Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:31 AM   #1
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
The landscape of Minor league baseball Post Coronavirus

We all have probably see that MLB wants to reduce the minors down by 42 teams, which i agree should probably happen.

Now, Baseball America is hinting at the fact that multiple minor league teams may not survive the Coronavirus related shutdown we're in.

So what do everyone think is the alternative? How will the MLB teams replace any team that is shuttered by their owners when the leagues try and start play?

My guess is you will temporarily see bigger rosters at the remaining teams if any of the teams are AAA- Low A and for any team below Low A, you will see teams cutting more players than normal
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

I would think those teams would either qualify for one of those Small Business Loans or the parent club will have to step up and help out their affiliates that are in trouble get through this unique situation.

And I do not agree that they should do away with any teams, or at least I don't think the players association would allow them to get rid of so many jobs (if they even have a say in that matter).

To be honest I have not paid that much attention to those reports because to me it does not make sense for a team to lose potential teams to have potential prospects play actual games. I understand that a lot of those talks have to do with facilities, but if they did get rid of some of those teams, I would think that other cities will have the chance to build new facilities or the AZL & GCL will expand to more teams and the MLB teams will own those lower minor league teams and use their training facilities for games. To me that report is just a scare tactic for some of the minor league owners and cities to start looking at ways to improve their stadiums and training facilities.

And IMO, once we are able to get out and gather in large numbers again, I think baseball may see an increase in attendance as people are going to want to get out of the house and do something.

Last edited by ohiodevil; 04-04-2020 at 09:33 AM.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
And IMO, once we are able to get out and gather in large numbers again, I think baseball may see an increase in attendance as people are going to want to get out of the house and do something.
That's what I was thinking. If minor league teams were advisable and profitable pre-pandemic, they will be so again post-pandemic. This thing looks bad now but it will be gone someday soon and life will return to normal. Well, as normal as it could be after losing so many folk but people are like that; they always "are going to want to get out of the house and do something."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
I would think those teams would either qualify for one of those Small Business Loans or the parent club will have to step up and help out their affiliates that are in trouble get through this unique situation.

And I do not agree that they should do away with any teams, or at least I don't think the players association would allow them to get rid of so many jobs (if they even have a say in that matter).

To be honest I have not paid that much attention to those reports because to me it does not make sense for a team to lose potential teams to have potential prospects play actual games. I understand that a lot of those talks have to do with facilities, but if they did get rid of some of those teams, I would think that other cities will have the chance to build new facilities or the AZL & GCL will expand to more teams and the MLB teams will own those lower minor league teams and use their training facilities for games. To me that report is just a scare tactic for some of the minor league owners and cities to start looking at ways to improve their stadiums and training facilities.

MLB is deadset on removing the short season leagues and they actually dont need the Player's union approval. They have been waiting to do this as the Player development deal was up with MiLB. its almost a guarantee that the Appalachian league is gone as every team in the league is owned by their MLB teams.

Here's some links
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-negotiations/

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...tion-proposal/

the basics
MLB will work to get the draft down to 25 to 30 rounds permanently
all players would go to the GCL/AZL from the draft
and then in the next season be eligible for full season ball which would be the only true normal minor league teams.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Yeah, I think I remember reading that the Appalachian League and New York-Penn League are the ones with the "worst" facilities and that was the reason the MLB was looking to get rid of the affiliations with those leagues.

I do not see them being able to lower the draft because the players union will fight that because that means less players, but in reality how many of the guys picked in rounds 30+ actually sign? I am sure it's close to 60%+ do not and end up going to college or the Indy route, so I guess that would not be as big a deal as it sounds.

I just cannot see them removing places for prospects to actually play, unless they split those AZL/GCL leagues into levels where you have the High School kids play at lower levels and College ones at a higher level.

I know that some of these guys are ready for A ball, but most are not, so having that Short-A (or Low A) is better for development of the college or really good HS players. To me removing teams is not a good solution and will hurt the overall quality of the game.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I think I remember reading that the Appalachian League and New York-Penn League are the ones with the "worst" facilities and that was the reason the MLB was looking to get rid of the affiliations with those leagues.

I do not see them being able to lower the draft because the players union will fight that because that means less players, but in reality how many of the guys picked in rounds 30+ actually sign? I am sure it's close to 60%+ do not and end up going to college or the Indy route, so I guess that would not be as big a deal as it sounds.

I just cannot see them removing places for prospects to actually play, unless they split those AZL/GCL leagues into levels where you have the High School kids play at lower levels and College ones at a higher level.

I know that some of these guys are ready for A ball, but most are not, so having that Short-A (or Low A) is better for development of the college or really good HS players. To me removing teams is not a good solution and will hurt the overall quality of the game.
MLB considers the bad facilities and the horrible travel even worse for their prospects. At least thats the talking point they are using. The teams seem to want to focus on developing prospects rather than just filling out rosters and then releasing a bunch of the guys the next season and replacing them with the new draftees. This is why i am behind the idea. Instead of wasting a year or two on a short season team as roster filler, might as well let these kids go straight away to the Indy teams and see if they can put it together. bc I just don't see there being much development going on for the Staten Island Yankees back up catcher? I mean i could be wrong, but no one that I have ever discussed the minor league game with, mostly guys that have been drafted from my local college have ever said that the develpmental path is the same for prospects in the low minors. If you are well thought of, you get a lot of attention, if not, you don't.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
MLB considers the bad facilities and the horrible travel even worse for their prospects. At least thats the talking point they are using. The teams seem to want to focus on developing prospects rather than just filling out rosters and then releasing a bunch of the guys the next season and replacing them with the new draftees. This is why i am behind the idea. Instead of wasting a year or two on a short season team as roster filler, might as well let these kids go straight away to the Indy teams and see if they can put it together. bc I just don't see there being much development going on for the Staten Island Yankees back up catcher? I mean i could be wrong, but no one that I have ever discussed the minor league game with, mostly guys that have been drafted from my local college have ever said that the develpmental path is the same for prospects in the low minors. If you are well thought of, you get a lot of attention, if not, you don't.
Yeah I get what you're saying, but then there are the late bloomers who won't have that opportunity to show what they can do, even if it means playing 3 years in the New York-Penn League. And there aren't enough Indy Leagues at the moment to have these kids go there and show enough to get picked up, if that happens I think we are going to miss out on a lot of good players who never will been seen or get that chance without that extra level of minors.

Like I said, I understand the travel expense, but these kids know what they are getting into, they should already know they are going to be on a bus for hours at a time to play a series, then back on the bus to another town for another one....it's part of the game. But I am all for more consolidating of the minor league teams and hope that if they get rid of these older leagues, they use the Spring Training sites as a place of those kids to go and play....a lot less travel and the facilities are in top shape already and if that happens, maybe we see those older leagues become Indy Leagues.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I get what you're saying, but then there are the late bloomers who won't have that opportunity to show what they can do, even if it means playing 3 years in the New York-Penn League. And there aren't enough Indy Leagues at the moment to have these kids go there and show enough to get picked up, if that happens I think we are going to miss out on a lot of good players who never will been seen or get that chance without that extra level of minors.

Like I said, I understand the travel expense, but these kids know what they are getting into, they should already know they are going to be on a bus for hours at a time to play a series, then back on the bus to another town for another one....it's part of the game. But I am all for more consolidating of the minor league teams and hope that if they get rid of these older leagues, they use the Spring Training sites as a place of those kids to go and play....a lot less travel and the facilities are in top shape already and if that happens, maybe we see those older leagues become Indy Leagues.
That has been discussed. Mlb would like to have an Indy team in every town that loses a minor league team and they're willing to help with the funding
Old 04-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That has been discussed. Mlb would like to have an Indy team in every town that loses a minor league team and they're willing to help with the funding
Hadn't heard this. What is MLB's angle for Indy teams (funded by MLB) replacing affiliated teams?
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
qcbandits
Banned

Smaller financial footprint per team per season. Their plan called for what they call the Dream league which would be for non drafted players
Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #11
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Smaller financial footprint per team per season. Their plan called for what they call the Dream league which would be for non drafted players
Not sure I understand. For example, if the Appy League goes away and all of its teams fold, then how do the Minnesota Twins save money by no longer having an affiliation-association with with the Elizabethton Twins, and instead funding a new Elizabethton team in a new independent league?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #12
qcbandits
Banned

It wouldn't be the Twins funding the Indy team, the league itself would partner with the new Indy league like they already do with the Atlantic league
at most, individual teams would lose roughly 1% of their national Tv money for this
Old 04-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It wouldn't be the Twins funding the Indy team, the league itself would partner with the new Indy league like they already do with the Atlantic league
at most, individual teams would lose roughly 1% of their national Tv money for this
Gotcha. But if the idea is that all cities that lose teams would regain them in an indy league, then - using the Appy League as an example - why wouldn't MLB simply take over the running of the the Appy League and make it an MLB-funded indy league? I'm mean, the structure is already in place.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:02 PM   #14
qcbandits
Banned

The idea is not MLB funded but MLB supported. The owners themselves would lose the free ride that has made their teams worth millions. They will be forced to actually carry expenses for the first time. As it currently sits, MLB's teams pay for the players the coaches, the trainers, the travel, the equipment and all the insurance. The teams pays for the stadium rental, front office personnel and advertising. Yet the teams keep all the gate, souvenir sales, a percentage of concessions and all the sponsors money. Mlb has always gotten a raw deal on this
Old 04-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #15
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
The idea is not MLB funded but MLB supported. The owners themselves would lose the free ride that has made their teams worth millions. They will be forced to actually carry expenses for the first time. As it currently sits, MLB's teams pay for the players the coaches, the trainers, the travel, the equipment and all the insurance. The teams pays for the stadium rental, front office personnel and advertising. Yet the teams keep all the gate, souvenir sales, a percentage of concessions and all the sponsors money. Mlb has always gotten a raw deal on this
MLB gets the best baseball players in the world, who earn them billions of dollars while enacting rules, and laws, that allow them a legal monopoly which allows them to vastly underpay players for their careers,

Raw deal, my ass
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #16
qcbandits
Banned

With all the news that sports leagues may consider playing their games from the some sort of quarantined zone.. I would have to think there is not much chance we will see a 2020 minor league season. The teams would be more likely to keep a reserve roster with them for injuries. This will play right into MLB being able to force the hand of minor league owners to go along with the plan to reduce the amount of teams bc all the player development contracts are up at the end of this season. So technically no minor league team that has their own ownership group is guaranteed a spot in any affiliated minor league next season.