Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
satchel
Hall Of Famer

The titles of games (such as OOTP) are to be italicized

When using standard English typography, the titles of video games (and computer games) are to be italicized.

In the recent mailing I received, with the email subject "Out of the Park Baseball 20 - Pre-Order Period Ends Soon!" the text of the email did not italicize the name of the game.

This is unprofessional, and those who read the email will be put off, by this non-standard presentation. As a player who loves the game, and as a former newspaper editor, I strongly urge Out of the Park Developments to apply this standard English style usage, immediately and always.

If you were to ask, "Since there is no universal standard English style, to what authority do you attribute this standard?" then my first answer would be "The foremost American authority of English style and usage: the Chicago Manual of Style."

If you were to ask for other authorities, then I would offer the MLA Style Guide (one of the two American authorities, on publishing articles, studies, and papers) and the Videogame Style Guide (relevant rule is on page 32, under "game names") a publication by the International Game Journalists Association and Games Press.

Since it is behind a paywall, I supply a screenshot of the relevant page of the online Chicago Manual of Style's section on Computer Terminology:

They all say the same thing. There is no disagreement, among the authorities: italicize the names of computer and video games.

We all know that OOTP is the best—and thus, it must have the best presentation, representation, and signification.

There is no good argument, against italicizing the name—the practice is indisputably the English standard. Please, let's correct this error.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:24 AM   #2
Ormondbeachdan
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think anyone really cares!
Ormondbeachdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I wholeheartedly agree. The impending beta release of OOTP XX must be stopped *immediately* so that this abhorrent flaw can be fixed!

I don't think I go too far by stating that an apology by OOTPD is due for subjecting us to their substandard presentation for so long!

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 03-18-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Mat
All Star Reserve

****. I have already pre-ordered.

I demand a refund!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Agreed! They also should suspend operations and work on all upcoming projects until they fix the message boards to make sure that people use correct punctuation when they enter their location (City, State) in their user profile!

I also posted an example of an incorrect format that I found on the board...and no doubt there are countless more.....
Attached Images
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
roeddog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

reread the relevant section you posted from the style manual. It clearly states "...they may be treated like movies..." clearly leaving the decision up to the writer and how they view the title eiter as an application (no italics) or movie / art form (with italics).
So, yes there is a good argument against using italics
roeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #7
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Does that mean that not only the beta of OOTPXX has to be stopped immediately, but that previous OOTP-versions retroactively have to be stopped?
That probably means we have to uninstall them and are no longer allowed to use them?

A crazy crazy world we live in, thankfully a few of us find a way through this
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Is this parody?
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
Cobbiusto
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Is this parody?
Oh no, this is deadly serious! Think of the horror! Think of the children!

We obviously have run out of things to talk about while we wait very impatiently for the new release.
Cobbiusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #10
Ormondbeachdan
Minors (Triple A)

Yes... scrap the whole thing.. I would enjoy doing all my stats by hand anyway like I did in the 60s 70s etc.. Yes I am old!..lol
Ormondbeachdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #11
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Is this parody?

Yes is parody.
I do not get the joke other than a poor attempt at one. As if anyone really cared If they were serious I don't know why they even did this. We haven't cared for 20 years at least and the original poster doesn't understand what he/or she (being PC) is saying or trying to manipulate the situation. Do not play their game and just stay out of it. and close this forum post or in if possible delete or remove this silly thread.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
CMH
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
Yes is parody.
I do not get the joke other than a poor attempt at one. As if anyone really cared If they were serious I don't know why they even did this. We haven't cared for 20 years at least and the original poster doesn't understand what he/or she (being PC) is saying or trying to manipulate the situation. Do not play their game and just stay out of it. and close this forum post or in if possible delete or remove this silly thread.
Or, you know, he's been a member of these forums for so long he remembers a time when we would have fun waiting for the game to release.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

This thread may be the best part of my day, and the game comes out in a few hours.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
mavericktango
Major Leagues

Basically, who cares about Chicago? In my copy of the Queen’s English (1890) it doesn’t say anything of the sort. In fact it doesn’t mention video games at all so any good Christian soul would automatically assume that they were not important and should not be a cause of concern
Old 03-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I would think there are tons of people from all over the world that play OOTP, so I see little reason OOTP should cater to Italians alone by Italicizing things. Just my 3 cents.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I would think there are tons of people from all over the world that play OOTP, so I see little reason OOTP should cater to Italians alone by Italicizing things. Just my 3 cents.

I'm probably the only italian who plays OOTP
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
Shake Appeal
Minors (Double A)

I work as a writer and editor, and I religiously italicize the titles of works ... and I still don't care.
Shake Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
Yarideki
Minors (Double A)

This is why the team can't hire me to do their design work because there's a non-zero chance that the email would be entirely in comic sans and the title not italicized. I mean, 0.2% is technically non-zero. I'm glad to at see some lighthearted stuff while I prepare for my work shift today. Too bad I can't afford to take some time off to play OOTP XX, but it will be there when I get back.
Yarideki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #19
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

As someone living in Italy I completely agree. These guys already stole spaghetti and meatballs from us they play baseball here too! Enough already. By the ways "tons" is for non-countable nouns and so not used for people. Check the Chicago Manual of Style . Or was it the infield fly rule? I forget.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #20
texasmame
All Star Starter

This is a bad post and you should feel bad.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote