Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #21
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I have found that my two way player (see the above picture in one of my previous posts) is suggested to be used as a RP, even though he has high stamina and I have him listed as in the rotation.
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #22
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
I don't think that is enough time for most pitchers to warm up. Throwing on the mound is much different than throwing in the outfield or wherever between innings. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done...it is just a logistical nightmare in most situations. You would have to have a pitcher who could get warm extremely quickly and playing 9 innings before pitching isn't going to put him at his best in most cases.
Never mind that maybe he made the last out on the bases too, so asking him to be fully ready to pitch within the 2 minute timeframe is a real challenge.
In-game, no, we don't actually check to see if a guy in the game is rated as a reliever and can swap them out. Too challenging. So yeah, I guess in some ways guys are limited to being a starter as a two-way guy (except if you have the rare case of a guy who's a bench player/reliever, where we could bring him in from the pen if he hasn't come in to bat already).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #23
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I have found that my two way player (see the above picture in one of my previous posts) is suggested to be used as a RP, even though he has high stamina and I have him listed as in the rotation.
When picking a secondary position, we try to pick whether SP or RP makes more sense, but certainly nothing stopping you from using him as a starter if we list him as CF/RP.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #24
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

It would be cool if the logic was in there for true 2-way guys eventually so that you could simulate lower levels. At the high school and Juco levels you definitely have guys who do what fcabanski is wanting or maybe if you are wanting to create some kind of semi-pro situation. I'm guessing logic like that is going to be complicated and a version or 2 away at best if they are even interested in creating those scenarios because you would also be talking about maybe a starter moving from the mound out to right-field (or wherever) if he is also one of your better hitters. The lower you move down levels the more players have the ability to move around position-wise without big drops in ability from the standard for that level.

Last edited by Rain King; 03-20-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #25
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Really cool to see this in Historical Sims. Is it only related to a player who's a SP/Position though rather than a RP/Position (probably due to the likelihood of maybe being needed as a RP any game?)

SP Bobby Matthews in 1872 went 19-15 in 41 Starts. He also started 41 games at 1B and 1 game at 3B. He ended up hitting .325 with a 104 OPS+ in 375 PA.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #26
rink23
Hall Of Famer

I've gone in and clicked on Flaherty's two-way player button, which should make him a pitcher only.
I advance the game a day, and he's back in the lineup as designated hitter.
Right now, I have my minor league managers handling lineup duties.
Do I need to take them over?
I'd rather leave them to the CPU, so I can spend my day-to-day duties on the big club.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #27
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcabanski View Post
"If the game puts him as a closer and doesn't use him, that is definitely an issue. The logistics on that seem tough though. When/where does he warm up?"

His team finishes batting, he's already warm and loose from playing in the game. He takes his pitches on the mound.
Let's not pretend this never happens, Buster Posey isn't the only player that did this in college.

I'm really looking forward to trying this out, my closer in one of my universes is a guy OOTP converted from a position player with batting ratings that are so high I use him as a PH before he comes into the game to close (and it's 70s-era so sometimes he gets another AB). There's at least one other player in the league like this, so I look forward to the AI messing around with this with its players, even imperfectly.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote