Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Better Schedule Generation?

One thing that's holding OOTP back right now is the inability to create unbalanced or interleague schedules. In OOTP12 and earlier this wasn't much of a problem, but then the Astros moving to the AL screwed it up in OOTP13 and onwards.

Given that FHM already has schedule generation to some extent, it should be possible to at the very least schedule interleague games to fix the infamous schedule expansion glitch.

Now that many of us are playing larger leagues that StickWare can't handle, unbalanced schedule generation should be possible as well. It's 2014, we shouldn't have to use limited external generators anymore.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

FHM has no schedule generator or schedule editor.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Schedule generation is one of the most complex things to code, unfortunately. There is a reason why all real life schedules are created by hand in a process that takes weeks. So, don't expect the schedule generator to change in OOTP 15, sorry.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Schedule generation is one of the most complex things to code, unfortunately. There is a reason why all real life schedules are created by hand in a process that takes weeks. So, don't expect the schedule generator to change in OOTP 15, sorry.
Would it be possible to have the generator do more with off days than making them every 13 days for every team?

And if not, would it be possible to include even more pre-made schedules then? I know there are like 900 as it is, but there are still some reasonably common (at least to me) league formats that don't have schedules or only have one schedule.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Riverdome
All Star Reserve

What I would like to see from the community is a manual schedule generation 101 type of tutorial. I've done it and it's very difficult and time consuming. There must be shortcuts that would make the process easier and help ensure a more robust output.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
This has always been my assumption; in that case, I strongly suggest that the "schedule length" portion of League Evolution be set OFF by default.

This thread is just the latest in a long line of issues that have resulted from the schedule generator being unable to handle the new season length set by the game. Bwburke has another link in his signature.

If the schedule generator can't be changed (and I understand why, trust me), then we're faced with two options: turn League Evolution (or at least the schedule length portion) OFF by default, or make it so that the schedule length only changes to a setup that the game already has a schedule file for. It breaks the game otherwise.

EDIT: Three options, actually, since the issue is mostly with the game's inability to generate interleague play. You could make it so that the season length is not allowed to change if Interleague is enabled.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 01-24-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
This has always been my assumption; in that case, I strongly suggest that the "schedule length" portion of League Evolution be set OFF by default.

This thread is just the latest in a long line of issues that have resulted from the schedule generator being unable to handle the new season length set by the game. Bwburke has another link in his signature.

If the schedule generator can't be changed (and I understand why, trust me), then we're faced with two options: turn League Evolution (or at least the schedule length portion) OFF by default, or make it so that the schedule length only changes to a setup that the game already has a schedule file for. It breaks the game otherwise.

EDIT: Three options, actually, since the issue is mostly with the game's inability to generate interleague play. You could make it so that the season length is not allowed to change if Interleague is enabled.
OK, I'll find a solution...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I don't care for every team in my leagues having every 13th day off so I use the schedule editor to reschedule games as doubleheaders and single games on that day instead of every team having the same day off.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
statmeister
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
What I would like to see from the community is a manual schedule generation 101 type of tutorial. I've done it and it's very difficult and time consuming. There must be shortcuts that would make the process easier and help ensure a more robust output.
Here is a link to a brief tutorial GMO did a while back.

Making Baseball Schedules
Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
One thing that's holding OOTP back right now is the inability to create unbalanced or interleague schedules. In OOTP12 and earlier this wasn't much of a problem, but then the Astros moving to the AL screwed it up in OOTP13 and onwards.

Given that FHM already has schedule generation to some extent, it should be possible to at the very least schedule interleague games to fix the infamous schedule expansion glitch.

Now that many of us are playing larger leagues that StickWare can't handle, unbalanced schedule generation should be possible as well. It's 2014, we shouldn't have to use limited external generators anymore.
GMO's set of 30X15/15 MLB interleague schedules is fantastic. I'm only up to 12 seasons in one league and 6 in the other.

I have some free time on my hands. Maybe I'll try to do some schedules.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote