Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
hallissyc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Player Progression/Moods/etc.

All,

So I have done my best to sit back and kind of passively observe the boards. I have poked around here and there, and there are a few things that I am on the fence about. No doubt, I have supported OOTP with my purchase of OOTP 13 and FHM 14. These games have literally been my introduction to the genre. I knew that this type of game existed but never knew how incredibly addictive that they can be. Lately, I have been spreading myself thin with a couple of things I have downloaded/purchased to try and figure out what I like best. I downloaded EHM 2007 (which I think is a sort of cult classic) and bought a copy of FM 2011. As has already been stated, I bought OOTPB 13 about 4-5 months ago and FHM 14 just recently (can't judge anything by the BETA of FHM right now).

So one thing I don't understand about OOTPB is how players progress. Some days they do good, some days they do horribly. Typically the guys who look good on paper will perform well, but sometimes they don't. So how does this work in OOTP? If a guy is struggling with his bunting, how do I get him better at bunting? In FM 2011, if a guy is getting a bunch of penalties I can train HIM on penalties. I can fine him or talk to him or do a multitude of things to correct this issue.

How does mood affect players in OOTP? Half of my team is angry and they still perform, and the other half is happy and they don't. Are these factors connected in any way or is this a "nice to know" aspect of the game in OOTP?

I don't want to start a FM versus OOTP, as I know there are many threads devoted to the subject. I do, however, look at these two games who had similar (if not exact) beginnings and am really trying to figure out which to move forward with and follow. The unfortunate drawback to FM (which I think is the better game) is that I don't know enough about soccer. I don't have a feel for it. In OOTP, when in a tough spot, I know what needs to happen. I am just trying to figure out how I can logically get the most out of the game I am playing.

Also, if I am wrong about this, I attribute it to my lack of experience. I have not been playing these games long and have surely not explored every possibility with each of the games.

Thanks,
Chris
hallissyc is offline   Reply With Quote