Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
markprior22
All Star Starter

Question about coaches

I'm curious how others use coaches, specifically at the minor league level. My league is nearing the end of the seventh season and most all of my minor league coaches are terrible. I imagine it's affecting player development to some extent. Two questions...

1) How do you get good minor league personnel? I've tried at various times to look at the available coaches report but can't find anyone better than what I have or they have no interest in a minor league job. Is there a time of year or certain date when the available coaches pool has better talent available (i.e. coaches contracts ending, etc)?

2) Would I be better off not using minor league personnel at all? I don't know if not using personnel at minor league level only is even an option or if it is all or nothing at all levels.

I really don't feel like my young players develop like they should. I've tried micro managing and letting the AI hire/fire minor league coaches. Have not had any luck. If it matters, this is a modern day MLB setup with fictional players. Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by markprior22; 03-08-2019 at 10:52 PM.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

It's not coaching or management personnel, per se, but I find minor league micromanagement to be very beneficial if you know how to handle all the extra work. I wish I had a screenshot of it, but at one point in my second season of managing my current franchise I had nine of the top 10 prospects in baseball, all while winning the world series.

I did so by allowing the minor league managers to manage any and all players below a certain threshold. For me it was anyone with a potential rating lower than 35. Every single player above 35 POT, as well as my top 5 draft picks from each season I immediately set to "disable AI promotion/demotion".

That way my main investments can be managed how I want, at the pace I want, and if the managers screw up the other guys...well, they were just organizational fillers anyways.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #3
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

PS I love your screen name.

I loved Prior so much I enticed him out of retirement with a double-A pitching coach contract
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

I make sure to re-sign the good coaches about to expire throughout the year.
I have found some good coaches labeled 'unproven', they just need time.
I always look for coaches that work well with young players.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the only way to know if they are good is to turn on commissioner mode and look at their ratings.

even a 1/200 can be "legendary" reputation. so, reputation basically meaningless.

if you don't want to do that, i'd conentrate on the 'focus' of that coach.

my tips on that...

power -- don't focus on this early.. it never developes early, so you are going to take a hit on the other two compared to 'no focus' and get zero benefit from the power focus at R-Aball for sure. the ones that randomly sprout early will still be roughyl the same %.

i'd only use power at AA and AAA. even AA, i hesitate a bit, but i think enough players start developing power then.

contact and eye can be used anywhere. i've tried both setups.

eye early, contact middle, power late and
contact early eye at Aball and power late...

i really can't see a difference with my eye from all "no focus" coaches, lol.

i've also done contact in AAA, instead of power 'late'. i think i have more ratings drops in the other "2" at AAA when i select 1, but could be wrong. when i switched it up, the things i saw also seemed to switch up a bit... but these are rarer occurences to begin with compared to total effect of a focus -- if it is this)

if you have a league with alow walk rate, that makes an 'eye' focus have diminished returns. there's less stratification from top to bottom when the spectrum is narrow. so, if there's little difference between 40eye and 50eye, who cares about focusing on it?

when you pick one, it has to have a negative effect on the other two. is it equal offsetting effects averaged out over time? is there a gain of some sort by doign it? no idea. an eye cannot tell on its own.

i'd guess it's either a drop in the other two ratings, as well as maybe a slight deduction from development (as in reduced % of improvement in those other ratings, but not guarnteed failure, of course.. still a good rate)... this is relative to a coach's effect, which is a very small portion of the development pie, fwiw. (at least the incremental differences i am speaking of, andin general i'd guess that coaches are small potatoes too)

Last edited by NoOne; 03-11-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: easier to-> 'either a' in last paragraph and cleared up some symantics of last 2 paragraphs
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote