Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

EC's North Island Recreation League

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
(Songwriters: Boris Fomin and Gene Raskin)

Listen to the song here by Mary Hopkin... it was a #1 Song produced by Paul McCartney in 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GielMXWQlbw

Ah, the good old golden days of 1950... sadly for most of us they did end... but not on the pristine white beaches of North Island, situated on the beautiful blue waters of Lake Woebegone.

North Island is a little place that time forgot and the decades cannot improve... where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking and can hit a curve ball... and all the kids are above average... it's a wonderful place to enjoy life and raise a family... and it's the home of the North Island Recreational League.

Keeler Garrison and all of his high school buddies made sure the good old days of yore would live on... baseball was their great love... they had played it together on the sandlots, playgrounds, in grammar school, junior high and high school... they went on to go to college where most of them weren't good enough to play... returning home to North Island and family and friends, they needed something to do to fill the long, hot days of summer... they decided to do it with the North Island Recreational League, the NIRL.

There are 12 small towns on the Island... Garrison proposed a recreational baseball league with one team in each town... every Sunday afternoon the oldtimers would go at it again on the diamond... each team would be composed of graduates of one of the 12 high schools... you could only play for your old high school... and no one else.. so the age-old school rivalries would be revived and revved up... there would be two leagues, the NIRL First Division and the NIRL Second Division, with six teams each and a 30-game schedule... each season at the end of play, the bottom two teams in the First Division would be demoted or relegated to the Second Divsion, while the best two teams in the Second Division would be promoted up to the First Division... First Division and Second Division teams would be determined in a double-elimination tournament prior to the first season... so the best teams are in the First Division, the worst teams are in the Second Division.

(Special thanks to Garrison Keiller and the Prairie Home Companion for some great lines that I stole from them)

And a very, very special thanks to Sizeman21 for creating this beautiful map of North Island... it's just a tad better than my original map, don't you think?
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-24-2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Capital Letters Missing
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Sorry for the graphics... I did that original map (since replaced by sizeman21's great map in the first post)... and sadly I had to do some of the logos.
The various colors used on the map are each team's colors... West Chester is Red and Black... Union Heights Orange and Black... Kofa is just Crimson... Joliet is Green and Yellow.

The guys who did the graphics for the Islandian Pro Alliance are not around on the Graphics Forum anymore.

I had to do many of my logos, jerseys and caps myself.

But there are a few quality graphics done by the talented and gifted designers... I will give them credit when I post them.

Lawn Loaf did the Kofa Kings and Theodore Bobcats... the_mad_monk did the Joliet Green Giants... low did the Union Heights Hackers, Wafford Eagles, Stockdale Mustangs, Kinston Firebirds, Jackson Jackalopes and West Chester Comets... and I did the Avalon Oldtimers, New Yerby Yankees and Dutton Coyotes... but low did the Coyotes lettering.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 10-23-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Does anybody know how to correct the thread title?

I don't know where the lower case letters came from... and it won't let me correct them... I corrected on the edit page, but when it reloads, it still has the errors in the thread title.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-18-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

North Island Recreation League

I'm pleased with the secondary logos in the NIRL... they show up pretty well on the game screens.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-20-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

North Island Recreation League Primary and Secondary Logos
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-20-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

NIBL Primary and Secondary Logos
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-19-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Kofa Kings Primary Logo is used also for the Secondary Logo.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-19-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #8
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

NIBL Primary and Secondary Logos
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

jdew did the Union Heights Image with the Batter Swinging the bat... I just used it in the creation of the logo.

The Primary and the Secondary Logo are the same for the Theodore Bobcats.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 PM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Good luck. I think you edit your post title by going advanced.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
Thank you.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
No, it wouldn't correct it even in Advanced.

I'm just stuck with it.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Didn't like the original Avalon Oldtimers and Dutton Coyotes Primary and Secondary Logos... so I worked on them and think they are better.

Where are knuckler and all the talented graphics designer when you need them... the ones that did most of my wonderful Islandian Pro Alliance Logos, Jersey and Caps.

Probably retired like me.

I must have burned them out with all my requests... and "occasional" revisions.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-20-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I need to work on the Joliet Green Giants Primary and Secondary Logos... the_mad_monk did a very creative Primary, but it doesn't have enough of contrast in the greens... when it is posted in the game, in my opinion, it is too dark... I did the Joliet J... and its just not very good.

Only trouble is I just don't have the skills to change the contrast of the Primary, nor the skill to create a good Secondary Logo.

But I'll keep looking and hoping to solve the problem.

Feel free to create new Primary Logo and Secondary Logo if you would like.

Please use Green and Yellow colors and fonts shown below... the font is called Cowboy, I think... you can use a similar font if you like.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #16
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

THE NORTH ISLAND VIEW
Sunday, January 1, 1950

OLD SCHOOLERS RETURN TO THE ISLAND DIAMONDS
The Boys of Summer are returning to North Island... a new recreational baseball league is being formed and will start play in March... games will be only on Sunday afternoon... the teams will play a 30-game schedule with the season ending in late September... the name of the new league is the North Island Recreation League (NIBL).

NIBL organizer, spokesman and league president, Keeler Garrison, told The North Island View that the players would come from each of the 12 high schools on the Island... it will be a homecoming of sorts for all the oldtimers... each town team will feature alumni from its local high school... game will be played at the local high school or township parks.

Garrison said, "It's a shame, but once you leave high school, there is no place locally to play the great American pastime, the great old game of round ball... 17 and 18 is a just a too early to be retiring from a much beloved and revered sport... most high schoolers will not have the skill level to play at college and their playing days are over much too soon... the North Island Recreation League will give all the "old baseball jocks" a chance to get back into shape and perhaps gain some friendly revenge from the old high school rivals of days gone by... and perhaps, another chance to settle old scores of yesterday... to play in the NIBL you have to play for your old alma mater... we want to make it a town thing... and promote friendly competition among the 12 townships on North Island... not only will it give guys a chance to relive the good old days of high school, it will give each town something to do on Sunday afternoon... all of the town teams are sponsored by the local civic and business associations."

Garrison facetiously added, "Of course, all the NIBL players are handsome, they can hit a curve ball, their wives and girlfriends are strong and all of them are above average on the ball fields... and they are coming to a ball park near you soon."

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Just got an unexpected gift right out of the blue today.

Sizeman21 sent me an email with this marvelous map of North Island... I think he felt sorry for my graphics skills... or lack thereof... and I'm so glad he did.

People like him make my life so good.

It's so good I must post it again here.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eugene Church; 03-22-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #18
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I hope you save these stories somewhere, I'd hate for them to all be lost to the forum doldrums someday, EC. Wish I still had the passion for writing these stories as still seem to!
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

My Life is Nifty in 1950!

Well, EC is 9 years old... lives in New Orleans... attends the fourth grade at Jefferson Davis Elementary School... lives in a two-room apartment near Pontchartrain Beach, an absolutely wonderful amusement park on the beautiful shores of Lake Pontchartrain (pronounced "Pon-cha-train").

My stepdad is Johnny Church... never knew my real dad... I was born out-of-wedlock in 1940... father was an older married man, who took advantage of my youthful mother... my father was quite a dandy... owned a honky tonk night club... was a gambler... and a bootlegger... had the police department on the payroll and in the palm of his hands... only met him 3-4 times for a brief period of time... he had three body guards and a chauffeur... and a big limousine.

But my mother would not give me away for adoption... most of the time in the 40's, the family would try to hide the shame and would send the girl to a distant relative where the baby would be born and put up for adoption... then the girl would return home and resume her life like nothing ever happened.

Thank goodness for yours truly, my Mama would not do that... she kept me and raised me and did a pretty darn good job of it... I always had the love of family even though I didn't have a father for the first 7 years of my life... but I had my Mama and that was more than good enough... Mama and Jesus took care of me.

It wasn't easy for Mama to keep me... there was a terrible stigma and shame to be illegitimate in the 40s... not like today where it is rampant and commonplace... but, at least, nowadays society has progressed somewhat to be more forgiving and more tolerant and understanding... Mama took care of me with the help of my grandparents for my first seven years, then she met Johnny Church and got married... and EC finally had a father... and a really good one... he was a chief mate on a merchant marine ship... the chief mate is the captain's right-hand man... he's also the ship's navigator... Johnny Church must have been pretty good at his job... he got his captain's license at the very young age of 27, but never took command of a ship... money was the reason... also the huge responsibility the captain has... he is responsible for the whole ship... as chief mate, he could make overtime... the captain only got straight salary... with his overtime pay, Johnny Church made more than the captains he served under... plus he didn't have the entire ship to worry about.

The bad thing about going to sea is that you are away from your family for three, four months at a time... to be with Mama and me, Johnny got a job ashore, selling automobiles at a used car lot... sadly, he wasn't as good at selling cars as he was as sailor... finances would force him back to the sea... it was feast and famine for us... he made real good money as a chief mate, but it would go quickly when he would stay at home for three months with us... so that was our life at this time... home for a while... then out to sea... home for a while... then out to sea again.

Well, enough about EC... what's going on in the year 1950?

US History

NATO is created... 12 nations agree to the defense of the United States and Europe against the Soviet Union forces.

The "Red Scare" of Senator Joe McCarthy begins in Congress... he began to persecute people for being suspected Communists... he ruined the lives of many without justification... actors and screenwriters in Hollywood were blackballed and couldn't find work because of these Senate investigations.

The terrible Korean War began.

President Truman authorizes the production of the Hydrogen Bomb.

The first Peanuts comic strip was published October 2nd.

The Diner's Club issued the first credit card ever... what a shameful day for a consumers, most of whom would go on and "charge their lives away" into debt and sometimes bankruptcy.

My philosophy: if you can't pay your credit card off at the end of the month, don't charge it... do without the thing you wanted to buy... that way you avoid the exobitant 20% interest charge... which can get into the 30% range if you get behind in your payments.

Sadly, President Truman sent military personnel to Vietnam to help the French forces... we all know what this eventually led to... remember the ill-fated "Domino Theory" in the 60s?

The transitor was invented by William Shockley of Bell Telephone.

My gosh, look what he started and what we ended up with... Facebook, Twitter, Smart Phones... and technology addiction and all sorts of social problems.

Guess who doesn't have a smart phone?... or text?... but I do have a dumb phone... just use it to make calls... never been on Facebook and never will... never tweeted, either... and would you believe it, I'm quite happy.

Popular movies:
Cinderella
Samson and Delilah
Father of the Bride
King Solomon's Mines
Annie Get Your Gun

Television is in its infancy... in 1950 there are 8 million TVs in the country... and no, EC didn't have one... it would be three more years before common folks got TV.

Cost of Living 1950
How much things cost in 1950

Average cost of new house - $8,450.00 -
Average wages per year - $3,210.00 -
Cost of a gallon of gas - 18 cents -
Average cost of a new car - $1,510.00 -
Stromburg black and white Television - $249.95 -
Ball Point Pen - 25 cents -
Samsonite suitcase - $25.00 -
Clock Radio - $59.95 -

Last edited by Eugene Church; 06-10-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #20
knuckler
Hall Of Famer

The map is beautiful.
knuckler is offline   Reply With Quote