Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 15 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
HipolitoPichardo
Minors (Single A)

1882: Historical league expanding with 6 new franchises

Full League Name (Initials): Vintage League Baseball (VLB)
Reports URL: Home
OOTP Version: OOTP 15
Game Needed: Required
Players: Historical
# of Teams: Expanding from 8 to 14!
Sim Frequency: ~5 times a week at ~7pm ET
League Time Per Sim: 7 days
First Season: 1876
Latest Season: 1881
Special Rules & Settings: League evolution mirrors real-life history

Vintage League Baseball, a historical league that started in 1876 and is about to wrap up its sixth season, is (in accordance with real major league history) expanding for the 1882 season with the formation of the rival American Association and with it, six brand-new franchises.

We use historical modifiers -- for instance, with an 84-game schedule and most pitchers featuring stamina ratings above 100 (they were still throwing underhanded at this point!), most teams feature 2-man rotations -- but with a twist in that we have a modern roster system in place (free agency, amateur draft, 40-man rosters, etc. though with 1881 salaries and financial levels).

This is a great league to join if you're interested in learning more about the game's history, as I include real-life baseball history in league write-ups that runs parallel to the time we are simming. Ever wonder about the evolution of the catching position or why the original 1870s Cincinnati Reds were viewed as outcasts in the National League and subsequently expelled? We've discovered how that all went down in parallel to our alternate history. (In short, it was because Cincinnati's German beer-drinking fan base wasn't compatible with the Puritan team owners in place at that time in the NL!)

This is a unique opportunity to take on a club because you'll be building a franchise from its inception, replete with both an amateur and an expansion draft in the coming offseason.

The following six NEW American Association franchises are available:
  • Baltimore Orioles (will eventually become New York Yankees)
  • Cincinnati Red Stockings (will eventually become the Reds)
  • Louisville Eclipse (will eventually move cities in 1901)
  • Philadelphia Athletics (will eventually become Washington Senators and then Minnesota Twins)
  • Pittsburgh Alleghenys (will eventually become the Pirates)
  • St. Louis Brown Stockings (will eventually become the Cardinals)

Additionally, we also have one opening in the National League for an existing franchise:
  • Detroit Wolverines (will eventually become Cleveland Indians)

To date, we've been an intimate, 8-team league, and due to the niche historical setup of this OOTP online league, we're really placing an emphasis on GM candidates with an appreciation of baseball history and/or those eager to learn about it. Want to make sure this is the right league for you and that you'll enjoy all it has to offer!

If you're intrigued, please check out both our league reports and our planned league evolution, and then feel free to DM me with any questions you have (I'll also share with you a sample league update so you can get a feel for the nature of the league). If you do decide you'd like to join, please also then contact me with:

-Your name
-Your email address
-You preferences among available teams (Orioles, Reds, Eclipse, Athletics, Alleghenys, Brown Stockings, Wolverines)
-A few brief sentences explaining your general relationship to baseball, your interest in the league and any relevant information you care to share

Thanks!
HipolitoPichardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Crash Davis
Bat Boy

Interested

Hipolito, I think I sent a message to the wrong thread. Anyway, I'm very interested in joining your historical league. I'm very active in my current leagues. Also a baseball history nut. Any team will do with the Pirates or Louisville a preference. dpgalindo12@gmail.com
Time zone: Mountain
Crash Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
jasonzimmie
Minors (Double A)

hipoloto i think i sent you a pm but i'd love to join your historical league and i'd be willing to take either the Baltimore Orioles or the Philadelphia Athletics which ever is open, please let me know
jasonzimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
RayFleetwood
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Sign me up. I would like the Louisville Eclipse.
RayFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
yazfan67
Minors (Triple A)

Hi there.

Rich Green
dickgreen@yahoo.com
Alleghenys or Brown Stockings
A former radio guy who covered the Red Sox for 16 years. Have many friends that either are current or former professional ball players.
Currently beta testing OOTP 16.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Count me in.

Name: Brendan Burke
Email: bwburke94@gmail.com
Preferred teams: Wolverines... I've been picking up a lot of Detroit teams lately. If they aren't available then the next preferred teams in order are the Eclipse, Alleghenys, Orioles, and Red Stockings.
General relationship to baseball: I've been a baseball fan since 2002, and I have a good understanding of the early years of baseball. I took a History of Baseball course at UMass last year.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
HipolitoPichardo
Minors (Single A)

Thanks everyone who expressed interest! The league is now full (we have to leave two of the six expansion teams AI-controlled as they'll eventually be contracted come 1885), but if you'd like to be placing on the waiting list for consideration the next time we have an opening, please let me know via PM.

Thanks,
Nate
HipolitoPichardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
FALCOR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It's a GREAT league !
FALCOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
wdhampton
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have been really looking for a historically correct from the beginning league. I am very interested to get a franchise

Given you are full I would like to be on the waiting list and ideally claim the franchise that becomes the Red Sox, but I am open to whatever might come available

Warren Hampton

NAPBBP - Milwaukee Brewers, ABL - Seattle Sasquatch, IBL – Vermont Lake Monsters
AL – Charlotte Knights, CDL- Boston Red Sox, NOBA – Cleveland Indians
EBL – Boston Red Sox, RBL – Boston Red Sox, SGCBL - Mirkwood Sylvan

Last edited by wdhampton; 02-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.
wdhampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

If we're roughly following real life, then the current Buffalo team (Scott Kime) becomes the Red Sox, right?

(Oh, and the new owners don't have the league file yet.)
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote