Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 21 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
tquigley4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Random Debut League

Hi all,

I have been trying to start a random debut historical league, but I would like to make it a fictional league. The problem I am having is with the inaugural draft, upon league creation the inaugural draft is filled with fictional players. I am wondering if there is a way to make the inaugural draft filled with historical (random debut) players.

One strategy I have thought of is to create the save with the MLB, then create a new fictional league and delete the MLB. The only problem with that is I would like my fictional league to be 10 teams, so there would be 30 teams worth of players in the draft and the teams would be filled with talent.

If you have any suggestions or solutions to my situation, anything would help.
Thanks!
tquigley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquigley4 View Post
Hi all,

I have been trying to start a random debut historical league, but I would like to make it a fictional league. The problem I am having is with the inaugural draft, upon league creation the inaugural draft is filled with fictional players. I am wondering if there is a way to make the inaugural draft filled with historical (random debut) players.

One strategy I have thought of is to create the save with the MLB, then create a new fictional league and delete the MLB. The only problem with that is I would like my fictional league to be 10 teams, so there would be 30 teams worth of players in the draft and the teams would be filled with talent.

If you have any suggestions or solutions to my situation, anything would help.
Thanks!
What year are you wanting to start in? How many teams do you want to use?

This is how I create a fictional random debut league.

First I decide how many teams I want my league to have. My current league started in 1978 with 24 teams.

To start I used the historical game wizard to create 1978 with random debut selected. I make sure to uncheck the box for automatically expand league. This is really important. If you don't uncheck that box, OOTP will undo all your changes and revert to the historical correct setting once your league reaches its first offseason.

While in the historical wizard you can use the advanced mode to relocate teams, give them new nicknames etc.

Once your league is created, you can edit your league structure and set your divisions in any way you desire. Just make sure you use a schedule that fits your setup. When I created my 1978 league I deleted California and Montreal and set the league to how it looked from 1969-1976.

One thing to keep in mind is OOTP is going to import enough random players for a 44 round draft. This is according to the actual historical setup for the year you choose to start in. So if you start in 1978, OOTP will create 1144 for your inaugural draft. If you delete two teams, the game still has the same 1144 players available. So in my case, my 24 teams picked 47 players instead of 44 in the initial draft.

You can allow the league to import historical modifiers according to each historical year or use one year as a base or several years. I've been using 1978 as my base.

When using the historical wizard you can decide whether you want to use recalc, the OOTP development engine or a combo of both. If you want it to be more random with most real players being like they were in real life, but some going off the rails, I would recommend using solely the development engine. If you like things to stay closer to history with some surprises, I would use a combo of both. I don't recommend using only recalc. If you go strictly with the player development engine, make sure you choose entire career for base player fielding ratings on and base pitcher stamina on. This way guys like Nolan Ryan and Curt Schilling won't remain relief pitchers for their entire career.

Again make sure you uncheck the box for automatically expand league.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

This is my current league. I'm still using OOTP20.

Name:  i_know_you_can_hear_me_1984-08-14_12-36-07.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  351.0 KB
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
tquigley4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What year are you wanting to start in? How many teams do you want to use?

This is how I create a fictional random debut league.

First I decide how many teams I want my league to have. My current league started in 1978 with 24 teams.

To start I used the historical game wizard to create 1978 with random debut selected. I make sure to uncheck the box for automatically expand league. This is really important. If you don't uncheck that box, OOTP will undo all your changes and revert to the historical correct setting once your league reaches its first offseason.

While in the historical wizard you can use the advanced mode to relocate teams, give them new nicknames etc.

Once your league is created, you can edit your league structure and set your divisions in any way you desire. Just make sure you use a schedule that fits your setup. When I created my 1978 league I deleted California and Montreal and set the league to how it looked from 1969-1976.

One thing to keep in mind is OOTP is going to import enough random players for a 44 round draft. This is according to the actual historical setup for the year you choose to start in. So if you start in 1978, OOTP will create 1144 for your inaugural draft. If you delete two teams, the game still has the same 1144 players available. So in my case, my 24 teams picked 47 players instead of 44 in the initial draft.

You can allow the league to import historical modifiers according to each historical year or use one year as a base or several years. I've been using 1978 as my base.

When using the historical wizard you can decide whether you want to use recalc, the OOTP development engine or a combo of both. If you want it to be more random with most real players being like they were in real life, but some going off the rails, I would recommend using solely the development engine. If you like things to stay closer to history with some surprises, I would use a combo of both. I don't recommend using only recalc. If you go strictly with the player development engine, make sure you choose entire career for base player fielding ratings on and base pitcher stamina on. This way guys like Nolan Ryan and Curt Schilling won't remain relief pitchers for their entire career.

Again make sure you uncheck the box for automatically expand league.
I am wanting to use 10 teams and be as current as possible (Using OOTP 19 so around 2018) however if it is not possible then I can start as early as needed. My worry is that with only 10 teams, I will have way too many players for the inaugural draft.

