Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
smythejd
All Star Reserve

I was hoping 19 would fix this but ...

I have been playing OOTP for quite some time now (around 6 years). I always play as GM and have a fictional league approaching 200 years. I enjoy the trading and building of the franchise. My specialty is building a great farm system which continually produces prospects. Some work out and some do not, but that is the fun in seeing how things pan out.

I have to say that I love the improvements each years game produces. The game really does get harder and harder each and every year and the 3D is just awesome.

BUT there is one aspect of this game which frustrates me to no end. Why do the player ratings change from screen to screen??? I look around to trade for a player, find someone with 4 stars and as I am doing further research find that he is really just a 2 star player. What happened??? Why can this game not be consistent?

Below is the most resent journey through a proposed trade I was thinking about.

Image 1 shows me I have a guy that gets me excited to trade for..
Image 2 reaffirms that impression
Image 3 makes me pull my hair out - and let me tell you guys, I do not have a lot of hair anymore.

I love this game and am not going anywhere but COME ON!
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
smythejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smythejd View Post
I have been playing OOTP for quite some time now (around 6 years). I always play as GM and have a fictional league approaching 200 years. I enjoy the trading and building of the franchise. My specialty is building a great farm system which continually produces prospects. Some work out and some do not, but that is the fun in seeing how things pan out.

I have to say that I love the improvements each years game produces. The game really does get harder and harder each and every year and the 3D is just awesome.

BUT there is one aspect of this game which frustrates me to no end. Why do the player ratings change from screen to screen??? I look around to trade for a player, find someone with 4 stars and as I am doing further research find that he is really just a 2 star player. What happened??? Why can this game not be consistent?

Image 3 makes me pull my hair out - and let me tell you guys, I do not have a lot of hair anymore.

Could be the difference between your scout, and the OSA scout. Game > Game Settings > Global Settings > Scouting Settings > Scouting Accuracy

If scouting accuracy is set to anything but 100% Accurate, you will get fog of war, because IRL scouts differ on player ratings, so in game your scout may disagree with the OSA scout.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #3
andyhdz
All Star Starter

It must be those flying cars...2193? Wow.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the profile he screen shot is the "head scout" so he is comparing apples to apples.

i don't think this happens in my games, but i'm going to have to look into it. maybe it's related to resolution of teh scale used? i always use 1-100for ratings and 20-80 for overall. i also pay little attention to overall/potential. when i search for trade targets i use filters on stuff/movement/control. so i guess i'd probably not notice if it is occuring.

while the overall is different, the three visible ratings from scouting report and profile remain the same... so, no relevant information has changed.

you shoudln't even be concerned with their overall -- it can sway due to stats too, as well as being a mash up of individual ratings that multiple combinations can equal the same overalll so it tells you very littel about expected results for this reason.

should it match, yes, i agree with you. it does match in the most important ways at least. i don'tthink stats brought it down... the game log shows a fairly successful cumulative e.r.a. .. so still a bit of a mystery what it doesn't match. clearly its somethign in the calculation of overal... does it always occur after the season? maybe it's screwed up and not discouting "current" year and calculating it as a "0" at that point in time which would cause a significant drop due to missing stats... (it's supposed to re-weight when current years isn't "enough" and does so automatically behind the scenese for good reasons).

3/5
3/5
1/2
all the same for stuff, movement and control on each screen. overall is different but probably due to stats or god knows what. that's at best a very weak correlation to results as compared to assessing the individual ratings on your own. nothing lost or gained..

Last edited by NoOne; 04-15-2018 at 07:07 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
smythejd
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Could be the difference between your scout, and the OSA scout. Game > Game Settings > Global Settings > Scouting Settings > Scouting Accuracy

If scouting accuracy is set to anything but 100% Accurate, you will get fog of war, because IRL scouts differ on player ratings, so in game your scout may disagree with the OSA scout.
Thanks Actionjackson, my scouting is set for "very low" and I agree with the difference between OSA and my scout. But the third image shows that my scout and the OSA agree that he is a 2 star player.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

An answer from the people in the know would be fantastic. Everything else is just a guess.

It does appears you are comparing apples to apples (scout view in each case) which is a good thing.
And one would think the information should be reflected across all views as current. In other words, there should not be a "FoW" within your scouting department on the same date. That said, I get that there may be huge discrepancies between OSA and you scout at times, but not scout to scout comparisons between windows.

As players are not scouted "daily" possibly there is a lag between the views reflecting current information (weeks or months lag)?
I would assume the bottom window might reflect the current information, in light of the trend down from a 4 to 2 star?? And the top two windows might just not reflect "current" status on that date?

Having the windows/information all update simultaneously would be awesome (IF that indeed is the problem).
Or at least knowing when the update would be reflected across the board (first of the month, quarterly, annually) would be a weaker, but secondary option?

PURELY A GUESS BTW.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
smythejd
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
does it always occur after the season? .
Thanks "NoOne"

Over the years this has occurred often. When I have noticed it I would "re-set" the game by going to "League Settings> Run OSA & Human Scouts Rescout" and the game would reset itself and all the ratings would agree. I would have to do this 2 to 3 times a season. No problems. But OOTP19 will not reset. Very frustrating
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
smythejd
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg59 View Post
An answer from the people in the know would be fantastic.
I agree and thanks for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg59 View Post
As players are not scouted "daily" possibly there is a lag between the views reflecting current information (weeks or months lag)?
I would assume the bottom window might reflect the current information, in light of the trend down from a 4 to 2 star?? And the top two windows might just not reflect "current" status on that date?
I get the lag idea and it does have merit but I ran a rescout right before I took these screen shots and it is still occurring. Actually I looked up his history of rankings and the best he ever got is 3½ stars. The only 4 star rating are on these screens but no scout (that I can see) has ever given him that rating.

Last edited by smythejd; 04-15-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
malor
Major Leagues

Yes. This is a common occurrence. I see it all the time.
malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Why do the player ratings change from screen to screen???
But, they don't. NoOne is absolutely right, the RELEVANT ratings do not change.

Guys get way too caught up in overall, both current and potential. Stars are especially bad but even the number scales can be too. They are ok as a way to draw your eye but you have to dig deeper to see what the player's skills really are. With that in mind you should never discount a player either because of low stars. If you want guys with good stuff and control then search for those guys by those ratings.

I look for players based on their skills and, if they've played enough, their body of stats. Sure I start with the "big three" contact\power\eye for hitters, stuff\movement\control for Ps but also look hard their entire skill set. The AI too is not looking at stars or overall comparison to make a trade it looks to stats and individual skills. You have offered 4 players for 1 and I guarantee the AI hasn't looked at any of them and thought "oh boy, I'm getting a 3 star player in this deal!!!" It's looking at trading away an 18 yr old 3-3-1 with upside being 5-5-2 (if it agrees with your scout's opinion) along with stats, personality, where the incoming players fit the organization etc. and basing it's decision on that. Not on how many stars any of the players currently have or are projected to have.

Would it be nice if the stars matched all the time? Sure but it's so irrelevant it doesn't really make any difference as long as the individual skills are consistent.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:

The difference I think & what I can observe is 1 rating (lower) is as a Starting Pitcher & the other (higher) is as a Closer...
His card obviously states him as a BORDELINE STARTER.

Just my opinion, but i've noticed thru the years I've played changing a Starter to a Closer bumps up ratings & I think because of more types of pitches he throws
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This has been much better as of late, but I started noticing it again yesterday myself...I am wondering if the latest patch had anything to do with it?

Honestly though, I am at the point where I feel turning them off is the best thing really. I feel in doing so, I can change the default AI evaluation to a more 50/50 split between ratings and stats. I still think is was a mistake to bring them back after they were eliminated in 2006.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 04-15-2018 at 11:08 AM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
But, they don't. NoOne is absolutely right, the RELEVANT ratings do not change.

Guys get way too caught up in overall, both current and potential. Stars are especially bad but even the number scales can be too. They are ok as a way to draw your eye but you have to dig deeper to see what the player's skills really are. With that in mind you should never discount a player either because of low stars. If you want guys with good stuff and control then search for those guys by those ratings.

I look for players based on their skills and, if they've played enough, their body of stats. Sure I start with the "big three" contact\power\eye for hitters, stuff\movement\control for Ps but also look hard their entire skill set. The AI too is not looking at stars or overall comparison to make a trade it looks to stats and individual skills. You have offered 4 players for 1 and I guarantee the AI hasn't looked at any of them and thought "oh boy, I'm getting a 3 star player in this deal!!!" It's looking at trading away an 18 yr old 3-3-1 with upside being 5-5-2 (if it agrees with your scout's opinion) along with stats, personality, where the incoming players fit the organization etc. and basing it's decision on that. Not on how many stars any of the players currently have or are projected to have.

Would it be nice if the stars matched all the time? Sure but it's so irrelevant it doesn't really make any difference as long as the individual skills are consistent.
Makes OOTP look sloppy and inconsistent.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
The difference I think & what I can observe is 1 rating (lower) is as a Starting Pitcher & the other (higher) is as a Closer...

Just my opinion, but i've noticed thru the years I've played changing a Starter to a Closer bumps up ratings & I think because of more types of pitches he throws
This definitely looks to be what is happening in this instance based on those screenshots.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #15
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:

Good catch. Notice that the assessments of Jorge Ventura as a closer all agree that he's a 4-star talent. All assessments of him as a starting pitcher agree he's a 2-star talent. If you look at his very low control attribute and that fact that he only has 2 good pitches, this difference makes a good amount of sense.

The take home point would be to make sure to compare apples to apples as far as future/potential role.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

when you change an sp role to an rp role, it affects what you see.. immediately. no rescout needed.

the suggested role isn't affecting what you see though.

stuff will always jump when switch to an RP. does it jump more in some circumstances? reasonable to assume so. it's a different weighting system for their pitches.

It's obviously calling on 2 different calculations OR some qualification is somehow not used or sued OR etc there is clearly a causal difference and it's repeatable / recreateable. figuring out how to exactly re-create it will solve your mystery if you care enough to do so...

the real ratings remain the same.. overall is an objectively poorer method to evaluate a player. it's liek choosing to bet against the ods in vegas when you use overall over the more fundamental and basic individual ratings. they are strongly correlated to specific aspects of performance.. that's all you need to use.

should it match? from a professional standpoint most definitely i agree. i think the failure to sort on some screens is incredibly embarassing too. i hesitate to say.. was it fixed this year? lol... can't sort a column by name in accomplishents etc.. holy %$#?!?! lol.

but, in grand scheme, if alotting resources elsewhere creates a better game i am happy to shelve my neruticism about this malfunciton in sorting... soemthing that has no real obstacle to doing properly.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-16-2018 at 11:09 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
Galeg
Major Leagues

I just recently noticed this happen and was able to recreate it during the draft. When I first went into the draft I was getting all of the ratings based on my scout. Of course, when I look at individual profiles of each player I switch back and forth between my scout and OSA, but sometimes I noticed that when I backed out into the main draft screen the ratings would look different then when I had clicked on a player. I believe I was seeing OSA ratings on the main screen even though there was no option for it. Was able to recreate by clicking on a player, changing to OSA ratings, and then backing out into the main draft screen.

Seems like a bug to me, but maybe it is intentional to keep the rating setting as the last view you selected.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote