Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
james17
All Star Starter

Back for More Pain?

I left this forum I think about 6 weeks ago. Couldn't stand the lack of progress on the game so I thought I'd try out some of the competition.

I started out with DDSPF 20. Certainly not a bad game and a decent effort but I failed to find a good starting manual on it and had to learn the game completely by trial and error. Once I got the hang of it, I started a fictional league because I like playing all my sims with fictional players. Gameplay wasn't too bad and I stuck with it for a about a month. You can play it in god mode or as a career in which you can be fired if you don't do well. Some gameplay items were really good especially the 2-d graphics you can play out individual games with. All in all though the game lost its appeal for me. Can't really explain why other than to say it lacked that 'addictive' feeling that you get in other sports sims (like OOTP).

I then tried FOF 8 and have been playing it for about 3 weeks. Once I got to learn the interface (and that was quite an effort) the game has been fun to play. It could use a few more bells and whistles and a clean GUI interface for sure but, damn, the gameplay is addictive. I wish I had more 'sandbox' capability in playing it (like DDSPF and OOTP have) and that it had 2-d gameplay but I have to say I enjoy playing it. Jim did a good job of polishing the internals of the game. If he and OOTP ever get to giving this game some developmental priority it should result in a big hit.

I know OOTP has limited resources and that right now they are laser focused on developing OOTP 21 Baseball. That is understandable. What is harder for me to comprehend is why they decided to place OOTP Go above FOF in development priority. I would say that with OOTP 20, OOTP 21, Perfect Team, and the former mobile OOTP game they really have done baseball to death and they would better serve their gamer audience with concentrating on FOF Next. Of course, I can't speak for their audience just my little part of it, but I find that I'm not feeling the excitement for OOTP 21 and Go I used to feel for their products. OOTP 20 actually left me kind of flat in that it was so much more of the same. But that was OK because it is the best baseball sim around. It's just that if never excited me.

I think FOF Next would be a groundbreaking adventure especially since Jim did such a great job on the internal workings of the game and OOTP has shown the capability to develop a damned fine interface and some graphics play to boot.

I would encourage the very talented Markus and his company to rethink the priority for FOF and make it their next great release.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #2
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

This man speaks the truth. That is all I gotta say other than 'well said'...
Old 03-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
What is harder for me to comprehend is why they decided to place OOTP Go above FOF in development priority.
It's simple. Micro transactions
Old 03-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Reggie
Major Leagues

I just came here to beg them to make this game. I was going to start my own thread but this one does the job. I didn't understand the infatuation with FOF 8 until I really dug down and played it. It's a really good game that just needs some tweaks. I've come to like it so much I don't even care how long it takes anymore..just don't give up on it. The potential for the ideal American football sim is right there. Please do it.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
Reggie
Major Leagues

Draft Day Sports needs an AI overhaul. Playing out games just doesn't " feel real".. if they figure that out they are WAY above the competition, in my book. It is head and shoulders above UI wise, but the immersion factor isn't there. I don't feel like I control the game... if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Reggie; 03-03-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #6
Reggie
Major Leagues

My perfect combination of games would be the play calling of Pro strategy football 20 with the roster management and AI of FOF and the interface of DDS20..I'd pay a lot of money for that experience.

Last edited by Reggie; 03-03-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Draft Day Sports needs an AI overhaul. Playing out games just doesn't " feel real".. if they figure that out they are WAY above the competition, in my book. It is head and shoulders above UI wise, but the immersion factor isn't there. I don't feel like I control the game... if you know what I mean.
+1 to this. The interface is pretty, but I really think their first step would be to re-do how they present news, scores, and other updates. For instance, in the college game, I actually really like what they're doing when it comes to recruiting updates, top classes, etc., but it gets lost amidst other news on top performers, a long list of scores, and the like.

I'd love to see key updates hit your inbox in a way that is cleaner and more eye catching than what Wolverine currently does. Hell, I don't even follow baseball in real life anymore, but I still play my fake baseball franchise constantly, because OOTP has hooked me with the way they present updates, data, etc.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #8
Clavette
Major Leagues

Before this merger I always felt that FOF would be amazing if it was more like OOTP.
When I found out about these two separate entities combining forces I was very excited.

I hope that this project still happens. Theres so much potential

I also agree with the op, this game would be a bigger success than ootp go

Last edited by Clavette; 03-05-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #9
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I agree with OP 100%. DDSPFB was just lacking and didn't hook me like fof did. The search continues.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
I agree with OP 100%. DDSPFB was just lacking and didn't hook me like fof did. The search continues.
I agree. There is something about that game that just turns me off and doesn't immerse me at all. The UI is actually distracting to me.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
I agree. There is something about that game that just turns me off and doesn't immerse me at all. The UI is actually distracting to me.
I agree. FOF is a great game except for the UI which has always been a huge turn off for me. I always felt with the proper UI it could be a great game. There was something about Draft day that never could really pull me in. Even the UI, something about it that just turns me off. It is better than FOF, but still does not seem that great to me.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
PepeSylvia
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
I agree. FOF is a great game except for the UI which has always been a huge turn off for me. I always felt with the proper UI it could be a great game. There was something about Draft day that never could really pull me in. Even the UI, something about it that just turns me off. It is better than FOF, but still does not seem that great to me.
Agreed, the bones are there with FOF8. With a few tweaks and an ootp style UI facelift, it'll be amazing.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
Tim Tellean
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeSylvia View Post
Agreed, the bones are there with FOF8. With a few tweaks and an ootp style UI facelift, it'll be amazing.
Jim decided to take it beyond a few tweaks and a paint job by joining OOTP. FOF has many issues under the hood that I believe Jim is working through in addition to the new paint job.