Thanks for your response!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am wanting to use 10 teams and be as current as possible (Using OOTP 19 so around 2018) however if it is not possible then I can start as early as needed. My worry is that with only 10 teams, I will have way too many players for the inaugural draft.

Thanks for your response!
The beauty of random debut is that with the inaugural draft, you will get a pool of 44 players per team, so with ten teams, your inaugural pool would have 440 players.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Also, be sure to set your inaugural draft to 44 rounds, otherwise only 270 will be drafted, and the other 170 will wind up as free agents.

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Old 04-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just figured out how to create a completely fictional random debut league that doesn't require deleting teams, nor does it require using the historical game wizard.

First thing you can do is create your fictional league using the fictional game setup wizard. If you want 10 teams, create a 10 team fictional league using whatever league alignment you desire. I would make sure there's a schedule that fits your alignment.

Once you've created your fictional league, you can go into the options menu and select the option to automatically import historical rookies and use random rookies from all eras.

Make sure to move your amateur draft to mid December for the first season. (since this is fictional, I'm guessing you may be able to move it back to in season after the first season, but I didn't test that). To start out though, set your draft to sometime in December and make sure you set it up late enough that the draft class doesn't get announced till after your leagues first post season is completely over.

Now before the season starts, go into the rules section and decide how large you want your inaugural draft to be. If you want each team to have 44 or 45 players, set the draft to 44 or 45 rounds. Also tell the game to create enough players for that many rounds.

The first season of your league will have all fictional players. Simply fast sim the league till the playoffs are over. Once they are over erase all league history and delete all free agents. As of now, your league will have zero fictional players. Proceed to the amateur draft. The draft will feature real random historical players.

The main drawback here will be all the players will be young. The plus side will be you won't end up with a 39 year old Ty Cobb or 40 year old Nolan Ryan.

This will be a 100% fictional league using real players. Oh one other thing, after your first draft, you will probably want to go in and lower the number of draft rounds and the number of players imported.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-05-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is my current league. I'm still using OOTP20.

Attachment 684805
I like my team here. Lajoie, Mattingly, Gibson, and Cuellar? Life is good in The Six.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I like my team here. Lajoie, Mattingly, Gibson, and Cuellar? Life is good in The Six.
They are currently one game away from clinching a trip to the World Series. Lajoie was hitting .400 until the last Friday of the season. Had a bad Saturday and Sunday to fall short. Dude took some time to get rolling, but has been a monster the last two years. Mattingly has exploded out of the gate. Will be interesting to see if injuries get him.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #10
tquigley4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Just figured out how to create a completely fictional random debut league that doesn't require deleting teams, nor does it require using the historical game wizard.

First thing you can do is create your fictional league using the fictional game setup wizard. If you want 10 teams, create a 10 team fictional league using whatever league alignment you desire. I would make sure there's a schedule that fits your alignment.

Once you've created your fictional league, you can go into the options menu and select the option to automatically import historical rookies and use random rookies from all eras.

Make sure to move your amateur draft to mid December for the first season. (since this is fictional, I'm guessing you may be able to move it back to in season after the first season, but I didn't test that). To start out though, set your draft to sometime in December and make sure you set it up late enough that the draft class doesn't get announced till after your leagues first post season is completely over.

Now before the season starts, go into the rules section and decide how large you want your inaugural draft to be. If you want each team to have 44 or 45 players, set the draft to 44 or 45 rounds. Also tell the game to create enough players for that many rounds.

The first season of your league will have all fictional players. Simply fast sim the league till the playoffs are over. Once they are over erase all league history and delete all free agents. As of now, your league will have zero fictional players. Proceed to the amateur draft. The draft will feature real random historical players.

The main drawback here will be all the players will be young. The plus side will be you won't end up with a 39 year old Ty Cobb or 40 year old Nolan Ryan.

This will be a 100% fictional league using real players. Oh one other thing, after your first draft, you will probably want to go in and lower the number of draft rounds and the number of players imported.
Wow, thank you so much David! I really appreciate this.

To solve the issue of having all young players, I am thinking of simming about 10 years after the initial amateur draft, deleting all league history and starting the league from there. What are your thoughts on this/will this solve the problem?

Thank you again, this really helps me out!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, thank you so much David! I really appreciate this.

To solve the issue of having all young players, I am thinking of simming about 10 years after the initial amateur draft, deleting all league history and starting the league from there. What are your thoughts on this/will this solve the problem?

Thank you again, this really helps me out!
Give it a shot. Great thing about this game is it's so easy to set up test leagues that allow you to create the perfect settings. If you get this all up and running, I hope you share some of your results. Would to see how it plays out. I play tons of random, but I've always centered my game in the historical side of things and almost always use recalc. A totally fictional random will be unique to say the least.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #12
tquigley4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks to all of the help I have received, I have made it to the inaugural season of my historical debut save.

After 1 year of fictional players, I cleared rosters and deleted all free agents (remembering to disable creation of international free agents and scouting discoveries). The amateur draft for this first season was 40 rounds, but I then lowered it to only 3 rounds each year after (because there were zero retirees). Then I simmed the next 9 seasons ahead, and one team (Austin) won 8(!) of the 9 championships, finishing the regular season in first place 7 times, led by a dominant rotation including Masahiro Tanaka, Cliff Lee, and Dave Feriss.

Now I have deleted league history, cleared rosters again, and set up a 35 man free agent draft to act as the inaugural draft. Unless I have forgotten anything, I believe I am all set to start with my first season.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
backupbatboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Thanks to all of the help I have received, I have made it to the inaugural season of my historical debut save.

After 1 year of fictional players, I cleared rosters and deleted all free agents (remembering to disable creation of international free agents and scouting discoveries). The amateur draft for this first season was 40 rounds, but I then lowered it to only 3 rounds each year after (because there were zero retirees). Then I simmed the next 9 seasons ahead, and one team (Austin) won 8(!) of the 9 championships, finishing the regular season in first place 7 times, led by a dominant rotation including Masahiro Tanaka, Cliff Lee, and Dave Feriss.

Now I have deleted league history, cleared rosters again, and set up a 35 man free agent draft to act as the inaugural draft. Unless I have forgotten anything, I believe I am all set to start with my first season.
This is really similar to a league I just started a few days ago as well. Would love to hear some results and tips for what works/what you adjust!
backupbatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:16 AM   #14
tquigley4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupbatboy View Post
This is really similar to a league I just started a few days ago as well. Would love to hear some results and tips for what works/what you adjust!
Will do! I'm still not completely sure if I will run with this league (I'm thinking this may just be my test run) but I will keep you posted! One of my biggest concerns is the age distribution and the contracts after the free agent draft (all players get 1 year deals),so it will take some time to get back to normal.

Thanks for the support though!
Old 04-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Brilliant David !! All these years and we had never tried this. You are my baseball guru for the day. Many thanks. I am also still playing OOTP 20. I like the idea of the stadium builder but like the old mod of old ballparks and so don't see any immediate need for 21. Anyone else on this?
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #16
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
ActionJackson I find with random debut that two things matter to me really in determining whether I will stick with the league or not: 1) the league itself has to feel right, it has to have some poetry to it, or art. I know that is vague, but if I feel like there is the right balance, stars, ordinary players etc. and of course some of the other details, like what cities, team names and so on are all under my own control anyway, and 2) as you note, my team.

I fidget with teams, drafting, shutting down a league after the initial draft, start a new one, until my first team feels right. it doesn't have to be great - in fact I don't want to win too soon, and the only problem with current random debut league team - Mattingly near the end of his career, Al Kaline (RIP) at age 24, Bobby Murcer in his last 4 years maybe, last two good years of Arky Vaughn at short, is that we are looking too good. Not my intention when I drafted and I love the team (the Newark Eagles) but we are starting to look like we might be first or second this season and too strong by next year. I will hold on and see. But I also hate losing every game the first season. Dumb of me I know. but I would like to muddle on with a .500 more or less team for some years as if I were a grumpy old manager in oldtime baseball trying to muddle through and then one year well down the line find that the players gel and win it.

Weird. But anyway good luck with the team, sounds good.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #17
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I tried it and it worked like a charm ! I have a 24 team league, two divisions in 1934, about to have the December 15 first-year player draft after the fictional players had their 1934 season and I erased them and the league history. Wonderful ! What a great way to get around so many little annoyances. Yes, all the players are between 18 and 22 or so but it means we basically have all their careers to play, and in any case with them all starting out at the same time it is a level playing field so to speak. Great idea. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #18
tquigley4
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quick question: I have been noticing that most of the players that enter the league from the draft are American, my question is that even in random debut leagues, does the "Amateur draft pool origin" setting matter? I have just noticed this and it would make a lot of sense as to why about 90% of my league is American.
If anybody has input on this I would appreciate it!
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2020, 11:47 PM   #19
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I tried this last night, kinda screwed it up at first, but after a few years the draft pool consisted entirely of real players across eras, so I was quite pleased. Untill Kerry Wood came into the league and racked up 577 K's in 283 IP! He also walked 114, but allowed only 120 hits, 34 of which were home runs. I've never seen anything like this...
ablobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #20
Edster007
All Star Starter

Thank you Mr. Watt. I am about to run my test league and have a couple of questions for the crowd who has been using this method.

1- I assume when I import the season I am going base my stats, I check the box automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy? I assume if I dont do that I will have guys hitting 70 homers if I am playing a 10-12 team league.

2- I think the answer to this is no: I have checked players from all eras, is there a place to set the years they pull players from? I looked around and cant find it. I prefer to cut players from somewhere 1995 on. I dont want anybody too current.

Any info appreciated in the meantime I'm going to run my first test today.
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote