Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Penny Pinching: Extensions, Options, Agents & Arbitrations

So I've been googling all over to try and figure out strategies on how to go about managing payroll, and I figured it was time to sort fact from fiction and what is or is not still relevant in the latest version/patch of the game. Responses to any of the questions, or anything on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is there a "best" time to negotiate extensions? I've read that you get better deals when players are slumping, as well as right before spring training. True or false?

2) Is there a "best" time to negotiate extensions in terms of service time? My pre-arb players won't even bother discussing anything more than one year even when they seem content with the AAV. I get the value in buying out Arb years even if you can't get a year or two of FA as well, but if they're not willing to extent past the 6 years of team control, why pay them more than the minimum before you have to, especially when they're starting at $6.6MM vs. the $500k league minimum?

3) Can you upset Arb players the same way you can upset upcoming free agents so that they refuse to deal with you? If I mess up negotiations in a player's 4th year, can I get him happy with me again and strike a successful deal in his 5th or 6th year?

4) Can you get players/the owner to agree to long extensions with escalating salaries (for example, Goldschmidt, Rizzo, Matt Carpenter, Kluber & Sale)? I tried to extent Michael Wacha with a salary structure similar to Sale's and the AI told me that was irresponsible and that my owner wouldn't accept it (despite that we have similarly structured deal with Matt Carpenter already), but when I switched the contract to have the same value every year it was okay. So can you not make back-loaded extensions? Is it just a manager-by-manager thing? What's the cutoff? And do players ever agree to these deals anyway if they are possible?

5) Do things like incentives, buyouts of team options, no-trade clauses or player options make any difference in player willingness to sign? I always add buyouts to team options because that's just realistic, and usually add some incentives, but I mostly throw those on at the end without as much thought as to whether it actually affects the negotiation.

6) Relatedly, how often do players exercise their player options in OOTP? I'm extra curious as I've been offered both Stanton & Kershaw in trades when shopping players (not that I want their salaries, but MAN does the AI overvalue stolen bases--all they wanted in return was B. Hamilton), but do they ever opt out and try Free Agency?

7) Is the Arbitration Eligible in the Salaries Menu or player profiles accurate? I know the AI has to estimate playing time to some extent, but it's telling me that both Billy Hamilton and Kolten Wong are Arb. Eligible at the end of this season when the most service time they can have are 2 years, 28 days and 2 years 45 days respectively (seems to be accurate for all my other players).

8) Does the AI get an advantage in extending players? Jordan Zimmermann just signed a 4 yr/$44MM extension with the Nats. (having a good season 8-4, 2.74ERA) when consensus is he'll get at least a 6/7 yr $100MM+ contract in real life. Meanwhile, 1B Matt Adams who can't hit lefties at all and is only hitting righties for .264 & 8 HR (week before the AS break) wanted a 7yrs@$14.1MM AAV from me, buying out all his Arb years (currently valued at ~$4MM on the salaries screen) & 4 years of free agency...and this with him on the hot seat (Owner wants me to upgrade at 1B as a goal) nonetheless!!! I mean I know the AI needs some breaks too, otherwise the human player would just run over it, but the two events just happened back to back, which was frustrating to see.

9) How much wiggle room do you have on years? If a guy wants 7 and I only want 3-4, is that doable by upping the AAV? Conversely, if a guy wants only a 1-yr extension, do I have any shot at getting him to agree to 3 years+an option?

10) How upset do players get if taken to Arbitration? Am I at a serious disadvantage if we go to a hearing in yr 1 of Arb and I want to try negotiating an extension in yr 2?

11) Similarly, how well does OOTP's Arb process mirror real life? Do most players settle without a hearing (so long as your offer isn't a huge lowball)? Will the arbiter agree with the team more often than not?

12) Do you have any general principles you follow when making offers/counter offers in terms of $? When do you lowball, and for how much? When a player asks for MORE money than their initial demand, are you just **** out of luck?

13) Any other tips and tricks you know of in terms of negotiating with players?

Bonus #1) Who'd you rather have: Sale or Harvey (I've been offered both and would love to upgrade my #5 pitcher to a #1/#2 caliber guy)? Obviously like Harvey's contract better, but a lefty would be nice in Sale. Or Kershaw, I suppose, but that seems a bit 1) unrealistic that LA would trade him and 2) dumb, since his salary would be 25% of my entire budget.

Bonus #2) Is there any way to "insure" your players against injury, so that if they go down you can recoup a portion of their salary? I'm guessing not, but it'd be a very cool feature in the future.
BuenoWaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
IsaacR
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoWaino View Post
So I've been googling all over to try and figure out strategies on how to go about managing payroll, and I figured it was time to sort fact from fiction and what is or is not still relevant in the latest version/patch of the game. Responses to any of the questions, or anything on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

1) Is there a "best" time to negotiate extensions? I've read that you get better deals when players are slumping, as well as right before spring training. True or false?

2) Is there a "best" time to negotiate extensions in terms of service time? My pre-arb players won't even bother discussing anything more than one year even when they seem content with the AAV. I get the value in buying out Arb years even if you can't get a year or two of FA as well, but if they're not willing to extent past the 6 years of team control, why pay them more than the minimum before you have to, especially when they're starting at $6.6MM vs. the $500k league minimum?

3) Can you upset Arb players the same way you can upset upcoming free agents so that they refuse to deal with you? If I mess up negotiations in a player's 4th year, can I get him happy with me again and strike a successful deal in his 5th or 6th year?

4) Can you get players/the owner to agree to long extensions with escalating salaries (for example, Goldschmidt, Rizzo, Matt Carpenter, Kluber & Sale)? I tried to extent Michael Wacha with a salary structure similar to Sale's and the AI told me that was irresponsible and that my owner wouldn't accept it (despite that we have similarly structured deal with Matt Carpenter already), but when I switched the contract to have the same value every year it was okay. So can you not make back-loaded extensions? Is it just a manager-by-manager thing? What's the cutoff? And do players ever agree to these deals anyway if they are possible?

5) Do things like incentives, buyouts of team options, no-trade clauses or player options make any difference in player willingness to sign? I always add buyouts to team options because that's just realistic, and usually add some incentives, but I mostly throw those on at the end without as much thought as to whether it actually affects the negotiation.

6) Relatedly, how often do players exercise their player options in OOTP? I'm extra curious as I've been offered both Stanton & Kershaw in trades when shopping players (not that I want their salaries, but MAN does the AI overvalue stolen bases--all they wanted in return was B. Hamilton), but do they ever opt out and try Free Agency?

7) Is the Arbitration Eligible in the Salaries Menu or player profiles accurate? I know the AI has to estimate playing time to some extent, but it's telling me that both Billy Hamilton and Kolten Wong are Arb. Eligible at the end of this season when the most service time they can have are 2 years, 28 days and 2 years 45 days respectively (seems to be accurate for all my other players).

8) Does the AI get an advantage in extending players? Jordan Zimmermann just signed a 4 yr/$44MM extension with the Nats. (having a good season 8-4, 2.74ERA) when consensus is he'll get at least a 6/7 yr $100MM+ contract in real life. Meanwhile, 1B Matt Adams who can't hit lefties at all and is only hitting righties for .264 & 8 HR (week before the AS break) wanted a 7yrs@$14.1MM AAV from me, buying out all his Arb years (currently valued at ~$4MM on the salaries screen) & 4 years of free agency...and this with him on the hot seat (Owner wants me to upgrade at 1B as a goal) nonetheless!!! I mean I know the AI needs some breaks too, otherwise the human player would just run over it, but the two events just happened back to back, which was frustrating to see.

9) How much wiggle room do you have on years? If a guy wants 7 and I only want 3-4, is that doable by upping the AAV? Conversely, if a guy wants only a 1-yr extension, do I have any shot at getting him to agree to 3 years+an option?

10) How upset do players get if taken to Arbitration? Am I at a serious disadvantage if we go to a hearing in yr 1 of Arb and I want to try negotiating an extension in yr 2?

11) Similarly, how well does OOTP's Arb process mirror real life? Do most players settle without a hearing (so long as your offer isn't a huge lowball)? Will the arbiter agree with the team more often than not?

12) Do you have any general principles you follow when making offers/counter offers in terms of $? When do you lowball, and for how much? When a player asks for MORE money than their initial demand, are you just **** out of luck?

13) Any other tips and tricks you know of in terms of negotiating with players?

Bonus #1) Who'd you rather have: Sale or Harvey (I've been offered both and would love to upgrade my #5 pitcher to a #1/#2 caliber guy)? Obviously like Harvey's contract better, but a lefty would be nice in Sale. Or Kershaw, I suppose, but that seems a bit 1) unrealistic that LA would trade him and 2) dumb, since his salary would be 25% of my entire budget.

Bonus #2) Is there any way to "insure" your players against injury, so that if they go down you can recoup a portion of their salary? I'm guessing not, but it'd be a very cool feature in the future.

1. Not to my knowledge. I offer extensions when I feel like I can get a reasonable deal done.

2. After their first arb-eligible season should work. You have a starting point and still leverage.

3. You can upset them, but they'll eventually talk to you again. It's similar to MLB when teams and players table extension talks for the season, spring, etc.

4. You can make backloaded contracts, but not heavily backloaded.

5. Somewhat. I'll have a guy turn me down because I wouldn't give him a player option/added a team option. Buyouts and incentives have less of an effect, but they should have some I believe.

6. Just about as often as they don't. 50-50. They're more likely to if they're nearing the end of their careers, they have high loyalty (or greed and can't get as much on the open market as the option is worth), or have a high desire for winning and have played on a winning team for a while.

7. Not really. I would like to see if that can be looked at. The eventual calculation, however, is.

8. No, no, and no. You could probably get Adams for less than he's asking. Remember, the AI doesn't know Jordan Zimmerman, it knows a number in a database.

9. A fair amount of wiggle room. No defined number, but that 35 year old asking for 7 years can be signed to a 2 year deal. A guy asking for one year, however, rarely will do more than that, since he's likely looking to either retire or bounce back from a rough season/getting hung out to dry in the offseason.

10. I always go to arbitration, unless I want a long term deal. Doesn't seem to hurt morale too much, though there is a small hit. Never had a guy refuse to negotiate because I took him to arbitration a few times.

11. If you try to settle, they likely will. Haven't looked at AI controlled teams. I actually think it favors players, but it's probably even. You can't lowball an arbitration offer and win.

12. No principles to speak of. I make a fair offer. If he demands more, I tell him to enjoy the market. If he moves towards the middle, great, let's negotiate. If he makes a fair offer straight off, I have no problem saying "I agree" and meeting his demand.

13. Watch that little face showing his mood. I've gotten distracted and locked myself out of signing a guy when I lost track of that face. And don't lowball, ever. Other suggestion, for FA deals, frontloading is better.

B1. Sale. Sale. Sale. Did I mention Sale? Lefty on a good contract, he's an instant ace. If your team's pitching staff is loaded, don't make any trade. If your 5th starter would be a solid 3 on most staffs, you're just hoarding talent, which can lead to your league degrading. It's your game, play how you want, but I wouldn't suggest it.

B2. No, but I would like to see it considered as a checkbox option, left off by default.

Last edited by IsaacR; 06-22-2015 at 12:07 AM.
IsaacR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I'll definitely keep the part about hoarding pitching talent in my game. I just meant that getting Sale would allow me to seriously upgrade my staff. My rotation still wouldn't compare to a healthy Nationals one.

One last thing, how often does the AI draft guys in the Rule 5 draft? I have a LOT of eligible players and I'm not sure who I want/need to protect at the end of the year. Can I expect any guy with decent stats and more than one star to be gone?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One last thing, how often does the AI draft guys in the Rule 5 draft? I have a LOT of eligible players and I'm not sure who I want/need to protect at the end of the year. Can I expect any guy with decent stats and more than one star to be gone?

Probably, the AI teams will usually pick 5-10 players (total, not each). Maybe less in a more mature league, like MLB quickstart.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
IsaacR
Major Leagues

Quote:
AI drafts a few, mainly pitchers and catchers, with the occasional outfielder/infielder. As long as you protect any player with MLB-reserve talent or better, you should be fine. I think I've lost a total of 5 players to the rule 5 in 16.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #6
BuenoWaino
Minors (Single A)

Good to know. Thanks guys.

Also, I noticed that I can usually swap 1-for-1 MiLB players in my system who are Rule 5 eligible for a very similar player with less service time (and thus not draft eligible yet). Now I'm not going to abuse the system, but I was curious if this would change if I upped the trade difficulty (I've had it left on the default Normal so far for my first season). Like, would the AI not make those trades because it recognizes that there's a chance they could lose the guy they're trading for, or would they not make it simply because it's a 1-for-1 equal trade for essentially AA/AAA depth?

Also, not directly related, but how do I look at my monthly development reports? Aren't I supposed to be getting those every month? I don't recall seeing any yet, and I'm in early August.

Edit: Scratched that last one. Figured out the reports feature.

Last edited by BuenoWaino; 06-24-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
IsaacR
Major Leagues

Quote:
Also, I noticed that I can usually swap 1-for-1 MiLB players in my system who are Rule 5 eligible for a very similar player with less service time (and thus not draft eligible yet). Now I'm not going to abuse the system, but I was curious if this would change if I upped the trade difficulty (I've had it left on the default Normal so far for my first season). Like, would the AI not make those trades because it recognizes that there's a chance they could lose the guy they're trading for, or would they not make it simply because it's a 1-for-1 equal trade for essentially AA/AAA depth?
I don't believe the AI takes into account Rule 5 status. If they're eligible, and likely to be picked, they will put them on the 40-man.

The AI will trade Rule 5 draftees, and value them at full value. So you could possible draft a bunch of guys and trade them if you wanted to game the AI.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacR View Post
I don't believe the AI takes into account Rule 5 status. If they're eligible, and likely to be picked, they will put them on the 40-man.

The AI will trade Rule 5 draftees, and value them at full value. So you could possible draft a bunch of guys and trade them if you wanted to game the AI.
I'm not understanding what you mean by the above?

In your first comment for example, taking a R5 eligible player and putting them on the 40 man roster is taking account of R5 status.

I do the same thing. One can always question which players do and do not get protected. IMO this is one area where the AI seems very strong. Rule 5 pickings are slim to none almost every season

The second comment also confuses me. Why would the AI not fully value an asset that it was willing to give a 25 man roster spot for? OTOH I've only ever made one trade of a rare good rule 5 pick and the AI used it to get rid of a pending FA that it couldn't sign.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Super 2 status is a floating point. See this definition.

Quote:
However, the top 22 percent of each year’s class of players with between two and three years of service time that also spend at least 86 days (half a year of MLB service) on a 25-man roster or on the Major League DL are also deemed eligible and referred to as “Super Two” players. These players will be eligible for arbitration prior to reaching their third year of service and commonly go through the arbitration process four times, as opposed to the standard three.
That means a few trades or a bad ST that results in some players not accruing service time could drop the threshold enough to capture those two. See this article from MLBTR.

Projected Super Two Cutoff - MLB Trade Rumors

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
IsaacR
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'm not understanding what you mean by the above?

In your first comment for example, taking a R5 eligible player and putting them on the 40 man roster is taking account of R5 status.

I do the same thing. One can always question which players do and do not get protected. IMO this is one area where the AI seems very strong. Rule 5 pickings are slim to none almost every season

The second comment also confuses me. Why would the AI not fully value an asset that it was willing to give a 25 man roster spot for? OTOH I've only ever made one trade of a rare good rule 5 pick and the AI used it to get rid of a pending FA that it couldn't sign.
I meant not taking account of Rule 5 status in trade talks. A player with 50 potential (on 20-80) is valued the same by the AI in my experience.

Here's an example for the second one. Player X has not advanced beyond Single A, and is a 20/65 on the 20-80 scale. No team is willing to devote a 25 man spot for that guy. However, you can draft him in the 3rd round of the Rule 5 draft - well after the AI has stopped picking players. Then you shop him around, and with trading on Hard/Favor Prospects, you can find a deal for an MLB starter, and sometimes an All-Star. Then the AI will cut said player in Spring Training, sending him back to the original team.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant not taking account of Rule 5 status in trade talks. A player with 50 potential (on 20-80) is valued the same by the AI in my experience.
Sorry I must be slow today. Same as what?

Quote:
Here's an example for the second one. Player X has not advanced beyond Single A, and is a 20/65 on the 20-80 scale. No team is willing to devote a 25 man spot for that guy. However, you can draft him in the 3rd round of the Rule 5 draft - well after the AI has stopped picking players. Then you shop him around, and with trading on Hard/Favor Prospects, you can find a deal for an MLB starter, and sometimes an All-Star. Then the AI will cut said player in Spring Training, sending him back to the original team.
Your game settings may be different. AFAIK there is no third round of the rule 5 draft in my leagues. As for the trading exploit, by all means play it your way. An undeveloped prospect would not fetch an MLB starter and/or All Star for me. That's the beauty of this game!

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 06-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
IsaacR
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Sorry I must be slow today. Same as what?

Your game settings may be different. AFAIK there is no third round of the rule 5 draft in my leagues. As for the trading exploit, by all means play it your way. An undeveloped prospect would not fetch an MLB starter and/or All Star for me. That's the beauty of this game!
Same, regardless of the Rule 5 status. The AI values 22 year old player Y with 50 potential and Rule 5 status and 22 year old player Z with 50 potential and no Rule 5 status the same.

The rule 5 goes until everyone has declined to make a pick, or 10 rounds have happened. Sometimes I draft 2 guys, and that's when the third round happens.
It may because I play with 40-40-10-10 AI evaluation that I can get a starter for a prospect and backup. Which I think is good and mirrors RL to an extent.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:53 AM   #13
marc5477
Minors (Double A)

Im a finance guru... I play with a 50% house rule handicap just to make the game fair. Here is my take:

1 - Depends on the age and # of years as a pro. This is how I destroy the competition. I always sign youngsters to 10 year contracts while they are in their second year of pro play. You can get them dirt cheap and even if they falter, you can just trade them away with someone else to get rid of the contract (or use waivers). Its a bit trickier with veterans because they usually want a lot more money (even though 90% are not usually as good as youngsters).

There is a cheap way to reduce veteran demands (note I dont do this because I generally ignore veterans anyway). For veterans you *can* "force" a slump by denying them play time. This will make their stats look bad on the year and they will reduce their demands usually by the all star break. Otherwise, I would not depend on a slump because there is no guarantee that it will happen. Good performance will make their demands go up a lot. 99% of the time however, I let them go for compensation and I pick up someone else or trade away all my draft picks for a youngster (this almost always works out much better).

The key to OotP is to lock in young stars to super cheap long term contracts. OotP16 is much better than 15 in handling this but I still have to give myself a huge handicap (where in 15 I was using a 75% financial handicap).

2 - see above
3 - yes you can... but who cares? Let them go. Dont get attached.

4 - You can but there is no advantage to it really... i just use constant salaries and it makes my accounting my easier.

5 - Player option seems to make a big difference but I never use them because I dont need to... money is not a problem in this game.

6 - Depends on what they perceive they can get based on performance. If they think they can get more, they will not take the option. Otherwise, role players and such will usually exercise it.

7 - yes it has never failed me.

8 - the AI is complete retard when it comes to contract negotiation and handling finances. This is why I have to give myself a huge handicap to even things out. Note that it is much improved in 16 but I still see them paying superstar salaries for average or below players when the picking get slim near the end of the off season. I guess its desperation but its not realistic and ends up destroying the AI.

9 - depends on the age of the player. youngsters will want a huge bump if you want to get them for 10 years (but its still very cheap compared to signing them later). Vets want a long term contract and will want a pay bump for shorter contracts. I hate veterans in general so i dont deal with them unless they are still available during spring training at a 50% discount... which reminds me.

ALWAYS wait to spring training to find great deals if your league has a plethora of good players available. I noticed that 16 greatly reduced the number of good players and spring training usually has no good players left in my league. It depends on your league but if you want a big discount, spring training signings are where penny pinchers find awesome deals.

10 - who cares if they get upset? let them go.
11 - depends on their performance and whether or not they can demand more on the FA market.

12 - I ALWAYS low ball the 1st offer. I found that as long as I keep increasing the offer (usually by about 10% per offer) then the player will generally not cut off negotiations. I could care less if they get upset. They can suck it.

13 - Yes... lots.

#1 - Management is more important than anything and they are much cheaper than players so you have no excuse to not hire and retain the best. Get the best manager, HC, PC and trainer. For scouts all you really need is a good majors and amateur scout.

#2 - Relievers are mega cheap (ignore expensive closers and focus on relievers and set them to closers)... you have no excuse to not have the best bullpen in the game and they make a huuuuuge difference for pennies on the dollar.

#3 - Defense Defense Defense!!! - It comes cheap and always take a great "catcher ability" catcher. Dont skimp out on defense. Its usually better to hire an average player with great defense than a superstar with iffy defense. This will lower your starting pitcher budget by at least 50% since you no longer need superstar pitchers. You can turn most average and star pitchers into superstars if you put them in front of a great defensive team.

#4 - Eye > K > contact > gap > power. This will save you tons on batters. Speed is a waste of money because it does not seem to last and you want long term young players locked into 10 year contracts. Note that you should have 1 player with high power for clean up duties but dont go overboard on their salary. They dont need to be superstars but someone with average or slightly below average eye, K, contact but high power will be just fine.

#5 - Dont get attached to players. There are tons of great players and most average players can be super stars when played under great coaching so dont feel like you need your Griffey's or Ruth's. Managers are much more important than players.

#6 - I find the draft and international draft is a total waste of money in OotP16. The only way to make it work in this version is extreme micro-management of all your mangers in the minors which is very tedious. Trade away your draft picks for developed minor leaguers who are ready to hit the majors. This will save you millions every year on draft expenses and you get great young players every year. If you cannot trade draft picks, make sure you dont pick any of those extremely expensive guys. They are not worth it. Stick with guys that have high or above work ethic and at least average int. In all my time playing OotP16 I have only had 1 great 1st rounder actually achieve his potential into the majors (he is AAA right now). I probably wasted hundreds of millions on the draft along the way. Total waste. you are better off spending that money on players and managers.

---------------

EDIT: And of course, as soon as I brought up that star level rookie, in only his 2nd game, he got injured after getting the 1st man out in the 1st. He is out for 13 months (Tommy John) and he was 20 with normal status! LoL the draft and minor leagues are a total waste in this version. Just trade the picks away for anything and dont even bother hiring minor league managers (except AAA for the players you get in trade). Save that money.

Last edited by marc5477; 07-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.
marc5477 is offline   Reply With Quote