Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Open Office users needed to help test historical Import creator??

With all the questions that pop up on how to import historical players in ootp and how troublesome it is to do, I've created an Open Office spreadsheet that will create the .txt file that one can use to make the process a little less painful.
It includes all the players in the master.csv and their ids.
Simply enter the players name and year in the appropriate cells and OO creates the format needed for the .txt file.
Once done, copy that data to notepad or any txt editor and save it. It's ready to use in ootp to import your historical players.

Create as many players as you'd like. The only limit is the number of players in the master.csv

Any help, comments good or bad are appreciated..
beta version is here and includes a read me file.
EDIT: Fixed a couple of minor errors, added missing bbrefids and updated the link. 1/30 12:10 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8h2jefk8r...20Importer.rar

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-30-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
FunkyBike1
Minors (Double A)

The solution: Don't use Open Office.
FunkyBike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBike1 View Post
And why do you say that...??

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-29-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
And why do you say that...??
Yeah, I'm confused at that, too.

As for the spreadsheet itself, it works like a charm. Very well done; can't see much wrong with it, though I obviously haven't tried every player.

Just as an fyi, though, the "example" for entering the player and the year would import a 53-year-old Babe Ruth. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 01-30-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Edited the first post as I fixed a couple of minor errors, added in missing bbrefids, and updated the link in the first post..
I also found that the names do not use periods, so don't add those after Initials or JR, Sr, etc.
Fixed Ivan De Jesus (The Son) he now shows correctly as Ivan De Jesus Jr
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

what am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBike1 View Post
You would prefer to pay Microsoft instead of using Open Source software that fulfills the same function?

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
what am I doing wrong?
You're entering the player's ID instead of the player's name.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
You're entering the player's ID instead of the player's name.
thanx so used to doing it the other way just typing in a name threw me off.
Attached Images

"Stay Strong"

Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
thanx so used to doing it the other way just typing in a name threw me off.
glad you got it..You can also just copy the name in the name column and paste it to the name entry field.
I also have a schedule creator that I created that works similar to this. You can do a season's schedule in just a few hours. As you fill in your matchups, OO auto creates the schedule and fills in random start times. I haven't released it to the public yet as I've got one formula that I just can't figure out how to get it to work...
The formula is basically:
IF the 4th character of a teams abbreviation (BOSA) is A then vlookup that team to get the away="" team number, else hlookup the opposing team to get the home="" team number.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Yeah, I'm confused at that, too.

As for the spreadsheet itself, it works like a charm. Very well done; can't see much wrong with it, though I obviously haven't tried every player.

Just as an fyi, though, the "example" for entering the player and the year would import a 53-year-old Babe Ruth. Not sure if that was intentional or not.
Thaks a million for trying it out..I was adding ruth to my senior's (over 50)only lg.. Actually, I forgot to remove it in the first release.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
glad you got it..You can also just copy the name in the name column and paste it to the name entry field.
I also have a schedule creator that I created that works similar to this. You can do a season's schedule in just a few hours. As you fill in your matchups, OO auto creates the schedule and fills in random start times. I haven't released it to the public yet as I've got one formula that I just can't figure out how to get it to work...
The formula is basically:
IF the 4th character of a teams abbreviation (BOSA) is A then vlookup that team to get the away="" team number, else hlookup the opposing team to get the home="" team number.
thanx. Would that scheduler be able to handle matchups between 3-4 ML's? EBL vs CBF vs EBL type of thing. Not overly concerned about that just asking. Will it be easier to schedule day vs night games? Gets really annoying making sure the Cubs play mostly home day games.

"Stay Strong"

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Bigrod, couldn't Markus integrate this kind of tool into OOTP15?
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Bigrod, couldn't Markus integrate this kind of tool into OOTP15?
You mean the historical player importer?
Don't see why not. To me it's very simple..Took me less than 15 minutes to create this.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Yes. It sure would be a time saver.
pstrickert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
thanx. Would that scheduler be able to handle matchups between 3-4 ML's? EBL vs CBF vs EBL type of thing. Not overly concerned about that just asking. Will it be easier to schedule day vs night games? Gets really annoying making sure the Cubs play mostly home day games.
it'll handle anything you put in it up to 300 or so teams as long as you follow ootp's schedule rules.
To me it's very simple to do, but has a bit of a learning curve to it..

I got volunteered to help Curt come up with a working schedule for his Iron Pigs lg. He's extremely picky on schedules. Even worse, he had an odd number of teams and that's the hardest of all schedules to make.
I made it for him...took a couple of phone calls to teach him how to use it, but once he learned, he loved it.
He was able to do his schedule in a day rather than weeks, but he had his number of games and matchups already figured out so all he had to do was enter them in. You still have to manually figure out your matchups/# of games. Div., Non Div. and interleague. OO keeps a running count of everything as well as showing the number of games vs. each other. so there's no mistake of messing that up.

I suppose I could create a simpler version that you could cut and paste in an existing schedule and then use a random formula that mixes up the matchups year to year as well as a random time generator that creates day only, night only and a mix of start times...that's an easy one. I think I could figure it so that all it would take to randomly mix things is to just hit the shift + F9 key (This recomputes formulas in OO) and it would auto rearrange everything. each time you used those keys.

Oh well, another thought for another day
Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Yes. It sure would be a time saver.
To me it would be simple, but I gave up on coding after dos died so I've no clue about ootp's coding. If I did I'd reverse engineer it and add full audio play by play.
All ootp needs to do is build the list as you enter or select multiple names. Once your done, hit a save button and ootp creates the .txt file saved to a folder of your choice and ready for import. Once saved, you get 2 more choices. Import from that list now or exit.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #18
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

I have to say that this is pretty cool, and I've done groups of imports before several times and I can't believe I've never thought of this before. I don't have Open Office installed so I didn't test it, but using the screen shot from The Game used this method to create a spreadsheet, and even with the creation I still think it saved me time, but it is worth it going forward.

So thanks for sharing, and I think that this is a really great idea that saves quite a bit of time.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

What I basically want to do in both my MLB & EBL league in the next few seasons is have my team play a 4 game series vs each team in the o. 2020 will have 32 ML and 28 EBL teams. I plan on using 1993 MLB for 2020 EBL but would like to use interleague after that but still focus on divisions while having interleague spread throughout the season. August is extremely boring to me, gotta find a way to keep me playing a 162 games even when my team has a 20 game lead. Most GMO schedules accomplish what I want but the start times are all 705.

"Stay Strong"

Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
What I basically want to do in both my MLB & EBL league in the next few seasons is have my team play a 4 game series vs each team in the o. 2020 will have 32 ML and 28 EBL teams. I plan on using 1993 MLB for 2020 EBL but would like to use interleague after that but still focus on divisions while having interleague spread throughout the season. August is extremely boring to me, gotta find a way to keep me playing a 162 games even when my team has a 20 game lead. Most GMO schedules accomplish what I want but the start times are all 705.
Simplly load any schedule into OO and build a vlookup times table. Then use the IF formula combined with a Vlookup Ramdom # formula
that will randomly change all your start times to anything from 1PM to 8:05PM in 5 minute increments.
Your formula would look something like this.
=IF(I6="";VLOOKUP(RANDBETWEEN(1;86);$K$6:$T$91;2;0 ) ;I6)

Once you've got your new times built, clear out the old times and paste in the new times.
You could save just your vlookup time table as a template. Then when you wanted to change game times, just open your schedule in notepad copy it and paste it into OO using space as the delimeter and your game times would auto change. Copy your new schedule and paste it into notepad and save it as an lsdl file and your done.

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-31-2014 at 07:17 PM.