Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
DaBears
Major Leagues

Modern day game, but with 1970’s league setup

I am looking at the idea of a new league that would start in 2019 modern day (current players) but then shift immediately to 1970’s league setup. It’s easy to do by simply deleting TBR, MIA, COL & ARI. You can also delete TOR & SEA, if desired, although I lean toward keeping those.

My question is I am trying to figure out if once you delete those teams, do you then delete their players from the free agency database or not? It seems like if you do not do so, the league is going to be overwhelmed with talent, but I don’t want to create a situation where in 2-3 years there are nowhere near enough good players.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

I'd probably release them back into the free agent pool. Fact is, it's not as if there was less talent in the 1970s - they just didn't have the space to shine, as it were.

You could also create new minor leagues, or a promotion and relegation system, to address that.

Visit The Boardwalk for Sports, Gaming, and other talk!
oriole^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
zappa1
All Star Starter

I was thinking of doing a 2019 season with the 1965 setup and see how that goes.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
I am looking at the idea of a new league that would start in 2019 modern day (current players) but then shift immediately to 1970’s league setup. It’s easy to do by simply deleting TBR, MIA, COL & ARI. You can also delete TOR & SEA, if desired, although I lean toward keeping those.

My question is I am trying to figure out if once you delete those teams, do you then delete their players from the free agency database or not? It seems like if you do not do so, the league is going to be overwhelmed with talent, but I don’t want to create a situation where in 2-3 years there are nowhere near enough good players.

What will happen hitters won't perform as well because they are facing stronger pitching and pitchers won't perform as well because they are facing stronger hitting. Because in both cases the less talented players aren't playing as much (or not at all).

For a discussion of a related issue, runs per game with different overall talent, see the thread in talk sports "I owe my success to a short porch, expansion pitching...". The 1969 expansion is not responsible for the scoring increase in 69 versus 68.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
What will happen hitters won't perform as well because they are facing stronger pitching and pitchers won't perform as well because they are facing stronger hitting. Because in both cases the less talented players aren't playing as much (or not at all).

For a discussion of a related issue, runs per game with different overall talent, see the thread in talk sports "I owe my success to a short porch, expansion pitching...". The 1969 expansion is not responsible for the scoring increase in 69 versus 68.
I guess the question then is doesn’t it all even out?
Old 01-27-2020, 12:36 AM   #6
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
I guess the question then is doesn’t it all even out?
Depends on whether you're looking at overall scoring or peak performance. In your situation you would have cut the teams from 30 to 24 while retaining all the players. So the remaining 24 teams have more talent. Peak individual performances will be lower while overall scoring will be the same as it would have been.

They people in the Diamond Mind league were complaining the game was broken because the stars didn't perform like stars. Well, they were using a database of players most of whom were everyday players, rated on their best seven years. Then they had too many players for the number of teams so they skimmed the cream of the cream.

So I ran some tests and showed them it was their choices, not a broken game. Many wouldn't believe it.

Last edited by Brad K; 01-27-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
DaBears
Major Leagues

Maybe a compromise - we'll see if it works. I deleted the free agents with potential ratings over 50 and kept the rest in the game. This allows me to move forward with injuries on (set to low) and have enough players out there teams can stock where needed for depth.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

That's a good idea.