Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Rain Delays

Whats the point of rain delays. I have not seen them have any effect on game play. I would thing pitchers would get tired earlier, but that doesn't happen. So besides realism and wet playing conditions? Whats the point?
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfather View Post
Whats the point of rain delays. I have not seen them have any effect on game play. I would thing pitchers would get tired earlier, but that doesn't happen. So besides realism and wet playing conditions? Whats the point?
I've never seen a rain delay not affect the SP in game. In many cases the current pitcher cannot continue. Do you see something different? Be more specific please?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Number4
Major Leagues

Pitchers DO get tired earlier!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #5
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I recently had an extra innings game, the last of a 4 game series, and the other team was down to their last pitcher that wasn't either already used that game or with red meter showing exhausted from previous day. I was doing fine with 2 more RP rested and ready to go.
A rain delay "saved" my opponent before he had to resort to a fielder providing pitching. I was really looking forward to seeing that, but it was ruined by the rain delay.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #6
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I recently had an extra innings game, the last of a 4 game series, and the other team was down to their last pitcher that wasn't either already used that game or with red meter showing exhausted from previous day. I was doing fine with 2 more RP rested and ready to go.
A rain delay "saved" my opponent before he had to resort to a fielder providing pitching. I was really looking forward to seeing that, but it was ruined by the rain delay.
Huh? Once again, rain delays make guys more tired, not less. If the pitcher retired your side, it was despite the delay, not because of it.

They will not become instantly exhausted however. A pitcher that has faced only a few batters might have enough left to face a few more even with the rain delay penalty applied.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

My mistake. I was referring to a game that was suspended due to rain and will be completed at a later date.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
My mistake. I was referring to a game that was suspended due to rain and will be completed at a later date.
Can you recall what the specific game conditions were when the game was suspended?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Can you recall what the specific game conditions were when the game was suspended?
I'll answer for him: it was very rainy.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Rain Delays

I've never has a game postponed, but several cancelled. I also find pitchers can return to game and pitch on without effect
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
I'll answer for him: it was very rainy.
Game conditions, not weather conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
I've never has a game postponed, but several cancelled. I also find pitchers can return to game and pitch on without effect
OOTP doesn't do cancelled games. All games postponed by weather are made up (unlike in real life).
Old 09-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
I also find pitchers can return to game and pitch on without effect
These generalized sledgehammer claims all the time...

No, they can't, at least not in a modern league environment, and if the delay was too long and/or they have already thrown a substantial number of pitches before the delay. Stamina also factors in a bit.

I find that a pitcher that throws 30 pitches or less before a rain delay of 30 minutes or less has little to no adverse effect on how long it takes for him to tire. Contrary, a pitcher with about 60 pitches or more and a rain delay of 60 minutes or more will usually be toast by the time play resumes. Stamina may modify these values, and in between it's a bit uncertain.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I wish I could, but I don't actually remember the specifics and when I go back on my schedule to look for it, that date is blank.
I'm guessing it won't record the game until it is resumed and completed?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Play on, MrBojangles. Isn't that a cat on TV?

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Well, I think realism and wet playing conditions are actually the main point

That being said, as mentioned by others here, pitchers should/do get tired over the delay.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #16
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Well, I think realism and wet playing conditions are actually the main point

That being said, as mentioned by others here, pitchers should/do get tired over the delay.
I would point out that the rules around rain delays have changed over time as well. At one point the Official Baseball Rules stated that after a 30-minute rain delay an umpire could call the game, either ending it at that point or making it a suspended game, depending on the circumstances. Nowadays, hours-long rain delays are not unknown.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
OOTP doesn't do cancelled games. All games postponed by weather are made up (unlike in real life).
pretty sure ive seen one
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

It may have been in an earlier version? This past season, the game wanted me to delay the postseason by two days so that a team well and truly eliminated from the playoffs could make up two meaningless postponed games against fellow non-playoff teams.

I just removed the games from the schedule manually and was on my merry way.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
pretty sure ive seen one
From what I understand, due to limitations in the financial engine, teams in OOTP have to have their entire slate of home games played out. Thus, all postponed games are made up at some point, even if by real-life rule they shouldn't be.

I presume all suspended games are likewise completed at some point. (In the real-life minor leagues, sometimes suspended games are not completed at a later date.)
Old 09-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Bobfather
All Star Starter

From what I have notices there does not seem to be a drop off of my pitchers stamina after a rain delay. Now then I do have a relatively quick hook due to a deep bullpen.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote