Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Antmf
Minors (Single A)

Deciding when to replace players and a couple of rookie questions

Hey guys being somewhat new I would like to know when you guys decide when to change the lineup and when you decide to replace players on no the team? How long do you give a player before he goes? Being fairly new to the game and GM role I would like to know how you veterans handle your club?

2- What is the quckest way to fins a player? For example I have a player who is on a MiL team and need to come off of rehab assignment what is fastest way to find him? Or do i have to scroll through that minor league teams roster 1 by 1 to find him?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Antmf; 10-15-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Antmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i avoid 30+ year old players... that doesn't mean my teams are completely void of them, either. relievers can be fine a bit longer - 32-35ish starts to get scarier each year. 35+ is pure luck just about any player won't take a dump on you.

i generally trade before they get 10 years and veto power. some guys i do keep. i let random luck of whom signs and extension and who does not determine the keepers. even on those, i will try to replace before they can veto trades.

i trade for future concerns. if you don't have a cavalcade of good prospects coming, you should trade for more pressing needs, of course. if drafting low every year, shift scouting money to MiL scouting.

fallback is to let them go in FA and get a compensation pick -- again, avoiding contracts that get them too aged to use and lose a comp pick too. let bad extension demands go to FA. don't even submit an offer and don't upset them before FA. retry after demand drops. rarely is this the better option compared to trading...this is a half failure when i let this happen or th eplayer took an unexpected dump and their trade value is poop. avoid compensation picks, but sometimes it's as best you can do.

excluding irrational reasons, i am willing to get rid of a player anytime i have a suitable replacement. even if it is a slight step down.. .but not too far, of course. if i see a clump of "25" or "26" year olds, i don't wait until they are all 30-31 to make changes. i stagger it, purposefully with an eye toward future.. sometimes that mean a guy i have had in MLB for 1-2 years i am already trying to trade for their replacement from year 1. if i only get 3-5 years out of 1 of them, so be it. in fact that is the hope.. i want to replace 1 or 2 before aged 30 and that's based on the best of what i could find ~5 years ago (or now depending on how you read this).

all of that relative to pushing budget as much as possible without shooting yourself in the foot. if you get into financial troubles, it is a self-inflicted problem and 100% avoidable. be cheap in an effective way, not just for cheap sake.

--can skip this if not interested after first sentence

if you want to try to trade for future, like i mention above, start targetting the most elite prospects. if you can get 1 superstar prospect from a trade every year or 2 on average, you can easily cycle out a great team and keep it great, young, and always in the playoffs. early on you will supplement with FA instead of a prosepct initially taking place of traded vet... then before that FA is too old, trade for more prospects... until the player you are trading is replaced by a player oyu got 3-5 years ago in preperation... and the prospects you trade for or eventualyl as part of package trade for is for 3-5 years in future etc. once you get to that point, you rarely need a FA of any note beside a bench player and some cheap depth in AAA for injuries. preferable those are yet to be paid prospects or 535k league min., personally.

don't try to do it all at once.. it will trickle at first but each year you'll need fewer FA signings or placeholders of varying quality that are less likely elite. eventually the castoff prospects and current vets you trade will return more than enough superstars to to keep up with turnover rate.

again, you have to manage timing proactively. if you see three guys are coming off books in same year, trade one earier. (simplified here, since it rarely has to do with last year of conract) ... if i have 4 30 year old batters and they are all important, i'm starting to scr#$ myself in near future at a much higher probability than i care to gamble on..

between your hits from 1st round, and steady return of prospects trading before you lose a player, you should be able to amass tons of trading bait and or the "1" phenomenol player you covet each year. you can do a lot with ~10+ future HoFer quality players. not that they all will make it, but ratings and health almost a sure thing.

end skip ---------------------

2)

if you know the name type it in search.

if it is in your mil system, i have my Rosters and Transaction screen with all my MiL teams visible and 'disable dplayers' i swap in and out of a tile with other things like 'DFA'd players' or '40-man'. Some MiL systems will have too many teams... more than 9?

either way a guy on disabled list is just one of those tiles and can easily select where to drag and drop them etc.

could also use shortlists - keepers, trade away, wish list etc... let AI handle the junky players.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-16-2018 at 01:46 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
Antmf
Minors (Single A)

Thank you very much. You are so knowledgeable lol. Are you sure you're not a major league player? Lol. Thank you again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Antmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

while the contexts and such vary a bit, what i do is the same in any sports simulation game. you can do some form of this strategy in any game i've ever played.

while i definitely don't think you could do exactly what i do in real life, some concepts would really be better than the status quo.

motivations of a gm are short-term. that is not complimentary to the long-term goals of any organization. that paradigm definitely needs a shift (after using "paradigm shift" it is required to sniff your own fart and enjoy it).

a little more fiscal responsibility and an eye toward the future would benefit any team. the small market teams that consistently do well, or at least while run by a group of competent people, are forced to do it with a small budget. a bit more ebb and flow of course than a video game.

minnesota, et al.. fall apart due to "brain drain" and/or just weren't hitting on enough prospects for too many years in a row. (something that is not a shock for even the greatest baseball minds). the latter would cause people to be fired or let go etc, even if they were great at their jobs... everything about the mlb is short-term and in that way incredibly unsophisticated.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote