Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:20 AM   #101
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Stadium evolution. I'd like for stadium size to change with the eras, and maybe deal with bilking a local community out of its tax money. My billionaire boss can't afford to go around building his own stadiums, after all.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #102
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

That reminds me. One feature I've VERY much love to have is the ability to import ballparks created in eriqiaffe's excellent Web Based Ballpark Creator directly into the game. Not just the image but the name, capacity, ballpark factors... all of it. Doing it now required editing that becomes extremely tedious when you are doing 50 or 60 stadiums.

I do not pretend to know how difficult that might be to implement but I think it would be a very nice feature to have. To say nothing of how it encourages content creators like eriqiaffe whose labors have added tremendous value to the OOTP product over the years.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #103
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Umpires, have hidden ratings. Then allow human manager arguments and replay challenge.
Improved trading, have AI ask for specific players, when making a trade.
If player is used as fringe or is in minors even if great ignore negative fan reaction if moved.
On trade emails feature player coming in trade instead of player traded.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #104
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gpupp View Post
I'm always pleasantly surprised by the little changes that OOTP makes every year. One of those little changes I'd like to see next year is to be able to use the 2-8, 1-5 (etc...) scales for Overall Rating and Potential Rating.
Definitely this, but for true 20-80...when I set potential and overall to 20-80 now it gives it to me in increments of 1 instead of 5.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #105
bpbrooksy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
That reminds me. One feature I've VERY much love to have is the ability to import ballparks created in eriqiaffe's excellent Web Based Ballpark Creator directly into the game. Not just the image but the name, capacity, ballpark factors... all of it. Doing it now required editing that becomes extremely tedious when you are doing 50 or 60 stadiums.

I do not pretend to know how difficult that might be to implement but I think it would be a very nice feature to have. To say nothing of how it encourages content creators like eriqiaffe whose labors have added tremendous value to the OOTP product over the years.
That's a fantastic utility and gets my highest recommendation. I agree that it would be cool for there to be some way to streamline inputting those parks into the game.
bpbrooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #106
justafan
Hall Of Famer

An API for third party developers.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #107
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

If there are problems (legal or technical or other) to using outside utilities like the Web Based Ballpark Creator then another way to go would be to incorporate the functionality within OOTP. An OOTP stadium builder as it were. This would be a huge undertaking if we were talking about the 3D ballparks. But I'm NOT suggesting that. Just a utility that can create the 2D ballpark outlines with different dimensions and turf and infield styles to customize the appearance.

I realize the OOTP team is very proud of the 3D interface. They should be it's a big step for the franchise. But speaking for myself I don't care about it, and don't use it. For me it's a practical matter. I play fictional leagues and there will never be enough 3D models for me to give every team major, minor, and international a unique stadium. But using the Web Base Ballpark Creator I CAN do exactly that.

It is tedious and time consuming as I said earlier. Fix that. Make it easy by incorporating the utility's output or creating a new one for OOTP that has the same functionality within the game and that would make me very happy.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #108
ra24mpa
Minors (Triple A)

This probably belongs in the wishlist section, but everyone else it doing it, so...

1) Associations for MiLB - I like building up an expansion franchise, but I don't like the idea of even more teams in MLB. I'd like to have the option of having a separate, modern PCL as a major league without having to put too much time and effort into re-aligning the minor leagues/creating new minor leagues.

2) Continued improvement of the amateur draft - It's good that an undrafted player will return to school for at least one season, but I'd like to see an undrafted HS player's status now roll over into being draft-eligible out of college, and then, if the player has a certain level of intelligence (accd. to OOTP), he disappears from the draft pool until he's a college junior.

3) I have no idea what improvements have been/will be made to the historical mode, but unless we get something completely unexpected in OOTP 18 that blows us away, I'd like to have the ability to mod the draft pools (via import/export CSV files) and the ability to set the year when draft eligibility begins so we can have something similar to the modern QS while playing historical. I should be more concerned that 5-star potential Roger Salkeld stays healthy, and less hoping that TCR will do its thing. Anyway, If we had this option now, I would probably have a beta QS uploaded within a week. It would definitely be easier than creating and importing templates.

4) In historical mode before a certain date, maybe we get the option of turning off MiLB pitching/hitting coaches and using roving instructors instead.

Other than that, I'd like to thank the devs for giving us a very time-consuming, in-depth game to play. At this time of year, I should be doing something else with my time, yet I'm still playing. I have no doubt that OOTP 18 will be the greatest sports game ever. Thank you.
ra24mpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:17 AM   #109
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Franchise prestige ratings. Certain teams (the Yankees, the NBA's Lakers etc) will always be free agent draws regardless of their W-L record that year.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #110
DB930
Major Leagues

The ability to prevent personnel from entering/leaving a league, like the option we already have for players. It's immersion-breaking to see Japanese managers leaving *** for MLB, or Americans leaving MLB to go manage in communist Cuba (or, in pre-1947 segregated leagues, to have managers and coaches going back and forth between MLB and the negro leagues).
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #111
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

I just hope for better roster building and the days where all of the closers are getting 15-20 decisions a year. Half the closers in my current league have win-loss records as if they were spot starters
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #112
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Improved 3d.. would be neat to see my players with actual jerseys. More animation.. after playing so many games, I know just about every animation in the game.

Better stadiums.. team specific, make it feel like a home game.

More newspaper stuff.. maybe even a hometown paper that generates for whatever team you control.

Dynamic AI evaluation settings that change each month automatically and auto evaluate at the start of the month as GM's focus on their team as the season goes on.

In depth winter meetings with movement talk..

Preseason team recaps going over additions/subtractions and brief overview of the team for the coming season/last season.
Wish all of the Bold items would be put in.

Wish season recaps would be included, showing the ups-and-downs of the season and the whys for the ups-and-downs.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 12-24-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #113
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I just hope for better roster building and the days where all of the closers are getting 15-20 decisions a year. Half the closers in my current league have win-loss records as if they were spot starters
...But it would be also cool to see a real spring training, ability to send players to winter/fall leagues, association upgrades, international play, feeder league structure similar to FMH3.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #114
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I just hope for better roster building
I'd like for us to be able to control the number of catchers, infielders and outfielders, in the same way we can with relievers now. It annoys me that even if you have say 36 man rosters no AI team will carry more than 2 catchers.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 PM   #115
diesel230
All Star Reserve

Ive been asking for years.

For MLB players, please put some type of percentage or tie it into the manager and coach personality traits but the absurd amount foreign managers going to other countries.

The first offseason all the Legendary names get signed to Korean, Australian and independent leagues and once the MLB teams start firing personal all thats left is Dutch and Chinese manager and coaches.

Seeing Tony Larussa be a bench coach in the Peco league ruins the realism.

Also when managers get fired, often the entire coaching staff should get fired as well
diesel230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #116
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This is the exact reason I now only play with the MLB setup.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #117
stevebydac
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbrewtown View Post
1) Rivalries - ability to set up about 3 per team
2) Historical records vs other teams/franchises on Team page
Great ideas. Both of the above build immersion.

1) Rivalry games get bigger crowds. There's more chance for someone getting beaned, or a brawl breaking out, causing suspensions. Rivals generally won't trade with each other. If a free agent goes to a rival, it increases morale at one club and lowers it at the other.

2) It would be great to know that your club has a 212-196 record against another club, and that you have won 9 straight against them at home. And knowing your postseason record against each club is nice too.

stevebydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #118
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel230 View Post
Ive been asking for years.

For MLB players, please put some type of percentage or tie it into the manager and coach personality traits but the absurd amount foreign managers going to other countries.

The first offseason all the Legendary names get signed to Korean, Australian and independent leagues and once the MLB teams start firing personal all thats left is Dutch and Chinese manager and coaches.

Seeing Tony Larussa be a bench coach in the Peco league ruins the realism.

Also when managers get fired, often the entire coaching staff should get fired as well
^^This!^^

I once made the mistake of adding a fictional Japanese league to an historical MLB game starting in 1980. Within two years, Billy Martin, Tommy Lasorda & Sparky Anderson were all managing teams in Japan and the Yankees, just to name one MLB franchise, had a Japanese GM and hitting coach. Even setting the Japanese league's reputation to 1 didn't seem to prevent this bizarro baseball cross pollination from occurring.

Pleeeeeeeseeee fix this.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #119
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
  1. I'd really like to be able to instruct my minor league managers to play some players a different defensive position, but not have to force start them at that position. I'm not sure if it's realistic, but I don't necessarily want to have that guy completely take over that position. Rather, I'd like to mix in some starts, maybe have him come in for some reps during blowouts or whatever. I like having the AI handle lineups for the most part, but would also like some influence on how those players are handled. Influence, not total control. It would be cool to also have hard-headed managers refuse or resist those "suggestions."
  2. Yearly Draft Class Rankings, Where Are They Now, Busts/Surprises - It's lots of fun going back through yearly drafts to see how my picks turned out. It'd be nice to get a yearly newspaper article or something along those lines showing who the media experts predict won the draft.

It'd also be great to have highlighted massive drops or jumps in talent, or statistical folly/success surprises, relative to draft position. Is there a first-round pick who retired two years later because he can't hit the curveball? Did my opponent's 26th round pick just light the Eastern League on fire? Maybe that'd be information overload, but I wish there were a way to get some of these really intriguing stories to show up in my inbox, rather than having to go digging for them. I suspect it would help, for me, develop the world in which my fictional players play.
  3. Popularity: Anti-heroes, The Despised - It feels as though Popularity is mostly a ladder; as a player's stats increase and team wins, his Popularity slowly increases. It might be cool to have some events trigger something akin to an anti-hero, someone people love to hate. Like Barry Bonds, people come out to heckle or scream but they still come out. Maybe merchandise sales go down or stay flat, but attendance gets a slight bump?

There could also be, for whatever personality or event-based reasons, players who produce huge numbers but shun or miss the spotlight, making them local royalty but completely insignificant on the national stage.

I really enjoy the parts of OOTP that either flesh out the surrounding world and characters for me, or whose mechanics allow me to imagine stories that explain the strange or abnormal.
  4. Nickname Before/After Last Name - I know, this is really dumb. But I like going in and giving good or notable players in my league nicknames, and Sam "Before Zod" Neal doesn't sound nearly as good as Sam Neal "Before Zod". A number of the nicknames make more sense if they come after the last name, and a simple toggle to click would help. But only if it's ultra easy to pull off on the development side.

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 01-02-2017 at 02:02 PM.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #120
azepeda
Minors (Double A)

new features

Ability to go back and see an entire draft on a report with what the players started off in their ratings and where they are now. Each draft would be a separate report. For instance pull up the 2017 Astros draft when the year is 2025, it would be nice to see how well my draft went.

on filters, be able to filter out those with certain characteristics such as Very Low on Work Ethic
azepeda is offline   Reply With Quote