Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLB Manager - Suggestions

MLB Manager - Suggestions Please help us to improve the game and post your suggestions / ideas in this forum!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

A few improvements

First let me say that I'm glad this game came to the iPhone! I have been playing Football Manager ever since it came to the iPhone and I've been waiting for a baseball version! That being said, I believe there are a few things that iOOTP can learn from footy manager and some improvements that NEED to be made if the iOOTP series is going to continue to be successful in the years to come.

1) Speed up the game! Once you get into a few seasons (like 5 or so), the game becomes so slow that it's almost unresponsive. I know that there is a lot going on, but games like Football Manager 11 do not have this issue and their player database is almost twice as big. Before adding too many features, I would invest times in improving your algorithms and make sure the game plays with the same speed from start to finish (like Football Manager does). I understand that sorting and searching for players through thousands of players can take a while, and I am fine with there being some lag when I start sorting through players, but what I am talking about is the delay when doing simple things like trying to extend a player's contract. After the first few years there is a few seconds delay when I click the button to when the action actually takes place. And it's like that with everything, not just player contracts. It becomes hard to swap players in the depth charts because you have to hold for a few seconds over a player before you can move them to their new spot.

2) I would also rework the interface. It is VERY hard to pick up an play as the interface is bulky and rather confusing. In talking with the devs over on the football manager forums, Marc said that the main goal of the handheld version of football manager was to make sure that the game is easy to pick up and play for everyone. It took me a day or two to get used to iOOTP (since I have never played the full version on the PC) and it wasn't that way with football manager.

3) I have only been on the forums for about 5 minutes, but please please please developers make sure you are interactive with everyone here on the forums. That customer interaction is what has kept FMHi fun because the developers continue to interact with and take suggestions from their fans and release continuous updates. If you guys are already like that over here at iOOTP, then bravo!

4) I know it's a lot to simulate and it might be too indepth for a handheld game, but is there anyway that we could get some sort of stats for AAA teams? Of course, I am fine with the current level of depth to the game if you guys can speed up game like I already mentioned in #1.

5) BETTER FILTERING. I like that you can filter by position, but what about by player attribute? Player age?

6) Can you make a players defensive abilities more visible in the player list views? Not just how good they are at a given position, but also show how good their infield arm, infield range, catcher arm, outfield arm, etc. It gets rather cumbersome (especially after the first few years when the game really slows down) trying to find good defensive players in the list of hundreds of players.

Good game guys, hope there are a couple of updates to it soon.
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspeedo View Post

3) I have only been on the forums for about 5 minutes, but please please please developers make sure you are interactive with everyone here on the forums. That customer interaction is what has kept FMHi fun because the developers continue to interact with and take suggestions from their fans and release continuous updates. If you guys are already like that over here at iOOTP, then bravo!
Spoke too soon, the devs are active! Yay!

I hate it when devs just completely ignore the users like they do over at EA Sports....
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

An alternative to filtering rating is to press either the OVR or POT on the search screen. What generation iDevice do you have? I'm on my 11th season and it's working fine
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgimasian View Post
An alternative to filtering rating is to press either the OVR or POT on the search screen. What generation iDevice do you have? I'm on my 11th season and it's working fine
iPhone 4.

It's a memory leak that's causing the slow down. When I play for a few seasons at a time (I sim all games) each season is noticeably slower than the previous. I've tried closing every other app to free up memory, but it's not working.

I have found that if I completely shut my phone off and then turn it back on, then it will be back to normal.

As for filtering, it's kind of hard to see how good a player is at defense. Yeah you can get an idea of their overall at a position, but you can't see how good their arm is & etc without clicking on each player individually. This makes finding players to fit my system rather cumbersome. If there was a filter I could just filter all 2nd basemen by infield range +15 (on the 1-20 scale) and then also filter by 2nd basemen overall +15. This way I don't click on that SS who has a 1 overall for 2nd base. I just think it would enhance the experience without adding any new data to bog the game down.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

yeah that makes sense, there ends up being relievers who appear when i search for right fielders too...

you can buy the System app which allows for a quick nonactive kill to solve the memory problem
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote