging 7 WAR/162 (tops across all 3 of my teams) after 13 seasons in perfect. In terms of batting average though, he is my 3rd worst regular. It's all about the defense & walks.
I still think you are the Lenny Dykstra whisperer.

My Lenny's 162's are something like: .271/.331/.402, 7 HR, 98 wRC+, 4.0 WAR.

Maybe I overreacted a bit to his hitting .240 with bad OBP over the past couple of seasons because the two before that were pretty good. Not 7-WAR good, but still pretty scrumptious. Considering that he's only played 440 games for me and has been training in LF/RF for much of that time (or his per-162 WAR would probably be closer to 5 or 6). I should also keep in mind that my ballpark factors are more 1.05-ish than your 1.1's. Then again, I also platoon him so he never sees lefty pitchers and I'd think that nullifies some of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
INKO once again shells Roger Clemens in game 5, winning the game 7-3 and the series 3-2. Hey, at least Huntley got on the board in this series...

Gee, I wonder who the goat was? Hmm...

Game 1
R. Clemens (L, 0-1) 1.1 8 6 6 0 1 0 30 20 40.50

Game 5
R. Clemens (L, 0-2) 2.2 8 6 6 1 0 50 34 27.00

Never once in his 33 starts during the regular season did Clemens last fewer than 5 innings. Playoff baseball...
Don't rage quick sell him! Don't do it...

...instead post him 1 PP above quick sell and give him to me.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #107
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Jackie is a mediocre offensive player and no Appling, so that is certainly a good idea. I could use more people on base ahead of my sluggers. That would have the disadvantage of relaxing the defense again, but run differential is what matters.
If you are looking to add SE Luke Appling, there were no fewer than 4 copies on the AH last I checked. It also looks like the price point is steadily coming down (from ~100K to the 70s/80s). I can't vouch for the MINT-ness of any of those copies, however.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #108
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyzan View Post
If anything, I'd probably dump Honus Wagner and spend that PP on a couple of other players instead.
I can't tell you how many times I have considered this idea. In fact, he has was on the auction house last week but I didn't get the premium that I was asking and pulled him back on Monday morning.

Wagner is a frequent 20/20 player (3 in 8 years and missed a fourth by 1 HR), but he is no Rizzuto in the field. I have moved Wagner around in the infield to play Rizzuto in several seasons, and I like the defense there.

I really have to think about what I could do with those points. Thanks for reminding me of this option.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #109
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
If you are looking to add SE Luke Appling, there were no fewer than 4 copies on the AH last I checked. It also looks like the price point is steadily coming down (from ~100K to the 70s/80s). I can't vouch for the MINT-ness of any of those copies, however.
I would be happy with a used card that had training at second base though.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #110
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

It's Washington vs the San Angelo Warbirds in the finals in P436. Congrats to the Warbirds on upsetting the New Orleans Brees in 5 games. Good luck to both squads, although I think I'd rather see Washington go completely undefeated in the playoffs after a dominant 131-win season.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #111
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Bucs won 5-3 and then 5-1 at our park (after we won both at their park). Our 99 Johnson got hammered (2.2 IP 8 H 2 BB) in game 4 and our offense suddenly went silent. I was hoping for a win against Mathewson since he's their weakest SP.

In the 5th game, it was Schilling vs Pedro again and again we won 4-2 so now we're up 3-2. Just one more win and off to the WS again. But this Bucs team isn't going to go down easy. The next game pits our Keefe vs Seaver which gives us an advantage, but with their offense... We'll see. If we lose, we'll have to face 100 Johnson in the final.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #112
daves
Hall Of Famer

For the 19th straight Perfect league season the Doubledays were eliminated from the playoffs after losing in the Conference Championship series to the Crowns 4 - 1. This after another stellar 118 win season and top seeding in the conference. This team just does not match up well in the playoffs against the pitchers worth over 300k (or maybe even over 15k ).

Better luck next week. Even the Cubs were able to eventually win a series.

Last edited by daves; 09-15-2019 at 07:21 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #113
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The next game pits our Keefe vs Seaver which gives us an advantage, but with their offense... We'll see. If we lose, we'll have to face 100 Johnson in the final.

Well, that didn't go so well. Keefe lasted... Let's see, he made it... ZERO innings! Yay! So we got clobbered 8-0 and now will face perfect Johnson in the final game with Sutton going for us. Suddenly, things are looking rather bleak. But perfect Johnson's not perfect so maybe we can still do this?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #114
old timer
Hall Of Famer

After winning the WS in our last 3 post-season appearances, our luck finally ran out. The Bucs killed the Raccoons 11-0 in the final to win the LCS 4-3. Clearly, the better team won. Congratulations to the Bucs!

Last edited by old timer; 09-15-2019 at 08:35 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #115
asaintsfan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It's Washington vs the San Angelo Warbirds in the finals in P436. Congrats to the Warbirds on upsetting the New Orleans Brees in 5 games. Good luck to both squads, although I think I'd rather see Washington go completely undefeated in the playoffs after a dominant 131-win season.
yup - great job warbirds! COngrats! And they are tied with Wash 2-2 - it really is mindboggling the run they are on - 14th in the league in defense - and errors - absolutely horrible defense and yet they held the New Orleans team hardly any runs and beat 28-1 cy young - not once but twice - all you can is shake your head - and now they are trying to take the senators to the woodshed!! If they win this championship it may be the most surprising Ive seen here. And I think it would be their first! Good luck both of you but I wouldnt mind seeing the warbirds win it all. I mean cmon man - they have LOU GEHRIG playing 1B!!! .........................................Awful defense!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by asaintsfan; 09-15-2019 at 09:32 PM.
asaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #116
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Looking to pull off the upset over two 131 win teams the Warbirds finally came up short in game 7. I admit I was shopping for rings when we were up 3-2 in the series. By definition it doesn't get any closer than losing by 1 run in game 7..."but if you aint first your last"!

San Angelo Management
macacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #117
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaintsfan View Post
yup - great job warbirds! COngrats! And they are tied with Wash 2-2 - it really is mindboggling the run they are on - 14th in the league in defense - and errors - absolutely horrible defense and yet they held the New Orleans team hardly any runs and beat 28-1 cy young - not once but twice - all you can is shake your head - and now they are trying to take the senators to the woodshed!! If they win this championship it may be the most surprising Ive seen here. And I think it would be their first! Good luck both of you but I wouldnt mind seeing the warbirds win it all. I mean cmon man - they have LOU GEHRIG playing 1B!!! .........................................Awful defense!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe Cy Young had 3 losses all year (Reg and Playoffs) all to the Warbirds. Crazy!

Last edited by macacks; 09-15-2019 at 11:54 PM.
macacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #118
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Played in my first PT league this week. Iron 218 - just won the title! Had easily the best team +234 RD, next best was +107... first in runs scored and runs against.

Lost the first two games in the championship... scored only one run in each game.

Shuffled the lineup around, took 4 straight.

Is this heaven?

No.. it's meaningless fake baseball championships bay bay!
2032 & 2040 World Champion
https://baseball-stars.com/
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:11 AM   #119
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P426: Down to the Wire

The #1 seeds Mississauga Carnivores and Homestead Grays dominated on their way to a Perfect League Series showdown, and it's a true fall classic, as the Carnivores stormed out to a 3-0 lead, only to see Homestead come all the way back from the brink to tie the series. Game 7 features Homestead's Dolf Luque against Mississauga's Walter Johnson for all the marbles.
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #120
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by macacks View Post
Looking to pull off the upset over two 131 win teams the Warbirds finally came up short in game 7. I admit I was shopping for rings when we were up 3-2 in the series. By definition it doesn't get any closer than losing by 1 run in game 7..."but if you aint first your last"!

San Angelo Management
When you won game 4 by tying it with 4 runs on 2 jacks in the 9th, and then winning it in the 11th to tie the series at 2 games each, I thought you might run away with it from there.Great series!

This season was the most lucrative for the Cheaters since the entry pool. Lefty Grove going 25-0 in the regular season, then 3-0 in the postseason including WS game 7 winner, MVP Boggs, Pitcher of the year Grove, pitching triple crown Grove, Reliever of the year Clarkson, plus a couple of Great Bats. Also the most wins this team has ever had, going all the way back to iron.

Was a ridiculous, filthy season I doubt this team will see again.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote