Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
lwlion
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Your Scout and the Draft

One thing I have learned in the short time I have played is to not trust my head scout at all with the draft.

My current scout's rep is Average, so he's not bad, but not great.

When I get to our pick, I always ask for the recommendation. Early in the draft, the recommendation is usually OK. I may differ from him in the direction I want to go, but his recommendation usually isn't for junk. BUT, he almost never recommends the two or three blue chip prospects that are one the board.

Later in the draft, starting with around the 5th or 6th round is when it gets bad. There are still some decent position players left on the board and some starting pitchers who are probably not going to be spectacular but could contribute at a major league level some day as a 4th or 5th starter. However, the scout almost always recommends a starting pitcher that he has as a potential rating as 20. If you read his scouting report, he will even say that this prospect has no shot to ever contribute at the major league level. Ok genius, then why are you recommending him here in the 5th or 6th round when some decent prospects are still around to be picked.

And, if you let the scout complete your draft after round 6 or 7, your minor league system is going to be loaded with guys that have no upside at all. Most of them are going to be rated as current 20, potential 20.

I realize in later rounds, especially from the 15th round on, the pickings are going to be slim, but my point is the head scout want to start scraping the bottom of the barrel in the 5th or 6th round already.

I have not had a scout who is rated as outstanding or legendary yet, so maybe these scouts would recommend better.

If you want to build your minor league system, I feel you need to spend the time and conduct the entire draft yourself. You have to trust the scout's ratings on the players, but make the picks yourself.

As a side note, I have not set the game where my Assistant GM is in charge drafting and signing players. Anyone with any experience doing that?

Regards
lwlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I went through my first draft last night and had not trouble manually doing the whole thing. Start with best player available, then I just kind of rotated through positions. Sorted by potential and just scrolled down until I saw a guy with some kind of MLB potential. Of course there's less in the later rounds, but I could still find guys with at least one potential MLB skill.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
mark1529
Minors (Single A)

ive said the same thing before never ever trust the head scout.....i draft by myself with little in put from him
Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
frank_olaf
Minors (Double A)

I just did my first draft (only did the first 3 rounds and got frustrated with it, so auto completed it) and had serious issues with consistency between my head scouts potential ratings for players and the OSA ratings.

On some occasions, my scout would the player's potential was 5 stars but OSA said 0.5 stars (or vice versa). There was often a big discrepancy between the two.

Would there be a lower discrepancy if I had a better scout? Can I trust the OSA ratings?

Also, @ olivertheorem, when you say you look for someone with MLB potential or at least one potential MLB skill, what are you looking for? (I'm very new to this game so not fully up to speed on what to look for in a prospect).

Thanks.
frank_olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_olaf View Post
I just did my first draft (only did the first 3 rounds and got frustrated with it, so auto completed it) and had serious issues with consistency between my head scouts potential ratings for players and the OSA ratings.

On some occasions, my scout would the player's potential was 5 stars but OSA said 0.5 stars (or vice versa). There was often a big discrepancy between the two.

Would there be a lower discrepancy if I had a better scout? Can I trust the OSA ratings?

Also, @ olivertheorem, when you say you look for someone with MLB potential or at least one potential MLB skill, what are you looking for? (I'm very new to this game so not fully up to speed on what to look for in a prospect).

Thanks.
The potential rating in this game aren't static. There is a chance that a player with 3 (2-8 scale) contact potential can become a 5 contact guy once he's older.

As for MLB skills, in later rounds its a good idea to look for players with natural abilities like speed and skills in defense like arm strength, etc.

In later rounds you aren't going to find players who are good at multiple things so its a good idea to choose players who are good at one thing with the hopes that he develops past his original potential ratings in other skills like hitting.

in summary, in later rounds draft for defense and athleticism. Also consider a player's personality.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-13-2015 at 08:49 AM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

From my personal experience I think the scouts are better in the later rounds (unless he has a really high scout amateur rating). At least my scout is better in the later rounds then I am. He found a guy in the 19th round of a 27 round inaugural draft who turned into a perennial all-star and MVP. It was a guy I wouldn't even have looked at.

Early rounds though and small drafts they seem to be all over the place even when top tier players are still on the board.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Also keep in mine that the scout is not going to draft best player available and will take organization depth into consideration.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
awick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlion View Post
One thing I have learned in the short time I have played is to not trust my head scout at all with the draft.

My current scout's rep is Average, so he's not bad, but not great.

Regards
Just thought I'd point out that an "average" scout is actually not very good. He's a 5 on a scale of 1-10, with only those rated fair, poor, inexperienced, and unproven rated below him. That said, you can do a better job picking prospects than even a legendary scout.
awick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Along the same lines as SirMichaelJordan, I'm looking for guys with potential skills that would play at the MLB level. For example, there's a couple guys I picked up with serious HR power potential and good core fielding ratings, but they need some random talent boosts to truly be MLB-caliber. I just pick a position with the batting/pitching potential views and and start scrolling until somebody sticks out due to yellow or green.

Though, I did draft a couple guys with absolutely no bat just because they were 80-rated at catcher and shortstop, just to have guys who could stick around in the minors and play defense if nothing else. Got to have org depth guys too!
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote