Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: FAQ

View Poll Results: Should we add a sub-board?
Add an ads sub-board 1 9.09%
Add a general sub-board 1 9.09%
Don't add any but if you must then add an ads sub-board 2 18.18%
Don't add any but if you must then add a general sub-board 2 18.18%
I don't care 5 45.45%
Other... 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

Sub-Board for ?

I know this board is mostly ads for online leagues, but there's the occasional thread that is not an ad yet belongs here as opposed to the commish board. Would it be better to have a sub-board for either the ads or the general stuff or is it fine that these other threads quickly sink to the bottom under the ads? If they are to be separated, which would you prefer a sub-board for?
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
satchel
Hall Of Famer

OOTP Online will certainly require a sub-board; when the time comes, we should separate ads for it from the general ads.

I like the idea of more general discussion about online leagues in general; the Commissioners forum contains most of that. I think it's quite likely that the proper place for the Commissioners forum is as a sub-board in this main online leagues category; the extra exposure it gets now is a positive thing, though.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

I strongly suspect that OOTP Online will get its own category of boards when it is released, like ITP has its, TBCB has its, etc. I can't see them mixing the two as it would be too confusing.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Ah, I see. Good point.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Sub boards, as a rule, suck. They require a second click to get to, so they never reach their full audience.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

what's ootp online?
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

I hate sub boards.
I didn't vote because there is no simple "don't add a sub-board".
Whoever said they never reach the full intended audience was correct.

So, as for me, just don't.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
kq76
Global Moderator

I think it's interesting the instant reaction some people seem to have towards sub-boards. Yes, if you enter these forums by the index and we don't have links to sub-boards on the index page like some forums do, then it's an extra click from the start, but other than that it's not that big of a deal. I think most people, if they really thought about it would vote for a general sub-board while keeping the main board just for ads. Yes, on the surface it may seem backwards, but from a usability standpoint it makes the most sense I believe. The board is predominantly made up of ads so why make most people click through to a sub-board to access them. Conversely, few threads here are not about ads and so they quickly get drowned out by all the ads. I think it would make a lot of sense, therefore, to create a sub-board for those general threads so people interested in checking out just general threads about online leagues can easily browse just them.

For example, the other day I was looking for something to do with administrating online leagues and I wanted to make sure I got as much info as possible, not just what a search would bring up. Thankfully, with the commish board it was so much easier to quickly go through all the threads to find out if anybody had something to say about what I was interested in. Back before there was that board that task would have been a ridiculously arduous one. Now my query wouldn't be the same as someone's who was just interested in non-commish, non-ad threads, but without the threads categorized like commish ones are, one would most likely just not bother. To me that says this place, as currently organized, isn't as useful as it can be and it would be pretty simple to improve it while not at all inconveniencing the majority of the viewers here most of the time who are primarily interested in ad threads.

The thing, though, is there's really not that many of those other threads so it's not a huge deal either way, but IMO it would at least be a small net improvement. Keep in mind that I'm thinking newcomers to online leagues would be most interested in these topics which makes it even more of a benefit to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxvain View Post
what's ootp online?
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ht=ootp+online

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ht=ootp+online

Last edited by kq76; 02-21-2009 at 11:24 AM.