Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
cinefan
Bat Boy

Keeping it simple?

I am overwhelmed by the sophisticated options available in OOTP. Is there a way in which I can bypass all the peripherals and just draft teams of real players and play games? Perhaps with time I may add other facets of the game, but right now I want to keep it at the simplest level possible. Help?
Cinefan
P.S. If this is the wrong forum for this question, please refer me to the right place. Thanks!
cinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #22
slic1149
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinefan View Post
I am overwhelmed by the sophisticated options available in OOTP. Is there a way in which I can bypass all the peripherals and just draft teams of real players and play games? Perhaps with time I may add other facets of the game, but right now I want to keep it at the simplest level possible. Help?
Cinefan
P.S. If this is the wrong forum for this question, please refer me to the right place. Thanks!
First let me say that the best way to learn the game is to play with it. Use it like a toy. Experiment with the settings. Do you want to play historical or modern? Are you interested in playing a season, career, or just individual games? Do you want to draft historical players to comprise your team? The game is so vast that it is difficult to help without understanding what you want to do.

One more thing, watch the videos, and and read the manual. The game is daunting unless you decide how you want to play it. Once you make that decision then ask specific how do I do this questions. This is not a pick it up and master it game. It is, in some ways, more about the journey than the destination. As a very first step you might want to just use the single game or single series function. That is probably the easiest way to just play a game of baseball.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #23
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinefan View Post
Cinefan
probably should make a new thread but oyu got a couple replies

definitely... even if you are a "GM" you can delegate all sorts of responsibility to the AI. As a gm you may want "GM-Legacy mode" checked in Global Settings, too. if you want to control managing of games and depth charts regardless of a coach's wishes.

e.g. you don't want to deal with minors in any way-- GM Office -> Control Settings [sic] and select Asst. GM or Minor League Managers etc.

That's the screen you want to look over... check manual too if they aren't obvious as to what the effect is.

As a "Coach", you just take jobs and the players given to you. maybe that's the option you want to take when starting a league. can switch after too.

And, you can do as cinefan suggests while you delegate in many instances... slim it down to a bite size and if you enjoy it expand... maybe control 1 or 2 prospects. whatever you enjoy or appreciate the returns of, you can expand upon that and continue to avoid anything that's not entertaining/fun etc without investing much. just a toe in the water
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #24
openmedi
Bat Boy

>click Auto-calc for full-season MLB / MiLs that start soon, if needed

What does "Auto-calc for full season" mean? I have in many screens the option to let the AI set up something (pitching, lineups, etc.). But I can't do so for a "full season". The only thing that seems related to this seems to be the Auto-Play Until… feature, but this can't be what the writer means by it, right?

P.S.: I own ootp18.
openmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #25
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

League Settings -> Stats and AI -> right side of screen contains all league totals and modifiers.

this controls the statistical range of results -- ~around a particular average as defined by the totals and modifiers.

before a season starts a button becomes visible. it will callibrate the modifers and totals *based on current players in your league*. it says something like "Auto-Calculate Modifiers" Oh, i think the preseason must have begun too.. .so between preseason and opening day? check manual.

it's good to click it at least 1 time, preferably on Opening Day, but before any games have been played. after that you can tweak the modifiers, individually.

e.g. if you auto-calc in a low-talent year, you will see a fairly uniform rise in statistics and a higher average for said statistics as defined by the League Totals (on their own). the opposite for auto-calcing in a high-talent year -> can only go down. * a bit, nothing catastrophic or continuous in nature.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #26
lepofsky54
Bat Boy

lepofsky54

hello:
I just have a simple question, I am considering buying the latest version of this game, ootpbaseball18 and wanted to know, would I be able to replay an entire season, make trades during that season. Also, can I create my own leagues, for example, if I'm replaying the 1927 season, if I decide to make my own league of the 27 yankees, 41 reds, 98 yanks, and so on. Would I be able to do that?
lepofsky54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #27
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepofsky54 View Post
hello:
I just have a simple question, I am considering buying the latest version of this game, ootpbaseball18 and wanted to know, would I be able to replay an entire season, make trades during that season. Also, can I create my own leagues, for example, if I'm replaying the 1927 season, if I decide to make my own league of the 27 yankees, 41 reds, 98 yanks, and so on. Would I be able to do that?
Yes to all.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #28
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

for your own gains, i'd make new posts for such a question -- obviously this question has been answered but for future reference.

you are welcome to post in this thread - especially anythign as a specific response to it, but you will get more eyes on your post as its own thread for more general questions and more likely to thave the answer sooner and possibly a variety of them in many cases, lol.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #29
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

A few new rookie at this game not sure in what u mean or lingo so ill ask and hopefully doesn't sound like dumb questions

A) ur beginner guide what do u mean by minor league lock players?

B) training camp 40 man? If i invite AAA and AA what's the max amount of players i can have on my main ST roster also do they have to be on 40 man roster to invite aka recall them up?

C) u mention u get a scouting bump? So say u have 3 million on international complex once u promote to minor u saying u go up o say for example 3.5 million?

D) what do u mean by culling the minors

E) about the promote domote thing so when season starts keep them in that league until they have what u said like 20 contact and such what u list on the first page or batting average until they reach the nezt stage that u mention then promote

F) when u mention the year relation? I know u said 3-4 in rookie and then 6-8 in AAA do u mean year 6-8 or so u mean like 4 years in say rookie and then 6-8 full years in triple AAA

G)rookie draft... I plan on having 45 rounds like IRL MLB.. Also plan on having 2 rookie clubs which gives me 20-25 players per rookie draft.. What happens say year 2 and there is still players on rookies on rookie roster when the crop of rookies come in? Do i just cut the horrible ones to make new for the new rookies or cut the crop ones?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #30
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

A)

Player strategy or right click contaxt menu allows you to "lock player to current level" it's a checkbox in the player strategy screen. think it's an option where you promote/demote in context menu too -- verbage is different, not sure if same - "prevent ai from promoting" or something similar. i've always used the player Strategy screen within Team strategy, so not 100% sure, but based on the words should be the same thing.

if a player is locked, you can "ask ai to setup complete mil system" and those players will remain where they are and the ai works players around them.

b)

default is 40? it's a setting. check manual. and no, spring training roster is completely different. no worries about service time and such.... call up an 18y.o. rookie-leaguer if you want to.

just make sure to remove them before opening day. you wouldn't want someone adding to 40-man before you intend to add them.

c)

i am assuming what you are speaking of...

what i mean is accuracy is better as you promote. a player is more accurately scouted at AAA than at Rookie-league level. Budget still matters... but that dynamic will still exist no matter how much you spend.

i don't know what budget applies to the Complex, but i can tell you international scouting budget is 99% useless if you have no international leagues turned on and running (ficitonal or real etc). so, re-allocate that money to the other 3 scoutign budgets, only if you play with NO int'l leagues.

d)

culling -- chopping the fat... i'll cut the 30+ year olds in AAA that begin to show any aging... after i promote due to age/service time, i then cut the 'worst' options for any position that has too many players at a particular MiL Level.

i do consider the future. e.g. if i have 5 2b at AA, i may keep all of them if 3 are 'forced' to promote the following year.

again, i treat 'filler' players (not good) different than my locked players. anythign ~mlb quality potential or trade value will be treated wtih care. i match those players to level based on their development. they are ignored in the "count" i just mentioned in previous example. so, if i had a locked 2b, it'd by "6" 2b above in reality. but, since they move midseason or as needed, they can't be counted on to be there for the entire season.

e)

the BA you'd only know if you cheat and turn comissioner mode on and go into the profile editor. it does not reference sim-results. it's good to look at while learning, but don't make it a crutch. i'd also suggest playing with 100% accuracy for a season or 2 to get used to how things really work without

yes once ratings warrant a promotion do so, but due to inaccuracy at rookie level / short A, you need to be a bit conservative early on in their careers.

with inaccuracy on, if stats don't show big production but you see a huge contact, make sure to 'check-in' on them after any promotion and wait ~2months before any knee-jerk reaction.

at A-ball and higher, when i see the contact ratings rise to a suitable level, i am 10x more confident about that promotion than early on. the only important thing is that they continue to improve their ratings... if scouting of current ability keeps going up, they are probably fine where they are.

f)

i assume this is about service time?

it's the total amount of time, not the amount of time at that level. the rules you set for each league would make that relevant... if you have no service time limits for MiL leagues it won't matter at all to you. simply put them where they deserve to go and no worries about age/service time.

i set those rules up differently know. they are extremely important for picking # of rounds in draft.

e.g. draftees only have 2 years of eligibility in my rookie leagues. i have 2 rookie teams per MLB team... so i need ~70 drafted players every 2 years, so ~40 rounds is good (figure ~2-5 draftees/year don't go to rookie per team).

i use SA as a buffer... upto 4 years for any stragglers that can't hack it at A-ball plus a handful of first year players that are more advanced.

5 years total before forced to AA, if they cna hack it etc etc... if you don't have these rules enabled, you don't have to worry much about age.

just consider that range of ages, if you do set up these types of rules. these rules can hurt more than help in many situations.

g)

relates to what i said in (F)... depends on your rules for Rookie league. they might be able to stay there until they are 40, if you want them and they don't retire.

becareful of cutting in rookie league... make sure they are really really terrible prospects. i typical cut after i promote and have a new scouting report at the next level. new and better information is key.

e.g. if my Short A team has ~50+ players in februry, i don't care. when i get that first scouting report of the year, i'll look into slimming it down.

i cut AFTER any procedural stuff, not before. ie you want to take care of promotions/demotions so that you know what depth you have at each position and at each level. sometimes next year's 'need' will cause you to keep more players than you expect or want under normal situations.

extra is no problem in the minors.... make sure to use "Start based on Potential" (wrong words, but similar) in the settings for MiL rosters. (check manual for location). if you have a player you like that is poorly rated, "force" them to start at a position to ensure playing time.

who cares of 15 crappy players sit on the bench. it's better to have them then to sift through FA for injury replacements. definitely less effort at the least.

35-40 players is the "right" amount of players for MiL teams. more isn't a problem, but probably better for the entire league if you release what you don't need. (no big deal, the AI isn't doing it either, lol).

more is better than less in the minors. a starved system is far more detrimental to your league than a fat one.

as far as ho wlong you want them in Rookie league? 2years? 3 years? definiteyl reasonable... and an opinion that you;ll have to form based on your own preferences.

i'm going to post a MiL / draft guide sometime soon. (relating to service time and age and how to set one up without bottlenecks and pooling of players at a particular level etc) just math and adding things up... if you only 'give' 2 years at that level, the draft must provide enough in 2 years to sustain it.

("give" - based on rules.. a window where 90% of the palyers will come from. e.g. if you only give 1 year at Aball before "forced" to next level if following requirments, you need enough from 1 draft, even if it's 5 years in future)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #31
pubs
Minors (Single A)

This is the most comprehensive guide I’ve seen on any topic in here. Thanks for putting the time in putting this together.

Can you expand a little on your draft methodology? Aside from drafting talent vs need. What do you look for in early, middle and late rounds of the draft?

Last edited by pubs; 02-17-2018 at 06:34 PM.
pubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 AM   #32
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the biggest thing beyond the obvious quantitative stuff...

i guess i learn when things disappear... pay attention to depth of draft between years... pay attention to when various quality of positions disappear...

certain trends repeat -- for example, after the obvious SP are taken and mostly low potential and 2-pitch pitchers in the guise of 3-pitch repertoires etc, i find the best ones are typically the Position players that show any modicum of pitching skill... as in their control/movement and stuff are viable for the MLB at a much later draft round than it should be. 50/50 on one of these guys vs a 2-pitch SP is worth the risk.

so, don't filter by "SP only" -- "All pitchers" on the other hand is Okay. that includes the 3b or ss that also has experience as a pitcher.

how i draft is a bit odd.. it's part of a much larger system. i stagger ages, control contract lengths in very spicific ways so as to never be painted into a corner. If i replace more than 2 batters in my lineup, it's an odd year. ~4 players a year on both sides is typical max change. when i don't stick to this for various irrational reasons, it tends to hurt my team... but i do so when it's an acceptable loss.

e.g. i recently held on to a knuckleballer until their ratings took a dive.. i very rarely do such a stupid thing, but i was looking to maximize a carreer player with my team. i am irrational when it entertains me enough

this effects drafting strategy. i never draft high, so i focus on trade assets. what i draft is rarely for my team. if various rules or settings makes 120-130-140win average impossible, this may or may not be a good strategy - at least not 100% of the time.

after the first 10-20 picks i rely much less on potential rating as a sorting device... i use filters for various roles on a team. that will be the same regardless of strategy.

if there are too many options to hold in my head for 1 particular round, i shortlist and weed out from there.

no matter what... as you gain experience chang and adapt... stick with it until you know for sure it's worse or better .. rinse and repeat... i am still changing how i do things all the time. i like to think it's always for the better, but somtimes we all take a step back... it's worht it in the long run. you can squeeze what no one else can squeeze out of the game
Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #33
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

I almost exclusively do straight out historical replays although I am really excited about the Tournament Mode. That said, NoOne, your guide is perhaps the most comprehensive of ANY guide for ANY game period.

Who knows, with your guide I just might try some GM stuff sown the road. Regardless, a HUGE thank you for this guide!!!

Best,
Beatles
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #34
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

glad to hear it helps.

i'm sure stuff will need to be updated for ootp19. as of this posting, the should be accurate through ootp18 release at the least.

if any ratins are off, simply relate stats back to baslines of the league. easy to tell if a player is above average for a mil tier and safe to promote, most likely.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #35
sdoug78
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When to move rule 5 eligible players

Hello,

I am from the UK and completely new to the game and pretty new to baseball also but want to get into the game as it looks amazing.

I have spent the last few days reading posts on the game (OOTP 19) and am getting a better understanding of the rules and stats etc but have been unable to find when on the game I should promote my best rule 5 eligible prospects to the 40 man roster?

Would it be the day before the rule 5 draft or do I need to plan and do this earlier in the season? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
sdoug78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #36
Rampkin325
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug78 View Post
Hello,

I am from the UK and completely new to the game and pretty new to baseball also but want to get into the game as it looks amazing.

I have spent the last few days reading posts on the game (OOTP 19) and am getting a better understanding of the rules and stats etc but have been unable to find when on the game I should promote my best rule 5 eligible prospects to the 40 man roster?

Would it be the day before the rule 5 draft or do I need to plan and do this earlier in the season? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Rule 5 Draft Eligibility:

A player not on a team's secondary roster is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if the player was age 18 or younger when he first signed a contract and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft since he signed, OR if he was age 19 or older when he first signed a contract and this is the third Rule 5 draft since he signed.

Basically, as long as they are on your 40 man roster the day prior to the rule 5 draft you are okay. I would say wait as long as possible because player's stats change overtime as they develop and someone that you may of though you didn't want in May might turn out to be a good player in September.
Rampkin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #37
sdoug78
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampkin325 View Post
Rule 5 Draft Eligibility:

A player not on a team's secondary roster is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if the player was age 18 or younger when he first signed a contract and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft since he signed, OR if he was age 19 or older when he first signed a contract and this is the third Rule 5 draft since he signed.

Basically, as long as they are on your 40 man roster the day prior to the rule 5 draft you are okay. I would say wait as long as possible because player's stats change overtime as they develop and someone that you may of though you didn't want in May might turn out to be a good player in September.
Thanks for your help, that’s what I had hoped to hear as I planned to leave it as long as possible because the prospects aren’t ready for mlb yet but too good to risk losing.
sdoug78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #38
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

unless they have potential, most won't be picked. so, don't stretch too much for a bench-player ceiling or anything.

i treat my 40-man roster at all times with "less is more" concept. i'd rather leave a bunch of openings for injuries for AAA players (that i can let go at end of year if needed) or prospects (to help break in slowly) beyond a few potentially better quality options that i may pay to overcome a small wave of injuries - at least likely better than the aaa call-ups. i'm not mucking up my 40-man with too much depth or borderline players. if i can use and dump to get back to 32-35ish entering a season i am feeling good. flexibility is never a problem.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #39
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

what

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #40
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenHelen View Post
Hello everybody! I'm new here, tell me, do you have something interesting to read here? I will be glad to meet new people

It depends, batboy or batgirl?
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote