Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #41
Athletics17
All Star Starter

And I thought I got all my drama from the Kardashians!!

Ooops! Do I have the right to use the word Kardashian!!!

Edit: On a serious note. If this is what the mod forum is coming to then it should just be shut down. I don't want to hear about moral compass when it comes to independent graphic designers, but we can make a million logo's of MLB, MiLB, NFL, NBA, ect and it is considered fine. This is all theft.

Dirtdawg-I have a quick question for you, and I don't mean this to be rude I just want to understand concept art better. Do you have implied expressed permission to use the Houston Astro's, General Motors, Washington Nationals names in your logos? Or are you commissioned by these teams to create concept art?

Last edited by Athletics17; 07-17-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Athletics17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #42
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghurst View Post
dirtdawg I did cite you for doing the work (read the first post) as for lieing about contacting you I sent you 3 emails over the course of a week and got no response if you didnt get them thats not on me and to call me a liar without proof is just wrong I posted your work because I liked it and I'm beginning to believe that you may not be who you say you are but thats not the point the work has been pulled down so that should be the end of it but if you are who I think you are then you are still a bully and pretty childish one at that and have broken community rules but as I said they are down now so you should have nothing to complain about
I know you're not implying that this poster is some alias controlled by me. If so, feel free to PM Andreas or Chris Conn and ask if the ip addresses match up. I can guarantee you the answer will be no. Otherwise, don't throw accusations around until you check it out. You only make yourself look even more silly than being called out by an artist for using his work without consent.

Last edited by Cooleyvol; 07-17-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #43
dirtdawg44
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghurst View Post
dirtdawg I did cite you for doing the work (read the first post) as for lieing about contacting you I sent you 3 emails over the course of a week and got no response if you didnt get them thats not on me and to call me a liar without proof is just wrong I posted your work because I liked it and I'm beginning to believe that you may not be who you say you are but thats not the point the work has been pulled down so that should be the end of it but if you are who I think you are then you are still a bully and pretty childish one at that and have broken community rules but as I said they are down now so you should have nothing to complain about
I'm exactly who I claim to be. I was notified via PM over on Chris' site by another member who saw it here. I came here and checked it out. I have nothing in my email linked to MLB.com from anyone regarding anything Houston Astros related, nor do I have anything on the MLB.com message boards about it. That's proof enough for me. Look, you did what I asked in a timely manner without much trouble. Show's over, I'm happy.

Like I said, I have no problems with this community. I'm a former OOTP player myself, although I only own 8. I have no problems with you guys using my stuff as long as I'm asked and given proper credit.

The main reason I asked for these to be taken down is because they aren't watermarked and are easily stolen. The more times it gets posted the more times there's a chance it gets copied and passed off as someone else's effort and not mine, this maybe losing a potential job based on previously seen work by a client.

Didn't mean to start this big of a fuss, but it's over now and txranger will be redoing the jerseys
with up to date stuff.

EDIT: To answer Athletics17's question, as a matter of fact that GM concept was part of my senior project, it was right before GM hit the stock market again. The professor did get concent. The Nationals concept was just like this Houston one, they ended up going with something really similar a year+ later. The Brocktn Rox logos were actually done for the team but they ultimately changed directions to better mimic the Red Sox. Concept art it just that, concepts. Do I hold any legal grounds over the H Star or Curley W? No, the rest of the work contained in those concepts? Yes. Team's don't usually, if ever, work with concept/fan art because of legal issues. Read into the Baltimore Ravens original logo if you're really interested.

Last edited by dirtdawg44; 07-17-2012 at 11:17 PM.
dirtdawg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #44
Athletics17
All Star Starter

Thanks for the response Dirtdawg. This has been an ongoing debate for the last couple of weeks and I asked a similar question and never got an answer for it. A lot of fan concept artists don't have proper consent to use images/organization/league names so I feel that their argument isn't valid, even if it is somewhat original. I don't want to see anybody's work stolen and see them lose potential money. I just don't like the fact that certain people work is off limits, but others are open for the taking. Be it independent artists or huge organizations. This is all falling into a grey area and people are jumping down each others throats for unwritten standards. I was unaware about these 'rules' for acquiring art until recently, I just followed suit from the uniform/logo modders that came before me.

