Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #161
whaleheader
Minors (Triple A)

I moved my league to OOTP this year. I encouraged guys to buy the Steam version because the game gets automatically updated. That choice made my life much easier.

Steam is a huge market. The more people who buy OOTP gives Markus and company more resources to improve the game.
whaleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #162
whaleheader
Minors (Triple A)

I have some guys in my online league who only want to partially manage their farm systems. If they lock a player to a farm team, is it still possible the AI might release the player if minor league managers have control?
whaleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #163
SPBJT
Minors (Double A)

Question about Live Services: If I want to follow/manage a team, say the Reds, and I wait for the first week of games to play, import the stats for week 1 and manage the Reds based on their first week of stats/ratings imported. Using a weekly schedule (it could be daily or any time period) when week 2 is played and I download the stats and play week 2, am I using : a) the YTD stats/ratings from week the whole season (weeks 1 and 2) b) Just the stats/ratings for week 2 alone (will there be this option...sort of like what Scoresheet Baseball does) or will we have the option of both? If we are only limited to the YTD stats/ratings for each download, of course it will be more variable earlier in the season, with the stats/ratings smoothing out as the year goes on. Id personally would like to have the ability to have the option of using either a time period worth of stats/ratings as well as the YTD stats/rating depending on how often you play and maybe what time frame you either start or pickup play during the season. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks!
SPBJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #164
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Glad there is a lot of focus on the AI. I know it isn't a flashy upgrade but I think it is important to a lot of buyers.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #165
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Improved AI is a big deal. The better all these games being simmed are managed, the better and more realistic the product of those sims.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #166
McGriff4Hall
Bat Boy

Especially now that Harper signed for 13 years - can we have contracts longer than 10 years be implemented?
McGriff4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #167
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

I would like to see a more realistic expansion draft. One where I can protect lets say 15 players, then every team looses 1, then I can protect 3 more for the next round, etc.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #168
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
you didn't know who mike trout was until last year? yeah you didn't just drift away, you were lost at sea! lol
Not as impossible as it sounds. MLB didn't have 1 player in top 100 known/famous athletes the last several years.

And it got beat out by swimming and other world type sports players aka cricket.

And I think the highest rated famous MLB player is Harper. Because he gets at least some media coverage.

No one outside of baseball fans knows who trout is unless your from Philly area. He gets zero media coverage.

In fact the average person couldn't even name the top 5 mlb players. Skill wise or popularity wise.

Think of the other major USA sports even non sports fan can name their top 5 famous players. Cause all media covers them from entertainment to tabloids to sports.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #169
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Not as impossible as it sounds. MLB didn't have 1 player in top 100 known/famous athletes the last several years.

And it got beat out by swimming and other world type sports players aka cricket.
Proof or it didn't happen.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #170
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post

And I think the highest rated famous MLB player is Harper. Because he gets at least some media coverage.

No one outside of baseball fans knows who trout is unless your from Philly area. He gets zero media coverage.

In fact the average person couldn't even name the top 5 mlb players. Skill wise or popularity wise.

Think of the other major USA sports even non sports fan can name their top 5 famous players. Cause all media covers them from entertainment to tabloids to sports.
yeah, some say that derek jeter is still the most famous baseball player. baseball is regional though, so its not crazy that most people outside of the players' city might not know who they are. i think aaron judge and bryce harper are both more famous than trout. trout doesnt seem to like the spotlight, so its a bit intentional on his part
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #171
Neezer
Minors (Double A)

When can we see the new 3D! Hopefully before Mar 18
Neezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #172
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Proof or it didn't happen.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tes/111166614/

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...fame-100-2018#

No MLB and no NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
yeah, some say that derek jeter is still the most famous baseball player. baseball is regional though, so its not crazy that most people outside of the players' city might not know who they are. i think aaron judge and bryce harper are both more famous than trout. trout doesnt seem to like the spotlight, so its a bit intentional on his part
Its funny Trout loves the Spotlight in Philly. Always at Eagles game, with the players, at Sixers games, again hanging with the players. Its just in LA he has ZERO personality.

He is the Tim Duncan of the MLB. Duncan probably top power forward ever and an easy top 10 player of all time. But no one ever mentions him. 2 MVPs and 5 championships and still no talk of him when he player or now post career. Because his name was never in the media.

Meanwhile Michael Jordan had this absolutely fake personality but brilliant PR campaign and became the biggest name in sports ever. I mean Jordan bet Pipen every single game on like who would win the jumbo tron big screen race of sausages or whatever they showed in chicago. It was pretty big money. Jordan cheated. He knew who was going to win prior to the game. This went on their entire career. Like how did Pippen just lose to Jordan 500+ times and never suspected. But that is how much of a crumb he was. Or that he didn't like Isiah and got him booted from Olympics. Or the countless golf stories that Barkley talks about if Jordan would lose in golf and then promptly lose his mind.

But brillant PR. Made himeself bigger than sports but also increased the NBA's profile. MLB absolutely needs to take advantage of that. They need to encourage their players to have some kind of personality.

Last edited by jimmysthebestcop; 02-28-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:44 PM   #173
Lordofbrewtown
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermercado View Post
Disagree from perspective of a historical player, I don't want to know when somebody strikes out 10 so I turn off game performance news and miss out on the rare times there's a no hitter or perfect game. Would also like more notifications for broken records (including team and individual records).

Suggestion is the same set up as Football Manager (see post from suggestion thread) that allows flexibility on what you want news about rather than all-in or all-out approach at the moment. Just seems like a forgotten aspect of the interface while everything else moves forward

Agree. With larger leagues, and low scoring era's, I don't need news articles almost every time there a shutout. Nothing special about a 10 hit 2 strikeout outing.

On the other hand, I'd like to see an article if the pitcher strikes out X batters.
Lordofbrewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #174
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Not exactly.

You can start a new game in 2019 from any given point of the year, with the current stats, standings, ratings etc. But it won't update any of that in an existing game you're already playing.
So let's say I start a season in July, does live services download the standings and rating for that day and I continue from that point and complete the season?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #175
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't mean this in a bad way, but I think the feature I am most excited about is having starters listed as backups at other positions in the depth chart.
Agreed. This is long overdue.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 AM   #176
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
So let's say I start a season in July, does live services download the standings and rating for that day and I continue from that point and complete the season?
I'm not a dev, but that is my reading of it. But you can also start at any date prior to that.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:57 AM   #177
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I would be interested into their algorithm... f.e. how does Phil Mickelson (who I only just learned exists) come up 10th with no social media following and nearly no search score?

But yeah, that list is full of Indian cricketers. Not that I want to dismiss Indian cricketers; but there are A LOT of people in India. The rankings should normalize for the country of origin of followers f.e.; how many people (as %) follow this person in his own country? Can they even watch baseball in India (in readily accesible TV; not through MLB.tv, which you have to make an effort to find and access)? Can you even watch cricket in the US?

An apples and oranges list at best, clickbait at worst.

+++

As we are on features of the game. The OOTP version that introduces randomly generated player and fan tweets during the game will be the first one I won't buy.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 AM   #178
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I would be interested into their algorithm... f.e. how does Phil Mickelson (who I only just learned exists) come up 10th with no social media following and nearly no search score?

But yeah, that list is full of Indian cricketers. Not that I want to dismiss Indian cricketers; but there are A LOT of people in India. The rankings should normalize for the country of origin of followers f.e.; how many people (as %) follow this person in his own country? Can they even watch baseball in India (in readily accesible TV; not through MLB.tv, which you have to make an effort to find and access)? Can you even watch cricket in the US?

An apples and oranges list at best, clickbait at worst.

+++

As we are on features of the game. The OOTP version that introduces randomly generated player and fan tweets during the game will be the first one I won't buy.
Well, youre from Germany. AFAIK, golf isnt that big in Germany, its soccer, basketball, hockey, and F1 racing, and tennis too. In the US here, everyone knows Phil because everyone knows Tiger. Theyre the Ronaldo and Messi of golf, the LeBron and Kobe. The same is said in Ireland, Scotland, England, or any country where golf is popular. Phil comes up despite no social media presence because he does a lot of commercials, ads, and other TV work, as well as piggybacking on the Tiger fame.

And just to clarify, im half german and all of my stepmoms family is german, so im being completely serious in that reply.

Last edited by itsmb8; 03-01-2019 at 03:36 AM.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 AM   #179
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

ESPN does publish it every year now. Not sure how long ago they started.

But take Trout if you didn't watch ESPN or national coverage of games then Even the average baseball fan won't hear his name.

Baseball is primarily local/regional tv coverage of games for many many markets.

No other media is covering baseball in America. Maybe Harper cause of free agency and huge contract will pop up in other coverage now.

Average American baseball fan basically knows just there local team. Average person even less. Now the above average person and fantasy baseball player they know more they are the ones subscribing to MLB game coverage. But they are few.

While the average person has heard of a good top 10-20 nfl, NBA, and about 5 soccer, golf even NASCAR players.

Cause there names enter the business world and entertainment worlds which covers the majority of others.

But MLB and NHL in America? Nope. None of their players get covered or talked about in non sports outlets.

While everyone knows LeBron, Durant, curry, Brady.

It's a actually pretty said for MLB and NHL. NBA has over taken MLB in popularity now. NBA moves merchandise.

MLB I don't think I've seen a baseball player in a commercial in 15 years.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:57 AM   #180
yoye
Bat Boy

Does french league will be with the new format in 2 conference ?
yoye is offline   Reply With Quote