Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #1
Curveball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Question Playing as Manager - Promotion to GM possible?

Hi folks,

I just started a game yesterday after purchasing OOTP16 and started unemployed. When selecting the mode I selected "GM and manager", so I went for both.
I then applied as manager at the Braves Rookie-Level team. The first season went quite well and I got promoted to the A-team, but was directly promoted again to the AA-team (Mississippi Braves). Still as manager, as there are no options to play as GM in a minor league.
The second season was quite good as well, with me winning the playoffs. So I was promoted to the AAA-team afterwards. This is not so easy anymore But I enjoy the Up's and Down's.

When I check the available job options screen, it says that my play mode is "Manager", and not the previously selected both.
So my question is: If I perform good, there might be a chance to get promoted to manager in the MLB, but is there a chance that I will get an offer to act as GM? (The original GM has been replaced already... With an "unproven" guy) Or do I have to quit my job to change the playing mode, as it says it can be changed when unemployed only? I do not want to switch to commissioner mode. And I don't really want to leave the Braves either...

Thanks for any answers.

Curveball

Last edited by Curveball; 03-31-2015 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo
Curveball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Interesting question. My early guess is that you would have to change the mode you are in, i.e. go from Manager to GM, would that change the ID of your "player" I'm not sure.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We're still ironing out some details with the manager-only mode. As it currently stands, we do (incorrectly) reset the mode you want to play when playing as a farm team.

What should happen (and will happen as of the next patch, if I've done the edits correctly), is that you set your play mode. So if you want to be manager+gm, you set it as manager+gm. While on the farm team, you are only a manager always, though. And when you do get promoted to the majors, you will assume the role that you want. So if you want to play GM-only, you will still be a manager in AAA, but on promotion to MLB, you would take over as the GM.

So if you're currently set to manager-only, after the next patch, if you would like to play as manager+gm, then I would simply switch to commissioner mode, change the role, and then switch out of commissioner mode. At that point, when you get promoted, you will go right into mgr+gm mode. Unfortunately we don't have another step (where you would be manager of the pro team, then get a "promotion" to GM).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Curveball
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks Matt,

good to hear that this will be updated. I have done the exact same step you suggested with another save to test what happens, and beside some offers from MLB teams disappearing there was no change.
Those offers were manager-positions, so when selecting to play manager+GM, a pure manager position at an MLB-team seems to be out of reach.
Curveball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Thanks, Matt. Question- if you're still monitoring this thread:

Similar to the OP's question, but I never want to be both GM and Manager at the same time. Is there a way, without going into commissioner mode, to be promoted from ML Mgr (Manager Only) to ML GM (GM Only)? Like, I'm doing such a great job as the field manager, that I am offered the GM position?

That is, without ever having the dual role and without having to actively delegate either set of responsibilities to the AI, can I progress from Mgr Only to GM Only?

Logo Gallery

Last edited by cavebutter; 03-31-2015 at 08:18 PM.
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
Thanks, Matt. Question- if you're still monitoring this thread:

Similar to the OP's question, but I never want to be both GM and Manager at the same time. Is there a way, without going into commissioner mode, to be promoted from ML Mgr (Manager Only) to ML GM (GM Only)? Like, I'm doing such a great job as the field manager, that I am offered the GM position?

That is, without ever having the dual role and without having to actively delegate either set of responsibilities to the AI, can I progress from Mgr Only to GM Only?
Right now, no. In the next patch, you'll be able to set your position to GM-only. You'll still be a AAA manager, but when you get a promotion, you would get promoted straight to GM.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
bigyunit
Bat Boy

If I start out in GM only mode, but unemployed, will I ever be offered an MLB GM job without experience? Or do I have to manage in the minors first?
bigyunit is offline   Reply With Quote