Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

Is In Game Play Slower?

I play out all my games. In this version - OOTP17 - I notice that it takes a split second to load the player names or move the players along the bases. I don't play in 3D just the traditional broadcast mode. Anyone else notice this? Or perhaps something is now different for just me?
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Reggie
Major Leagues

I get long delays when I'm asked to make a choice to advance a base or not. Sometimes I worry the game locked up. 5 or 6 second delay sometimes. I also notice that there are several steps in updating in game stats. Like if a run scores on an out it will adjust the pitches era twice. Don't remember seeing that before.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
I play out all my games. In this version - OOTP17 - I notice that it takes a split second to load the player names or move the players along the bases. I don't play in 3D just the traditional broadcast mode. Anyone else notice this? Or perhaps something is now different for just me?
It is slower. Not sure if you see it, but with 17 my cursor turns into a blue spinning circle on every play, before I can move towards the next play. I've gotten used to it, but it does slow things down. It's more clunky than earlier versions. I now move the cursor off the screen so I don't have to see the spinning wheel. I believe that even though I have graphics/3D turned off, OOTP still has to process the 3D animation, thus the spinning cursor and choppier updates and new batter/runner presentation. What has me scared is how long is this delay/spinning wheel going to get as the 3D graphics get more and more elaborate.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #4
BKL
All Star Reserve

Yes the spinning circle is what I get too. Never got that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
It is slower. Not sure if you see it, but with 17 my cursor turns into a blue spinning circle on every play, before I can move towards the next play. I've gotten used to it, but it does slow things down. It's more clunky than earlier versions. I now move the cursor off the screen so I don't have to see the spinning wheel. I believe that even though I have graphics/3D turned off, OOTP still has to process the 3D animation, thus the spinning cursor and choppier updates and new batter/runner presentation. What has me scared is how long is this delay/spinning wheel going to get as the 3D graphics get more and more elaborate.
I just migrated my first league over to OOTP 17, and I'm having this issue as well. I play one-pitch mode with instant PbP specifically so I can play out every game relatively quickly.

Is there any way to kill the 3D background processing if I decide I don't want to watch that way, but don't want slower in-game responsiveness than I had in OOTP 16?
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

There should be no difference if you watch in broadcast mode. We do not calculate the 3d movements unless if you are watching the 3d.

With every iteration of the games some things do change, so it's possible some things will be a bit slower, but I would not expect it to be noticeably different.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
There should be no difference if you watch in broadcast mode. We do not calculate the 3d movements unless if you are watching the 3d.

With every iteration of the games some things do change, so it's possible some things will be a bit slower, but I would not expect it to be noticeably different.
The reason I'm inclined to "blame" the 3D for it is that I see the same processing delay when I select any of the shift options, even when in Broadcast mode. I can't imagine anything outside of the 3D engine caring about doing anything with my shift settings prior to initiating a pitch, I would presume that the PA outcomes are determined from all inputs being combined once I've clicked "pitch away" or the equivalent action button. I definitely see the spinning wheel in Win 7 with each shift selection, not just when I am initiating an action. I flipped over to 3D mode for comparison and noticed zero speed difference. I am on build 60.

EDIT - The other possibility I can think of is that some historical ballpark pictures seem to slow down in-game managing simulation speed. I vaguely remember having this issue in OOTP 16, but don't recall if it was an equivalent difference. I'll swap out some ballpark pictures and see if it makes any difference during my next home game.

Last edited by JMDurron; 07-15-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:

There is a definite delay in broadcast mode if you send a runner home from third on a fly ball, hit etc. Several seconds go by before the text is displayed with the outcome.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
JcBoscan
Minors (Single A)

I noticed the split-second delay as well when I first got 17. It irritated me a little at first, but then I bumped up the text speed a little on the play-by-play and that kind of compensated for the small delay. I don't even notice it now.
JcBoscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Is In Game Play Slower?

Quote:

Unfortunately, it's noticeably different. It's definitely a bit slower than the other versions. I suggest that the devs look at it and find out what makes it slower. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's irritating...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by themonk; 07-15-2016 at 08:57 PM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #11
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcBoscan View Post
I noticed the split-second delay as well when I first got 17. It irritated me a little at first, but then I bumped up the text speed a little on the play-by-play and that kind of compensated for the small delay. I don't even notice it now.
The problem for me is that I was already on "Instant" in OOTP 16, so there's no bumping up the text speed option for me.

Some of the daytime ballpark pictures definitely seem slower (Fenway, Arlington in 1988 jump out), but it's still slower than OOTP 16 even with the less-laggy pictures (another thing I've never really been able to explain, but when there's another easy picture to use I don't care so much once I remember to swap them out).