Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
First OOTP version for me was v4- 2002. Started a game with 2002 real players and have imported it to every version since. I play out all games, including ST, and am almost through the 2035 season.

When you play a game like this, one game at a time, season after season, you really start to understand what 300 career HRs are let alone 500!
I was going to PING you if you didn't post in this thread.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #22
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly Eugene I would never have the willpower to play one version behind year after year.

I don't think you will be disappointed by changing that for v21 but....
like anything computer having those backups is the way to go.
I think it was you who told me to convert right away and not wait a year like I usually do.
Eugene Church is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #23
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Several knowledgeable and astute OOTP gamers have said this new version is stable and reliable... I'll just make sure I have two complete backups on two separate external hard drives before I convert it.
For years I've been paranoid about losing the Continental League to a crash or a hard drive failure, so I've always kept archives. But it's pretty massive now - each annual zipped up archive is 3, 4, 5 Gb. I have my pre-2000 EWB era spreadsheets backup up to multiple places including the cloud. And I just bought a new 4TB drive as an extra local backup that already has my 2020 saved game files backed up.

And in the garage I have several boxes of 3.5" floppies that include early-to-mid-90s data files as well as the Earl Weaver II installation disks. I don't have a drive that will read them, and I doubt they're still usable but I can't bring myself to throw them out.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #24
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBL-Commish View Post
For years I've been paranoid about losing the Continental League to a crash or a hard drive failure, so I've always kept archives. But it's pretty massive now - each annual zipped up archive is 3, 4, 5 Gb. I have my pre-2000 EWB era spreadsheets backup up to multiple places including the cloud. And I just bought a new 4TB drive as an extra local backup that already has my 2020 saved game files backed up.

And in the garage I have several boxes of 3.5" floppies that include early-to-mid-90s data files as well as the Earl Weaver II installation disks. I don't have a drive that will read them, and I doubt they're still usable but I can't bring myself to throw them out.
Google account gives you a free 15gb cloud storage. Just backup to there. External mechanical drives without fans are death sentences. You might get lucky and it never dies but countless people are bit every year.

Also don't be surprised how many peoples many drives die and then the backup drive dies.

An external SSD has a much higher probability of not dying as the big 3.5 inch mechanicals. External or internal. Even OEM builds usually have poor air flow and cooling. And heat is the main killer in those 3.5 inch drives.

If you are real serious about backup not just OOTP the cloud is a must and locally you would want an SSD NAS box using ZFS or at least RAID. That way if 1 drive of the pool and/or array dies you can just replace that 1 and have it rebuilt.

Even better is a double pool/array. Say a ZFS or RAID 5 array then the entire pool/array in a mirror.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #25
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Google account gives you a free 15gb cloud storage. Just backup to there. External mechanical drives without fans are death sentences. You might get lucky and it never dies but countless people are bit every year.

Also don't be surprised how many peoples many drives die and then the backup drive dies.

An external SSD has a much higher probability of not dying as the big 3.5 inch mechanicals. External or internal. Even OEM builds usually have poor air flow and cooling. And heat is the main killer in those 3.5 inch drives.

If you are real serious about backup not just OOTP the cloud is a must and locally you would want an SSD NAS box using ZFS or at least RAID. That way if 1 drive of the pool and/or array dies you can just replace that 1 and have it rebuilt.

Even better is a double pool/array. Say a ZFS or RAID 5 array then the entire pool/array in a mirror.
Thanks. I have everything backed up to multiple locations.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 01:28 AM   #26
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

The MoneyBall Union (online league) has been in continuous operation since January 2004,,,,started in-game year 2022 and we just started the 2099 season (our 78th). I am either the 2nd or 3rd commissioner of the league taking over in 2013.

Last edited by byzeil; 03-30-2020 at 01:33 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
The MoneyBall Union (online league) has been in continuous operation since January 2004,,,,started in-game year 2022 and we just started the 2099 season (our 78th). I am either the 2nd or 3rd commissioner of the league taking over in 2013.
16 yr old MP league, awesome! How much owner turnover has there been over the years?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #28
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I think it was you who told me to convert right away and not wait a year like I usually do.
I'm pretty sure I have, maybe more than once over the years lol

As I said I could never do it that way but have always been impressed with your discipline being able to stick with your plan. Now, FWIW there is no shame in coming over to the dark side

I'm confident you'll be happy but, if not I'm going to feel a bit guilty
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #29
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
16 yr old MP league, awesome! How much owner turnover has there been over the years?
There has been significant turnover over the years just because of time though most owners stay for significant periods. We have a few that have been here the whole 16 years. Generally speaking is is a very stable league ownership wise.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #30
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I have, maybe more than once over the years lol

As I said I could never do it that way but have always been impressed with your discipline being able to stick with your plan. Now, FWIW there is no shame in coming over to the dark side

I'm confident you'll be happy but, if not I'm going to feel a bit guilty
No, if I lose it all, it will be totally all my fault... it will because I didn't take good backup precautions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences in converting the games.
I'm always confident when Sweed replies to my game problems.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #31
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:

You really have a reason to keep multiple backups of everything. That's some serious dedication and I think it's great!! You can buy a USB external 3.5 floppy drive for as little as $10. LINK
I'm sure you could backup each floppy into your HDD/SSD and have it in the cloud in no time at all. Nobody has answered yet, but I was wondering if any of you with super long OOTP saved games have also created an Almanac in the last year or so. I'm so curious to know how big of a file it is.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask... Has anyone kicked off a new saved game starting in 1871, the first year that ootp has data on, and if you have how far did you make it or is it still on-going?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #32
lotr13
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
My Islandian Pro Alliance dynasty league was started December, 2007... I have played 63 seasons... my archives are complete... everything is there... I think the file numbers are 4 to 5 million... I think I started with 2006 version (in association with the Football Manager franchise)… I play in the god mode and just watch the game play out... I sim the regular season (64 teams)… recapping several times in the season... and then play out the Pro Cup playoffs... only 8 division winners play... no wild cards... then I recap the playoffs game-by-game... all of this is posted on the OOTP Dynasty Forum.

Currently using OOTP19... I will soon convert to OOTP20 and then quickly to OOTP21... I want to see the improved 3D animation... really excited about this.

I usually wait until the final patch of each version to convert my leagues... but I have decided to skip playing OOTP20 and go directly to OOTP21.

Several knowledgeable and astute OOTP gamers have said this new version is stable and reliable... I'll just make sure I have two complete backups on two separate external hard drives before I convert it.

Islandian Pro Alliance link:
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631
I skipped 20 myself, but the animations are so much better, I'm glad I went ahead and got 21.
lotr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 PM   #33
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr13 View Post
I skipped 20 myself, but the animations are so much better, I'm glad I went ahead and got 21.
I didn't skip OOTP20... I just didn't use it for my leagues... as I said earlier, I always wait a year to play the newest version... I want it as good as it is going to be... this year, I changed my mind because of the improved animations.

I always buy the latest version of OOTP just to support Markus and the OOTP Development Team... I always pay the full price, too... never get the discount... I want OOTP to make as much money as possible.

I know that there ain't a lot of difference in $39.99 and the discount price... but maybe every little bit helps.

I'll buy OOTP21 soon... and convert from OOTP19 to OOTP20... and then to the new version.

Can't wait to play the new version.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #34
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
Nobody has answered yet, but I was wondering if any of you with super long OOTP saved games have also created an Almanac in the last year or so. I'm so curious to know how big of a file it is.
I stopped doing the almanac years ago because of how long it took and how huge it got. 50 leagues times 14 years, plus 18 years of history before that of just the Continental League... it's too much.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #35
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I stopped doing the almanac years ago because of how long it took and how huge it got. 50 leagues times 14 years, plus 18 years of history before that of just the Continental League... it's too much.
Hehehe Oh, I bet it was! Anything over 20-25 season must take a long time to build. I love the Almanac feature, but I've only played four complete seasons so far.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #36
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Version 19 started in 1876 and now in 1948 with Version 21.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:30 AM   #37
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
Version 19 started in 1876 and now in 1948 with Version 21.
Wow. That's cool. I wondered if anyone started from the very first year available.

Speaking of 1948, OOTP blew me away once again. I knew that 1948 was supposed to be one of the busiest years in terms of minor league organizations, but I didn't think OOTP would recreate it completely. So, I started a 1948 season just as a test to see what OOTP actually did. I couldn't believe it... Staring back at me were 24 farm teams for the New York Yankees. I pulled up the Dodgers -- same thing. It must be a nightmare if you try and micromanage a team's entire MiLB system at that period of time.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #38
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. That's cool. I wondered if anyone started from the very first year available.

Speaking of 1948, OOTP blew me away once again. I knew that 1948 was supposed to be one of the busiest years in terms of minor league organizations, but I didn't think OOTP would recreate it completely. So, I started a 1948 season just as a test to see what OOTP actually did. I couldn't believe it... Staring back at me were 24 farm teams for the New York Yankees. I pulled up the Dodgers -- same thing. It must be a nightmare if you try and micromanage a team's entire MiLB system at that period of time.
One man's nightmare is another man's bliss

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #39
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Nobody has answered yet, but I was wondering if any of you with super long OOTP saved games have also created an Almanac in the last year or so. I'm so curious to know how big of a file it is.
I was doing some cleanup and archiving, and realized that I had 2016 and 2017 almanacs still hanging around. Checked the size and they were about 7 Gb each. Just deleted them, then zipped up the whole saved game and it took a few minutes instead of hour(s).
Old 04-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #40
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:

The minor leagues were run differently in 1948. Look at the Yanks' system on bb-ref. The vast majority of their teams used 18-25 total players all year. There had to have been very little movement between teams. MLB teams were still in the habit of mostly respecting a minor league team's... well... team-ness. They wouldn't usually call up their cleanup hitter so he could pinch hit three times a week, he'd keep being the Class B team's cleanup hitter all year. You'd go to spring training, set up your rosters, and largely just let them go the whole year.

Compare to 2019, where the Yanks' AA team used 28 position players, and another 30 pitchers.