I proposed an idea about making a stickied thread about proper ways to obtain logos when it comes to independent artists. It didn't get much response.

Edit:Interesting controversy with the Baltimore Ravens logo. Too bad the man only received $3 dollars for damages. Poor guy even had a copyright and date on his image.

Last edited by Athletics17; 07-18-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Athletics17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #45
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Dirtdawg have you given a website permission to use that logo? I found it in another place. Just wondering why they are able to use it and mods here are not.
Also if you could enlighten me how one would profit from a modified MLB logo?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #46
dirtdawg44
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletics17 View Post
I proposed an idea about making a stickied thread about proper ways to obtain logos when it comes to independent artists. It didn't get much response.
You guys aren't profiting from anything but I think it would still be a good idea to have a sticky about the rights and wrongs just in case. I know over on Chris' site he can get in some serious hot water if a "leaked" logo is posted or something else that rubs a professional team the wrong way. Not that this forum is in the same business as the CCSLC but it's always good to have some rules laid out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Dirtdawg have you given a website permission to use that logo? I found it in another place. Just wondering why they are able to use it and mods here are not.
Also if you could enlighten me how one would profit from a modified MLB logo?
To be honest, I'm not sure what website you're referring to. Could you PM me a link so I can check it out and see what's up? I appreciate it.

People can profit from anything if they want to, legal or illegally. Check out the Chinese counterfeit market (basically any sketchy jersey website is based in China). They make replica's and "authentic" jerseys illegally using logos and designs for profit. There's too many to put a finger on but the FBI and various law enforcement has tried to stop it.

Basically, I'm sure I'm coming off as a total a-hole, but there's so many people out there looking to make money or steal things that aren't there's you have to be vigilant.

Last edited by dirtdawg44; 07-18-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #47
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawg44 View Post
People can profit from anything if they want to, legal or illegally. Check out the Chinese counterfeit market (basically any sketchy jersey website is based in China). They make replica's and "authentic" jerseys illegally using logos and designs for profit. There's too many to put a finger on but the FBI and various law enforcement has tried to stop it.

Basically, I'm sure I'm coming off as a total a-hole, but there's so many people out there looking to make money or steal things that aren't there's you have to be vigilant.
Ok we are talking about uniforms for a game not RL jerseys. I just don't get what the big deal is about others using a logo, jersey, etc for OOTP.

MLB Power Rankings – June ‹ One Second Left

You'll see it near the bottom.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #48
dirtdawg44
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Ok we are talking about uniforms for a game not RL jerseys. I just don't get what the big deal is about others using a logo, jersey, etc for OOTP.

MLB Power Rankings – June ‹ One Second Left

You'll see it near the bottom.
Thanks, they have a couple logos ripped from Chris' site.

I don't get what you don't get, I've tried to explain this properly. I understand these aren't real life uniforms. You asked how people can profit, so I answered. I've seen work get turned into counterfeit jerseys and sold, I've had it happen to me and it's a rather unsettling feeling.

Again, the more times an image is posted the better chance it has of ending up in the wrong hands. That's why I'd prefer to have my images watermarked when posted, or in crappy resolution like on these jerseys. I've already said this community can use the Astros logos, as long as they're protected.

I'm glad you guys enjoy the work I did, that was the point. But I still have to protect it.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #49
legofarley
Major Leagues

Man, I really hope I don't have to get a lawyer to play OOTP at home.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #50
Gern44
All Star Starter

Here's an alternate Astros Jersey I made awhile ago...

Gern44's Blog
Gern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
Gern44
All Star Starter

At points the thread deviated from the request. Upon an additional viewing, I saw the request for an orange alt. Hows this?

Gern44's Blog
Gern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #52
mghurst
All Star Starter

cool thanks
mghurst is offline   Reply With Quote